VW production plans for a midsize pickup

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
FFS why!?

Midsize trucks shouldn’t even be a thing. The engines are anemic, the transmissions are terrible, the seat angle is no different than a car. I just don’t get it.

Sure the Taco is popular, but it’s only worth a crap in its nearly 50k configuration.

Same with the Colorado.

Whats worse, you can’t even use them as a truck. Try fitting a sheet of plywood or Sheetrock in a midsize.

But to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetrock and ply are delivered to your driveway for free. Even my f250 will never see that. But it was nice having the room when I moved. And I fill the bed with my yard every weekend for the past year. Landscaping is fun, not.

docwatson

Adventurer
Importing the Amarok would most likely require VW to pay the "chicken tax." A new truck manufactured in the US would circumvent that tax and keep prices competitive. Also look around you, 5' boxes are the norm. The NA market is going more and more to SUV/Truck/CUV, evidenced by Ford's move away from sedans.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Importing the Amarok would most likely require VW to pay the "chicken tax." A new truck manufactured in the US would circumvent that tax and keep prices competitive. Also look around you, 5' boxes are the norm. The NA market is going more and more to SUV/Truck/CUV, evidenced by Ford's move away from sedans.
It's why Toyota built NUMMI in the 1990s, Tacomas are domestic trucks. Four door trucks aren't my thing but for a long time they were rare here and people clamored for the ones they saw overseas, so I don't think it's really unusual. The reason they existed I think in other places was they needed something substantial to carry people, thus 4 door trucks, body-on-frame trucks like Prado and Pajero, over poorer roads. The CUVs I see as just tall cars, even SUVs and "trucks" like the Honda and this VW, most vehicles really aren't trucks anymore. Other than pickups about the only vehicles that could still be called trucks are 4Runners and Tahoes. Even the Ford vans are unibody. Which alone doesn't mean anything since they have leaf springs and live rear axles. So the line is indistinct for sure. The Dodge van is front wheel drive, isn't it? I dunno, I guess traditional definitions and criteria don't really apply anymore.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Looks like the resurrection of the sporty car/truck idea from the late '60's to early '70 (i.e. Chevrolet el Camino, Ford Ranchero).

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
This VW truck is just like the many of the other new Crossover vehicles available in the market today.

It's still a 4 door CAR without a trunk-lid!

Just like a 4 door car people purchased in the past and many PU buyer's today these same buyers will use this 4 door VW Truck for daily transportation and little else! (Calling this VW a Truck being generous)

Another variation on America's obsession with vehicles that are different than anywhere else in the world and that is reflected in the varied types of vehicles that are only available in the North American market.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Ok. Right. Sure.

Let's put 2000# in the bed and set up some road cones. I've been in 1 ton trucks that could barely haul that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ok. Right. Sure.

Let's put 2000# in the bed and set up some road cones. I've been in 1 ton trucks that could barely haul that.
Apples-to-squirrels. A 1 ton means it can carry 2,000 lbs of stuff in the bed and these numbers are payload, meaning cargo + passengers + fuel. Since it's a 4 seat truck you have to assume 800 lbs of that is people, another 175 is fuel in the tank. That's why a F350 has a payload capacity of 4,000 lbs or whatever it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles