Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Hopefully p0703 is resolved. Will find out after a drive cycle. Motorcraft repair kit as this is a known issue I guess. $22 part. Bench bleeding the switch was the hardest part.

ad6d078d6089261a092cd24d43f45319.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
CEL for the bake switch has stayed off.

Took the truck up to deception pass again, nice spot.
45035609531_74a2eeff55_b.jpg

Climbed some routes on Mt Erie, new ones we have never done. Finally had to use my bail out carabiner, climbed up a bolted route and found no anchors! I didn't have enough rope to go any higher, possibly could have topped out, but no idea if there was a trail down. Was able to down climb to a bolt (I was up above it by a couple cams) and bail off the route.

The rock that claimed my biner
30099520727_0804580c5f_b.jpg

And next little project, swap the maxxfan out. This one had one too many bumpy roads it seems. It had broken a little tab that kept the top from over traveling, but it seems the hinge blew out too. Luckily Maxxfans warranty is awesome! They asked my serial number and shipped me a new unit.

Four screws and done, need to hook up the electrical still.
45049351052_a98f8b0e10_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Stunning hike this weekend! Followed the ridge line all the way around the lake. Gorgeous and snow is fun.

31290292908_dd7919de47_b.jpg

45115414322_07e52124e8_b.jpg

30244785167_7780962dc6_b.jpg

Spent the night tucked away outside Mazama.
45183424141_40938a0f75_b.jpg

And a sneak preview of the new things coming!
45071676462_2215ea1a4d.jpg

HowardH

Adventurer
Nice pics. Great to see you getting out and using your rig. Looks like you are going super singles. Anxious to get your feedback. Make sure you look me up when you get over this way.

java

Expedition Leader
Nice pics. Great to see you getting out and using your rig. Looks like you are going super singles. Anxious to get your feedback. Make sure you look me up when you get over this way.
Probably going to run duals still... The wheels can be used single (rated for the weight anyway), but would need a spacer or run weird track width.

Definately would be nice to check your rig out too!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
What Tires and wheels are those? What would be the advantage of changing wheels but staying with duals?

They are Hutchinson beadlocks, and Toyo M608z's in a 285/70r19.5

I'm torn on the duals/single. Dual gives you more rubber on the ground in the rear, and gives a margin of safety with blowouts. I can run these as single (rims are rated for the weight), I can just run the outer, which gives an odd track width front to rear. Or I can get a custom spacer made and flip the wheels, this will pull the outer rear ~3" inside the body and match the front width very closely.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
nice pics!

are those the wheels on ebay right now @ $1200 each? ...still looking and thinking about mine.... but I have balance tire beads on the way to see if that solves the problem with these duallies or not. if not.... may go with those ebay wheels for the rear then use the stryker wheels on the front and call it a day (hopefully...)

edit for the kodiak/topkick guys - easternsurplus.net has 20x10 military wheels with the correct backspace/offset for our trucks - $195/ea + shipping (appx $90/wheel to a commercial address). I just ordered 5 ... they have about 170 left.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
nice pics!

are those the wheels on ebay right now @ $1200 each? ...still looking and thinking about mine.... but I have balance tire beads on the way to see if that solves the problem with these duallies or not. if not.... may go with those ebay wheels for the rear then use the stryker wheels on the front and call it a day (hopefully...)

Interested how you like the beads!! My current ones need something, they are wearing odd.

And no.... These are not the ones for $1200 each! :D I'll PM you.

Fatboyz

Observer
Do you have a part number or description of those wheels? With over 6000 lb single rating for those 285"s it might be what I'm looking for. At just over 35" tall ht sounds perfect too.

java

Expedition Leader
Do you have a part number or description of those wheels? With over 6000 lb single rating for those 285"s it might be what I'm looking for. At just over 35" tall ht sounds perfect too.

Sent you a PM, I can email you specs on the wheels. And the seller has more sets on Ebay....

My paint skill have been bettter, but I think this is going to happen, loose the blue.

44315219635_d03ac786d2_b.jpg

OK guys, tire storage.....

I need to measure more carefully, but it does not look good for mounting under the truck in the stock location.

So mount it on the back door. With the latch the way it is, it needs to be ~5' or a bit more off the ground. Thats a long was for a heavy tire!

So I am thinking a flip down, like the jeep guys do. Deal with getting it on studs and bolted down at waist height then flip up and have a big pin/latch holding it.

Inspiration ish

image_1653.gif

Red is behind the tire, 1x3 or 4 to spread load over the door (the panels are 12" wide horizontal on the door). Yellow would be hinges (bushings) and the grey would be outside the tire.

30287301507_d2d17ca99b_b.jpg

Anyone have better ideas? Another option is the red frame and a hand crank winch to lift the tire up to the mounting area.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
What about mounting it down on the bumper with a pivot to get it clear of the doors. (Think vertical pivot to the outside not a swing away) The pivot system could be like the one they use on the LMTV’s and a good cradle that uses the bumper for the support.

Checkout 2:00 minute to 2:40 on this video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles