Looking for a particular hat

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yup, they are still available to get them through a few places here in the States, such as David Morgan. Yet you can't get original military puggarees through them, they only have the civilian one. For military ones you either need to go through a surplus dealer or private collector. I got mine from a private collector; it's an unissued one dated 1965 and made in the original factory. It has a 7 bander puggaree. It did come with the military insignia, but out of respect I removed them.
Your hat and the Akubra brand are part of Australian folklore, now all you need is a Drizabone Coat and your set. they are the original Drovers Coat.

Correus

Adventurer
Your hat and the Akubra brand are part of Australian folklore, now all you need is a Drizabone Coat and your set. they are the original Drovers Coat.

Funny you should say that....there's one hanging in the hall closet. I do prefer a Coburn Great coat though....

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Funny you should say that....there's one hanging in the hall closet. I do prefer a Coburn Great coat though....
Yeah the Drizabone is best worn when it's raining in warmer weather, Or buy a size larger so you can wear a jacket underneath it, I bought mine with me from back home thinking it would be ok and I nearly froze, lol. needless to say lesson learned and I bought the LE/Military CG Snow Mantra, a couple of years back after many bad coat investments, It hurts to think of all those bad investments when that money could of gone on toys for my Truck, lol.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Ok; so I ordered three Stormy Kromer caps; one Original for me in Adirondack Plaid (pictured below), one Black Millie Kromer for my wife (has a hole in the back for a pony tail - I hope she likes it), and one Original for my buddy's as a birthday present (in old-man Red/Black Plaid). If they had an "old man" blue/black plaid I would have got that for me instead of the Adirondack Plaid.

I hope to lead a group to run the Dempster Highway next August, and I wanted something warm on my head, but not a beanie (I wear glasses and like to have a brim out front), and not my usual go-to of wearing a baseball cap with ear muffs (180 brand). I hope they're as nice as they seem to be on-line.

1539139380461.png

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
That's a nice Hat, you can't beat a good Hat, well done.

Thanks. I'll post a review once my wife and I get to try'm on. Three hats (plus a gift box for my buddy) came to like $140, so I hope they're worth the investment.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks. I'll post a review once my wife and I get to try'm on. Three hats (plus a gift box for my buddy) came to like $140, so I hope they're worth the investment.
A good Hat is like a Classy pair of Shoes, They are a personal thing and they make ya feel good (y):cool:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Hats arrived - they seem nice. I mailed my buddy his, but I had to exchange mine for a slightly larger size. My Army caps were size 7.5, and when I did the head measuring according to the site's instructions I came out with a 7.5 (actually 7.41, and they tell you to round-up to the next 1/8th size which I figured was 7.5). But it was a little snug on my head. So I returned it, and ordered a 7 5/8th cap. They shipped fast, so I should have it before the next weekend.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Hats arrived - they seem nice. I mailed my buddy his, but I had to exchange mine for a slightly larger size. My Army caps were size 7.5, and when I did the head measuring according to the site's instructions I came out with a 7.5 (actually 7.41, and they tell you to round-up to the next 1/8th size which I figured was 7.5). But it was a little snug on my head. So I returned it, and ordered a 7 5/8th cap. They shipped fast, so I should have it before the next weekend.
Well done, just in time for winter too, Is it as good as your ol faithful ?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Well done, just in time for winter too, Is it as good as your ol faithful ?

I usually wear a baseball cap, which is just one layer of cotton. So this SK cap is much more insulated, and should be much warmer. I don't think the pull-down ear covers cover the whole ear as well as the 180 ear muffs though. We'll see.

Last edited:

J!m

These look interesting but not my “style”.

I have a pile of ball caps- get some older wool ball caps in your size- a much better experience. Warmer than cotton too.

I ended up with Ann army issue “ boonie “ cap. I always prefer a fitted cap to a “one size fits only a mannequin ” adjustable one.

Anyway, are there winter versions of the boonie? I like the face, ear and neck coverage.

rnArmy

Adventurer
My Stormy Kromer hat arrived today in 7 5/8. Fits nice, and should definitely keep my head warm. It has a cotton lining and wool outside. I like the look and feel of the cap - it feels well made. It also covers more of my head than a regular baseball cap does. I know the look might not be for everyone (my wife's still making fun of me), but I like it, and my buddy likes his. I'm looking forward to wearing it when it gets colder. I still might end up wearing ear muffs with it; we'll see.

Last edited:

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I clicked because I was shopping for hats the other day. I went into an antique shop near me and there was a complete early 1900's hunting outfit in red plaid with coat, bib and hat. I got to searching for a modern version of the hat, and found out about the Stormy Kromer brand. Funny how these things happen. I like the gray one. Might have to pull the trigger on one similar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles