Smittybilt Scout vs. CVT trailer

xtrmoverland

that is an awesome looking build...the cleanest i have seen so far...i really like the additional side box and the spare wheel mount...very impressed!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
that is an awesome looking build...the cleanest i have seen so far...i really like the additional side box and the spare wheel mount...very impressed!

Thanks amigo.
I think that is the beauty of the Smitty. It offers a lot of space and room to install extras, and modify it. As it sits there in the picture, we are about $9k, or just under. Not bad for a tool.....uhmmmmm… ehhh... Toy... :) :)

steelponycowboy

I've already decided to buy the Scout in 2019. Yes SB has been berated by a few because their products are made in China. I have yet to see, in my 40 years of off-roading (I know SB and others haven't been around that long) any product made by Smittybilt that has been inferior to a similar made in America product nor have I seen any of their products fail. So there is an issue with the tongue needing to be reinforced, how many tens of thousands of hard off road miles did it take to find that out and when they did, they've provided a solution.

Sure there are lots of great trailers out there but none that can compare to the Scout for features and price. I could not build one for that price having the same features as the Scout, I know, I've built 3 off road trailers in the past 10 years. I've talked to several owners who have nothing but praise after a year or more with heavy off-road use (no issues with the tongue or anything else). They all say full featured, well built and thousands less that anything similar out there.

My only issue with the Scout is the tailgate. I would rather it open down and hang than the way they have it now opening to the right where it is in the way and perhaps prone to damage.

I've read the posts about mounting the spare to the rear, and piling gerry cans and gear on the front to end up with a 300+ lb tongue weight, that is just crazy. There are so many other options for mounting other heavy gear on one of these like RotoPax fuel cans. Besides those heavy tongue weights are creating other issues on your Jeep (or other vehicle) like the suspension (one person had to put air bags in the rear of his vehicle which have their own set of issues when you off road) and on a Jeep Wrangler, it's pushing the limits of the factory recommendations. I guess one thing that all that weight is good for is to keep the trailer from being a wiggle wagon due to the added weight of the spare and perhaps poor load distribution.

robepa

I have the scout and really enjoy it and wold recommend it out side of the structural failure issue. I am more concerned that 6+ months on they do not have a fix for all trailers (AKA mine) than I am that the issue happened. My trailer has gusset in the location where the tongue bolts to the main body, those do not have a fix last I checked a few weeks ago. Also the failures that happened to my knowledge happen fairly quickly on the units that failed. 20180901_111202 (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles