Is the Tacoma enough truck?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@DaveInDenver

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ersModified=true#listing=218839816_isFeatured

Funny, today, I was thinking about what a DC I4 4WD would feel like. 4.56 gear, with Marlin Tacobox.

I also dated this girl in college who drove a 97 4Runner, manual with 3RZ. Pretty sweet.

2017_toyota_tacoma-pic-7937866243287516607-1024x768.jpeg

That's the exact truck I should've bought fer sure. I'm not in the market now, though. I've done too much to my truck to stop and start over. Plus I would lose too much money, just not worth it. I can't exactly say I hate driving a V6 either and I have found several things I really do like about the 2008 trucks. Sort of the sweet spot of traditional technologies and initial generational issues sorted but before the onslaught of gizmos that started in 2009 and the EPA bandaids Toyota had to do to the 1GR in 2012.

Nah, once I get enough saved for a rear bumper and a Tacobox and go with 255/85R16 next time it needs tires I think it'll be squared away. Truthfully, if it had the bumper it would basically be fine other than tying off loose ends like cleaning up radios installations (gotta pull the headliner to punch holes and run coax), sticking another leaf in the rear pack, greasing the poly bushing front & rear and get the 'Nest mounted. Going through so many iterations with the 1991 I at least have a pretty clear vision of what this truck is supposed to be, so it's really just implementing my list as budget and schedule allows. I do need to start thinking about ball joints and a rebuild of the shocks soon, too.

jasmtis

Oh...I know all of their tricks...lol. I took the Ford financing, enjoyed the rebate, laughed at the interest rate (3.5%), and paid the truck off months later. I'll gladly pay 6 months of interest to get 9k knocked off the price before I even start haggling.

Yeah, I decided to go for the Tacoma instead for a variety of reasons but that's what I was thinking I'd do if I went for the ST. The whole thing just left a very bad taste in my mouth, I overthink these things but I can see how people get taken advantage of. I sat down with the salesman to talk numbers on a new ST that I'd driven and liked and a CPO RS I'd driven and fallen a bit in love in despite my better judgement. He started trying to sell me on their in-house financing, talking about discounts and all that. I said I was ready to pay cash if we could agree on a number, but I'd be willing to consider financing if he could break down the numbers for me. He left and came back with a piece of paper(making up numbers here, don't remember the specifics) that had $375 handwritten on it and nothing else. I was like no... I wanted to see how the numbers break down and you gave me a monthly payment and haven't even told me how many months its for. He told me how many months, i asked again to see what the price of the car was, how much the discounts were, how much I was considering financing and the details of the financing. He left again and came back with another piece of paper, this one had $325 scrawled on it and nothing else. Again, I was like okay first of all how long for, he told me(it was a longer period obviously), I did the mental math and it was just financing the same number over more months. Eventually I shook a barely acceptable breakdown of the numbers out of them, and a ballpark cash price but man...

I bet it would take some serious search time, but you'll find that statement here on ExPo several times by Clutch and myself about trucks. I held out as long as I could hoping Toyota would offer a version of my 1991 that just wasn't worn out. What I got for waiting was the 2nd gen Tacoma. I should have bought a low mileage 1st gen then and there but I didn't. I waited a few more years and lo and behold the 1st gen frames started rotting out so nice ones jumped in value and I ended up with a 2nd gen Tacoma anyway. Even that, back in 2015 if I was smarter I would have bought a brand new SR level 4 cylinder, 5 speed 2nd gen instead. Had I know Toyota was gonna punt stick shifts anyway. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

My 91 was all I could afford at the time on a college budget so no regrets there really. I'm just happy I have a capable truck with a manual that should last me a long time. Seems like the manual is available on less and less configurations, who knows when it'll vanish entirely.

It is all about perspective, and what we need out of vehicle. We don't have any kids...so a regular cab would work for me. But I like the extra cabs so I can toss gear bags back there. That and I like to go to the park by work, eat lunch, recline the seat and take a little nap. Getting ready to just do that. I no longer work construction...have an easy peazy job now, that gives me waaaay too much time to argue with strangers on the internet. ;):D

We really don't need any of it...we don't need trucks, we don't need 4WD...we especially don't need crew cab trucks, etc...hell, we grew up riding around in my dad's F250 regular cab with 4 of us.....we buy this stuff because we want to. You can spend as little or as much as you want to. We all love justifying our purchases to others....Hell, I know I do. ;):D

I go places with people often and make a terrible passenger, also a covered bed is still too damp for guitars. Haha I slowly construct my responses in minute chunks while waiting for software to compile.

Very true. I'd have to give up most of what I love doing but I could sell both my rigs, find an apartment walking distance from the office and have my life consist of working, going to the gym, going out, watching TV and sleeping like my friends who went to work on Wall Street after college. It sounds horrible. And hey, at least everyone on here uses their stuff for what it's made for on a regular basis. I know waaay to many people who daily drive half-tons because they tow their boat from storage to the marina in the spring and back in the fall or bro-dozers that have never and will never touch a dirt road or pull a trailer. We're splitting hairs at this point.

phsycle

Adventurer
.... I'm just happy I have a capable truck with a manual that should last me a long time. Seems like the manual is available on less and less configurations, who knows when it'll vanish entirely...

Yeah, I think in the truck realm, only the Tacoma, Frontier, and Ram 3/4 ton are only ones available with manual right now. I just got my Taco, 6MT. I'd forgotten how much fun manuals were.

phsycle

Adventurer
That's the exact truck I should've bought fer sure. I'm not in the market now, though. I've done too much to my truck to stop and start over. Plus I would lose too much money, just not worth it. I can't exactly say I hate driving a V6 either and I have found several things I really do like about the 2008 trucks. Sort of the sweet spot of traditional technologies and initial generational issues sorted but before the onslaught of gizmos that started in 2009 and the EPA bandaids Toyota had to do to the 1GR in 2012.

Nah, once I get enough saved for a rear bumper and a Tacobox and go with 255/85R16 next time it needs tires I think it'll be squared away. Truthfully, if it had the bumper it would basically be fine other than tying off loose ends like cleaning up radios installations (gotta pull the headliner to punch holes and run coax), sticking another leaf in the rear pack, greasing the poly bushing front & rear and get the 'Nest mounted. Going through so many iterations with the 1991 I at least have a pretty clear vision of what this truck is supposed to be, so it's really just implementing my list as budget and schedule allows. I do need to start thinking about ball joints and a rebuild of the shocks soon, too.

Sounds like a solid set up. Wish I had that set up when running through BBP. Tacobox would've been awesome.

The beard is still weird-looking to me.

2017_toyota_tacoma-pic-7937866243287516607-1024x768-jpeg.473891
Keanu-Reeves.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I go places with people often and make a terrible passenger, also a covered bed is still too damp for guitars. Haha I slowly construct my responses in minute chunks while waiting for software to compile.

Very true. I'd have to give up most of what I love doing but I could sell both my rigs, find an apartment walking distance from the office and have my life consist of working, going to the gym, going out, watching TV and sleeping like my friends who went to work on Wall Street after college. It sounds horrible. And hey, at least everyone on here uses their stuff for what it's made for on a regular basis. I know waaay to many people who daily drive half-tons because they tow their boat from storage to the marina in the spring and back in the fall or bro-dozers that have never and will never touch a dirt road or pull a trailer. We're splitting hairs at this point.

I work with the public now, so 99% of my trips are solo, I make a horrible passenger too :) ...need a little break from the chaos from time to time. Have a great job, but need my down alone time. My day is basically 30 minute chunks...do "actual work" for about 30 minutes, then have a 30 minute break...repeat.

Actually that is my goal when I retire. Only need a bicycle to get around and only use a vehicle for trips. Which I have that now where we live, when at home I ride my bicycle everywhere, since everything is within 1.5 miles of what we need, however I make more money working in the city than in the little town where we are...so I commute, which isn't too bad, 35 minutes door to door. We both didn't want to live in the city, plus she is a professor at the college there...that we only live 3/4's of mile from. So it was best to live there...we also bought with the thought of this being our retirement house.

Love the spot we are in...touch over 30 minutes I am in the city, 20-30 minutes the other... out in the desert...30 the other other up in the mountains. Lots of lakes and rivers in between. Heck, I can walk to the river from work and go fly fishing. 10 minute drive from work, I am at the mountain bike trails...which has moto trails there too. Depeneding on my mood...I'll grab either the bicycle or moto to toss in the truck, take off early and hit the trails after work.

I used the crap out of my truck...sadly most of the miles are commuting, to the sum of 15K/year...the other 10K I rack per year is exploring/yanking the bike around.

DaveInDenver

Sounds like a solid set up. Wish I had that set up when running through BBP. Tacobox would've been awesome.

DSC02696_mid.jpg

It gets the job done for me. The crawler gears are nice with a stick shift. Stock gearing is fine 85% of the time but having something lower would be nice for technical stuff just to give you some margin and control. I'd be happy having a 4.0 or 4.7 gear option for the stock case but shoving a 2.28 case in between with a Marlin adapter works, too. I'd really like to do a FJC manual t-case but honestly the electric shift is fine and I'd rather not hack my ADD and 4WD ECU so having one stick for the Marlin box will give me a little mall cred anyway.

phsycle

Adventurer
View attachment 473901

It gets the job done for me. The crawler gears are nice with a stick shift. Stock gearing is fine 85% of the time but having something lower would be nice for technical stuff just to give you some margin and control. I'd be happy having a 4.0 or 4.7 gear option for the stock case but shoving a 2.28 case in between with a Marlin adapter works, too. I'd really like to do a FJC manual t-case but honestly the electric shift is fine and I'd rather not hack my ADD and 4WD ECU so having one stick for the Marlin box will give me a little mall cred anyway.

Yeah, I’m starting to look for some skids and sliders. I will keep it at stock height but add 32” tires. Eventually, go lift/33’s and hopefully by then, I could justify a Tacobox.

E-transfer lever worked just fine in my old 4Runner so I’m not worried about that. I like the extra space/clearance for the Marlin lever anyway.

dman93

Adventurer
I was talking to some buddies the other day about trying to get down to a single motorcycle. I have a street bike and a large displacement dual sport single, and I’m trying to collapse them into one ... something desert road capable, but more comfortable on the long highway grinds to the desert, than my thumper. My friend pointed out that maybe I don’t need a new bike, I just need to move.

Point is there are a lot of variables. Personally, I find my Tacoma too big for many trails and even city parking. But sometimes too small to haul all our crap for mountain bike camping trips. But usually I’m happy if I bring less. I just removed and sold my camper shell and I’m really enjoying the weight off my back. I just need to replace our one, bulky camp luxury (trifold foam mattress, need to find an inflatable that my wife likes) and I think for non-bike trips we will be able to fit everything behind the seats and under a tonneau, and just put the bikes on our hitch rack when we bring them.

By the way, a friend recently bought a new 4wd F150 SuperCab. He went for the V8, not EcoBoost. And when I helped him install air bags recently, it took up MUCH more room in my driveway than my 3rd gen DCSB Taco.

phsycle

Adventurer
I work with the public now, so 99% of my trips are solo, I make a horrible passenger too :) ...need a little break from the chaos from time to time. Have a great job, but need my down alone time. My day is basically 30 minute chunks...do "actual work" for about 30 minutes, then have a 30 minute break...repeat.

Actually that is my goal when I retire. Only need a bicycle to get around and only use a vehicle for trips. Which I have that now where we live, when at home I ride my bicycle everywhere, since everything is within 1.5 miles of what we need, however I make more money working in the city than in the little town where we are...so I commute, which isn't too bad, 35 minutes door to door. We both didn't want to live in the city, plus she is a professor at the college there...that we only live 3/4's of mile from. So it was best to live there...we also bought with the thought of this being our retirement house.

Love the spot we are in...touch over 30 minutes I am in the city, 20-30 minutes the other... out in the desert...30 the other other up in the mountains. Lots of lakes and rivers in between. Heck, I can walk to the river from work and go fly fishing. 10 minute drive from work, I am at the mountain bike trails...which has moto trails there too. Depeneding on my mood...I'll grab either the bicycle or moto to toss in the truck, take off early and hit the trails after work.

I used the crap out of my truck...sadly most of the miles are commuting, to the sum of 15K/year...the other 10K I rack per year is exploring/yanking the bike around.

I used to hate commuting miles in the truck. I’ve thought it was a waste of gas, tires, etc. But I love driving the truck. The only thing I’d ride instead is my motorbike or bicycle.

I’m also fortunate to live fairly close to a city but have access to trails and backcountry within a fairly short distance. Makes life tolerable. Although what DaveInDenver has in his back yard. Hm, I got pretty jealous.

jasmtis

I’ve thought it was a waste of gas, tires, etc. But I love driving the truck. The only thing I’d ride instead is my motorbike or bicycle.

I was thinking about buying a commuter to slow down wear on my truck.. I bought my rover instead, it hasn't slowed the odometer down very much but now that it's taking part of the trail duty and any hard wheeling it's virtually stopped the wear. Highway miles seem to be pretty invisible. And fuel/tire savings for a commuter barely offset insurance anyway.

Clutch

<---Pass
I used to hate commuting miles in the truck. I’ve thought it was a waste of gas, tires, etc. But I love driving the truck. The only thing I’d ride instead is my motorbike or bicycle.

I’m also fortunate to live fairly close to a city but have access to trails and backcountry within a fairly short distance. Makes life tolerable. Although what DaveInDenver has in his back yard. Hm, I got pretty jealous.

Love driving my truck...what I hate is putting so many commuter miles on it, 'cause they don't make them like that anymore. ;) Sure I could swap vehicles with her, but I know how she drives. Even if her round trip commute is 1.5 miles....

Pretty dang content here. Everything I want is right out the front door.

Leaving here shorty to be paddling on this lake in couple hours. Awfully nice not having to drive 14-15 hours to get to something like this when I lived in AZ. Now it is relatively short drive.

14650107_10154667345504630_7346418174751450119_n.jpg

I just wanted something that was as much like my 1991 4Runner as possible but without 250,000 miles on the clock.

I bet it would take some serious search time, but you'll find that statement here on ExPo several times by Clutch and myself about trucks. I held out as long as I could hoping Toyota would offer a version of my 1991 that just wasn't worn out. .

That is the thing, Toyota got too far away from its' roots...why so many are cross shopping now. For the price you can get more truck elsewhere pure and simple. Whether you need more truck is up to the buyer. But for the price why go with less of truck? yeah yeah we argue about size and trail worthiness..and all that, but how much time does your truck spend on the trail, vs. it does on pavement? I know mine is about 10%. Heck, I just gave in and put street tires on it. Gained 2 mpg in the process too...and man, does it ride nicer now. Wonder how much more I can gain by pulling the ARB bumper and Widernest off...

Like Dave said...waiting for Toyota to give us back a basic little truck for not too much coin disappeared...and while we were waiting the other manufactures caught up and surpassed them. They keep on selling them mostly based on internet lure. Even in this thread an others like it...majority of "new" Toyota buyers purchase them based on their reliability reputation, and not really on their specs. They'll put up with the flaws and pay through the nose because of the legend. While long time curmudgeon Toyota fans like myself are loosing faith in the brand. Lets face it, NA Toyota is a car company that sells trucks...and only 2 at that. While Ford is a truck company that sells cars, err well used too...

Whhaaaat?? EP has been flipped upside down. Here, I buy a manual, devoid of most all techy stuff. And you're warming up to autos. With all sort of high tech gizmo doo-dads! Bizaro world...

so yeah @phsycle, might as well join 'em instead of fighting 'em. :D After years of resistance, think I am over it. Doing a commute now...getting a little tired of the clutch in traffic. Be nice to have the option to be lazy. They are getting ready to widen a portion of the interstate again...going to be a traffic chitshow for the next couple years. And by the time they are done it will already be out dated. :p

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

but how much time does your truck spend on the trail, vs. it does on pavement? I know mine is about 10%. Heck, I just gave in and put street tires on it. Gained 2 mpg in the process too...and man, does it ride nicer now.
Advantage: city. Mine sees maybe 20% commuting and utility use now since I walk and can use my bike for cargo short of building materials. It's mostly used for going fun places and doing things. It sees plenty of pavement getting there but that's only because the reality of most roads, even secondary and back roads, are paved. I'm seriously considering going to a *more* aggressive tire next time not so much that I'm not happy with KO2 but that I want 255/85R16 so KM2, Coopers or something else is up next.

phsycle

Adventurer
I was thinking about buying a commuter to slow down wear on my truck.. I bought my rover instead, it hasn't slowed the odometer down very much but now that it's taking part of the trail duty and any hard wheeling it's virtually stopped the wear. Highway miles seem to be pretty invisible. And fuel/tire savings for a commuter barely offset insurance anyway.

Yup. Maintenance on two vehicles, insurance, registration, garage space, etc. I’ll just drive one do-it-all truck, that’s plenty capable and dependable. When it wears out, we’ll be in an all self-driving car world anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles