Not sure where to post this...SO! buying a new truck. Thoughts?

tacollie

Glamper
It's hard to beat the Nissan. It's what I wanted when I bought my taco but there just weren't many used access cabs locally. Our 05 CCSB fronter was problem free for 111k miles when we sold. It had plenty of room for two people, three dogs, and all our stuff.

(none)

Adventurer
I went through this dilemma earlier this year and went with the Nissan. #1 limiting factor for me was I wanted a manual transmission. That knocked it down to a Tacoma and Frontier. Sticker on the two are fairly close, but actual paying price is way different. I ended up with a leftover '17 Pro4x manual trans for around $10k less than a comparable taco would have been. I think that taco looks better, but I'm very happy with the little frontier.

As for the shorter bed, I really wanted a clubcab with the longer bed, but ended up with a crew cab short bed. A few things I've noted:
-I appreciate the interior room. I have my dometic fridge behind the driver's seat. It fits perfectly even with my seat all the way back. I have removed the rear driver's side seat and made a shelf for the fridge.
-If you plan to purchase a cap, no one makes vented windoors for the short bed Nissan. My plan was to have the cap so the dog can ride back there. I ended up with a regular windoor on the driver's side and a sliding window in the passanger side. It's a compromise, but I'm good with it.
-The main reason I was going to get the longer bed was to haul a motorcycle. Loading a motorcycle into the bed of a truck blows. I'd rather just have a trailer or hitch carrier. Both of which I now use. No need for a long bed.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm basing that statement on additional fuel filters, more frequent oil/filter changes with synthetics, DEF and the previously mentioned regen cycles due to my typical driving. Should have also included the higher initial purchase and fuel (in my area) cost as that was a contributing factor to my decision.

Don't forget the exorbitant cost of repairs when they break as well as the increased cost to insure it.

autism family travels

I was looking at the same trucks last November. Ended up getting an F150 for the same price...and getting muuuch more truck.

That depends. What do you consider “much more truck”? Does your truck have sunroof, spray in bed liner at no extra cost, gear management in the rear bed, roof rack, rear selectable locker, navigation, leather heated seats, Rockford fosgate level audio system, supple off road suspension and more? My dad has a 2017 and my brother has a 2018 f150, they both paid thousands more and got only the selectable rear locker. I think I have much more truck than them. If you consider only size as being “more truck”, and you have a 17 or newer f150, follow me off road in my fronty, you will find out what more truck really means when you have to do 5 point turns to get around in places the Nissan will swing into without issue.

cwopinger

OP, I have been going through the same dilemma and test driving the same trucks. I ended up going with the Tacoma double cab long bed because it best fit my needs/wants. The Nissan was a close second, but the Toyota checked the most boxes. Congrats on your new truck!

autism family travels

OP, I have been going through the same dilemma and test driving the same trucks. I ended up going with the Tacoma double cab long bed because it best fit my needs/wants. The Nissan was a close second, but the Toyota checked the most boxes. Congrats on your new truck!

Thanks. I was going back and forth too. The Nissan won out on comfort and features.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That depends. What do you consider “much more truck”? Does your truck have sunroof, spray in bed liner at no extra cost, gear management in the rear bed, roof rack, rear selectable locker, navigation, leather heated seats, Rockford fosgate level audio system, supple off road suspension and more? My dad has a 2017 and my brother has a 2018 f150, they both paid thousands more and got only the selectable rear locker. I think I have much more truck than them. If you consider only size as being “more truck”, and you have a 17 or newer f150, follow me off road in my fronty, you will find out what more truck really means when you have to do 5 point turns to get around in places the Nissan will swing into without issue.

Ok, I'll play. My truck can tow two Jeeps and some bikes on a flat bed. Can just ditch the truck at the Walmart or campground closest to the trailhead.

Get the truck that suits your needs. Even the big Super Duties are available for small truck pricing. A Taco just can't do, or go where I need it to.

D

Deleted member 9101

Well let's see, I have much more power, higher GVW, higher tow rating, drasticailly more interior room, great fuel economy, I'll destroy you 0-60, my brakes are larger, my alternator is a small power plant, spray in bed liner was free, the body will never rust, and for ~500.00 I added about 80HP with zero driveability issues.

As for the leather seats, navigation, etc... don't have it nor do I need it. My aftermarket sound system smokes your factory set up and I built my own "gear management system." I have no use for a roof rack and your suspension is only one step above that of a minivan. I paid less and got more truck. If I want frills, I'll drive my wife's Maxima.

Also, I could not care less about how my truck performs off road or on a tight trail.... it will never do either. If you honestly think your Nissan is "more truck" then let's hook to a 7k load and see who climbs to the top of a 6% grade first. I'll even load the stock tune just to make things "fair."

BTW: there is not much of a difference between our turning radius's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's only 4'' wider as well. Slab sided pick ups might not be as pretty as the curvy cabs on little trucks, but way more room. I ''wanted'' to seat
five adults as well.

F250 is 80" wide.
4runner is 76".

D

Deleted member 9101

It's only 4'' wider as well. Slab sided pick ups might not be as pretty as the curvy cabs on little trucks, but way more room. I ''wanted'' to seat
five adults as well.

F250 is 80" wide.
4runner is 76".

I regularly carry four adults and a baby seat. Everyone is comfortable and no one feels squished in like a sardine... that's something a Tacoma or Frontier owner will never be able to say.

autism family travels

Well let's see, I have much more power, higher GVW, higher tow rating, drasticailly more interior room, great fuel economy, I'll destroy you 0-60, my brakes are larger, my alternator is a small power plant, spray in bed liner was free, the body will never rust, and for ~500.00 I added about 80HP with zero driveability issues.

As for the leather seats, navigation, etc... don't have it nor do I need it. My aftermarket sound system smokes your factory set up and I built my own "gear management system." I have no use for a roof rack and your suspension is only one step above that of a minivan. I paid less and got more truck. If I want frills, I'll drive my wife's Maxima.

Also, I could not care less about how my truck performs off road or on a tight trail.... it will never do either. If you honestly think your Nissan is "more truck" then let's hook to a 7k load and see who climbs to the top of a 6% grade first. I'll even load the stock tune just to make things "fair."

BTW: there is not much of a difference between our turning radius's.

HA HA HA>...

TOO FUNNY. There is A ton of difference between the turning radius of the F150 and the frontier. You had to pay to get a stereo to "smoke" my factory system, you had to pay to get your "gear management system", The suspension on the frontier is much better than the F150 considering I have an F150 in my driveway right now.

As for the comment "I don't care about how my truck performs off road or on a tight trail...It will never do either" I think you are the one who should have bought a mini van. I don't care about towing...mine will only tow a small camper and do fine...plus it will put it up trails MUCH easier than your behemoth (EDITED) extension. You need a tuner to create the power to tow ( another expense, who got the better deal now.)….please. I know that full size trucks have a place, again, there is an F150 in my driveway right now....however to say you have MUCH MORE TRUCK is a total farce!

D

Deleted member 9101

People who buy frontiers and tacomas don't want a minivan....sounds like you do!

No, I just want my friends and family to be comfortable.

What I find hilarious is how vehemently you are defending your decision to spend more money to get a smaller truck that does less. In my case a Frontier or Tacoma cost more and didn't do a single thing better than an F150 in a category that mattered to me.

D

Deleted member 9101

HA HA HA>...

TOO FUNNY. There is A ton of difference between the turning radius of the F150 and the frontier. You had to pay to get a stereo to "smoke" my factory system, you had to pay to get your "gear management system", The suspension on the frontier is much better than the F150 considering I have an F150 in my driveway right now.

As for the comment "I don't care about how my truck performs off road or on a tight trail...It will never do either" I think you are the one who should have bought a mini van. I don't care about towing...mine will only tow a small camper and do fine...plus it will put it up trails MUCH easier than your behemoth of a ******** extension. You need a tuner to create the power to tow ( another expense, who got the better deal now.)….please. I know that full size trucks have a place, again, there is an F150 in my driveway right now....however to say you have MUCH MORE TRUCK is a total farce!

After paying for my stereo, stuff in the bed, and tuner, my truck still cost less and can out tow, out haul, and out accelerate yours. I made more HP and TQ off of the show roof floor and make even more now. Regardless of how you twist things, I still paid less and my truck can do more.

Why is the fact that my truck will never go off road so offensive to you? It's 2wd, I have zero desire to beat on it in the dirt. I bought it specifically to tow a camper and boat while comfortably seating at least 3 adults and a child seat... all of which your truck is incapable of doing.

It's kind of comical that you are bragging about your suspension here, yet in another thread you are saying that you want to get air bags.... guess that camper is a little to much huh. (I don't have thst problem)

Funny thing though... I'm not the one who had to result to personal insults to defend my choice in trucks. It's sad that you made the choice to act like a petulant child for no reason that someone disagreed with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles