Trailer tongue length

ngirondo

Hey guys I’m in the process of building a M416 trailer for off-roading and in just wondering how long should the tongue? I will be towing it with a Jeep JKU.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
When I had my M416, I had the tongue lengthened so I could open the tire-carrier when connected . I also added an additional length so I could step over the tongue from side to side.

The extra length also helps in backing up the trailer.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
agreed, long enough to open your tailgate is just fine for not only that purpose but backing up as described above..
.This is how did mine...
. I used ⅛ wall 2x4 tube///6a.jpgTrailer10 copy.jpgTrail2.jpg3
TrailerT1.jpgTrailerT2.jpgTrailerT3.jpgTrailerT4.jpgTrailerT5.jpg

Last edited:

Hoghead

Observer
I lengthened mine just enough so I could jackknife it just a little past 90 degrees. Also have a m416 with a JKU. Lengthening it long enough to open the tailgate and or tire carrier is a must though.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
No guess work here.
Rule of a thump calls for:
a. the total length from the coupler to the hub should be equal to the tow rig's wheelbase
b. the axle should be in a 60/40 manner of the tub (if you spread the load even on the tub)
c. the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer's weight (loaded).
These factors will dectate your tongue's length if you want:
a. to tow with safety
b. your trailer to follow you like a dog (exact same track)
c. back up easy
Everything else comes next...
Just my 2 cents...

rnArmy

Adventurer
Long enough so your tailgate or swing-away spare tire carrier will clear the trailer's tub (or whatever you have mounted on the trailer's frame in front of the tub) and will allow you to jack-knife the trailer 90-degrees without anything hitting.

When I put a new swing-away spare tire carrier on my Jeep (first picture), I had to lengthen the tongue about eight inches for it to clear (second and third picture).tongue.3.jpgTongue.15.jpgtongue.31.jpgcamping.1.jpg

Last edited:

bluejeep

just a guy
The ability to "jack knife to 90 degrees" is most important if you pull the trailer on some more difficult offroad tracks, and have to back up to, for instance, bend around a tight switch back corner. In many other uses, such as towing to a camp site and then hitting the trails without the trailer, it may not be so critical to be able to jack knife to that degree.

jwiereng

No guess work here.
tongue's length if you want:
a. to tow with safety
c. back up easy
Just my 2 cents...

If you want the trailer wheels to follow the exact same path in turn as the rear wheel of the tow vehicle there are 2 things that must match.

1. Trailer wheels must be same width as tow vehicle

2 The distance from hitch to rear axle on tow vehicle must be equal to the distance from hitch to trailer axle.

This exact tracking is difficult to achieve with jeeps and such because the rear axle is close to the hitch.

This exact tracking is not the only design goal when making a trailer, and often should not be top priority. High speed stability, ease or backing up or the ability to jackknife to 90 or more are often take priority of exact tracking.

brian90744

American Trekker
Check out post=
easy tongue extension on M416, no weld.

Hey guys I’m in the process of building a M416 trailer for off-roading and in just wondering how long should the tongue? I will be towing it with a Jeep JKU.

Last edited:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
If you want the trailer wheels to follow the exact same path in turn as the rear wheel of the tow vehicle there are 2 things that must match.

1. Trailer wheels must be same width as tow vehicle

2 The distance from hitch to rear axle on tow vehicle must be equal to the distance from hitch to trailer axle.

This exact tracking is difficult to achieve with jeeps and such because the rear axle is close to the hitch.

This exact tracking is not the only design goal when making a trailer, and often should not be top priority. High speed stability, ease or backing up or the ability to jackknife to 90 or more are often take priority of exact tracking.

It's the axle's width (from center of one wheel to the center of the opposite side wheel) that matters and should be equal between tow vehicle
and trailer.If this is what you mean,yes you are right.
No 2,sorry but doesn;t make sence.It;s what i wrote before (the total length from the coupler to the hub should be equal to the tow rig's wheelbase)
that dictates the same path for tow vehicle and trailer.
Been there done that with a Jeep TJ ;-) and jackknifing too np.

No guess work here.
Rule of a thump calls for:
a. the total length from the coupler to the hub should be equal to the tow rig's wheelbase
b. the axle should be in a 60/40 manner of the tub (if you spread the load even on the tub)
c. the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer's weight (loaded).
These factors will dectate your tongue's length if you want:
a. to tow with safety
c. back up easy
Just my 2 cents...

Good info! What about trailer axle width? My trailer stance is wider since i added big tires so now it jacknifes really easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArkansasDon

Observer
what I've read & built my tongue to was "minimum" tongue length when attached to the tow vehicle can be at a 90-degree angle. Mine is tad over 6ft 3", another issue over looked is tongue weight. I researched 6 months of information took notes before I started my build. Theirs a few Facebook adventure groups members build their own trailers & have major towing issues because they do not research the information needed on tongue length or tongue weight. Trailer tongue weight should be 9 to 15% of the trailers GTW. These guys rushed into the build w\o any direction or valid information, just guess work & hear say from the group they got their information. I am NO expert on trailer construction but I knew during my build I continuously read a lot of information on trailer frames, tongue designs, & tongue weight for the application I was building. My trailer tows like a dream, backs up like a dream.
004.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior