Mitsubishi and Chill - Winter in a Gen 3 Montero

JacobS

Hello all! My name is Jacob and I'm a filmmaker from the east coast, currently residing in Oregon. After browsing the forums and daydreaming for a year and a half, I'm finally the owner of a Montero! (Gen 3)

40380151_10215831857222781_1586149865002369024_n.jpg
127k miles on the clock and I hope to get another 127k out of it.

My goals are simple, obtain a capable 4x4, transform it into the best winter roadtrip-mobile I can with the budget I have, visit the coldest places in North America this winter, and film every step of the journey.

Currently on the agenda this week:

33's
Sleeping platform/drawers
Get together aproper emergency kit/tool kit

Coming months:

Dual battery
ARB front bumper (or have one fabricated)
fabricated rear bumper
backup camera/dash cams (got hit in a parking lot and if it wasn't for a witness I'd have lost out on a check from the other driver's insurance company).
jerry can mount somewhere on the rear
Android head unit

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Gen 3's are the Jesus of snow wheeling. Looking forward to seeing some winter action!

Reactions: plh

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Used my Gen 3 as a production vehicle when I was a DP and before it transformed into an overlander. Welcome to the illness.

plh

Explorer
to keep your goal of another 127K, know your service history. Timing belt / water pump PM.

HMSEndeavour

Nice vehicle! I like the color, gives it a UN-type vibe. If you are going to spend most of your time in very snowy areas, seriously consider getting narrower tires, Maybe 235 or 245 depending on your wheel size. I also wouldn't recommend 33's without a lift (especially with a new rear and front bumper). 31s and 32s are ideal for most scenarios on the gen 3. A roof rack is always a great addition if you want to build a sleeping platform. You can put a spare wheel, max tracks (or equivalent) and shovel on it. You dont want soggy or muddy tools in your sleeping compartment.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Nice vehicle! I like the color, gives it a UN-type vibe. If you are going to spend most of your time in very snowy areas, seriously consider getting narrower tires, Maybe 235 or 245 depending on your wheel size. I also wouldn't recommend 33's without a lift (especially with a new rear and front bumper). 31s and 32s are ideal for most scenarios on the gen 3. A roof rack is always a great addition if you want to build a sleeping platform. You can put a spare wheel, max tracks (or equivalent) and shovel on it. You dont want soggy or muddy tools in your sleeping compartment.

Are you aware that the spare tire already mounts to the OUTSIDE of the rear door, why the heck would someone want to mount more weight above the center of gravity on the roof when there is already a factory mounting location?? And 33's fit all day without a lift. Beginning to wonder where all of your "shoot from the hip but have no idea what I am talking about" advice is coming from.

plh

Explorer
235's are not great on a Gen 3. Squirley. I've run them for 35K miles. Was so happy to move back to a wider tire.

JacobS

Hello everyone! Just realized my notification settings were off and didn't see I had comments.

Update:

Put 33's on. With a little cutting they don't rub.

In the shop today to have the timing belt/water pump, some misc gaskets and hoses, and some DEQ compliment stuff fixed. I think it was the plenum gasket (lower?) and the hose connecting there that may be sucking in a little air and throwing a code. I've been getting amazing MPG (before the 33's).

Trying to knock out plans for the sleeping platform/storage and dual battery setup today.

to keep your goal of another 127K, know your service history. Timing belt / water pump PM.
Getting that done as we speak! I've been driving it as little as possible until I get that replaced
because there was no paperwork or history of the timing belt being changed.

I really wanted some skinny and tall 33's (255/85 I think?), but the only options for winter tires or AT's seemed hardly taller than stock, so I went with the 285/75s to get an extra half inch of clearance over skinny 32's. If I could get OME's in the near future I may have got with the skinny tires but I don't think I can afford a lift this season and I wanted a little more clearance.

As for the roof rack, it is definitely a possibility down the road. I would store most of my tools in the empty space in the back where third row seats would fold into.

Gen 3's are the Jesus of snow wheeling. Looking forward to seeing some winter action!
I'll give it my best shot!

Used my Gen 3 as a production vehicle when I was a DP and before it transformed into an overlander. Welcome to the illness.

Awesome! The filmmaking side will definitely play into the build... Drawing up designs for storage and my gear just takes up so much room lol.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Great looking rig!
I've found that with a set of four chains these rigs are amazing in the snow.

Cheers

JacobS

I love how well the 33's fill it up... But today I discovered there are two studdable 255/85 A/T tires from Cooper (at the time I bought the KO2's I only saw mud tires in that size). I may switch. I originally wanted a skinnier tire but didn't want to give up the height of the 33's, these would probably even be another quarter of an inch taller than the KO2's, but should still clear fine.

In other news. Got it back from the shop. Emission issues for DEQ fixed. New timing belt/water pump, tune up, some minor things.

I'll be heading to the east coast for a wedding and Thanksgiving next week and I hope to be done with planning for the storage/sleeping area when I get back.

Also looking for a second battery to charge my electronics. the one I have now looks like it will fit by the passenger side. I'm thinking of fitting it there, but keeping it as the starter and then getting a big deep cycle AGM marine battery for my electronics to put in the standard spot.

Attachments

• 46112778_207788493450755_8635235793914298368_n.jpg
    46112778_207788493450755_8635235793914298368_n.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 46091589_320668228520358_8000147342156103680_n.jpg
    46091589_320668228520358_8000147342156103680_n.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 46104248_1281915918617683_9177552178984779776_n.jpg
    46104248_1281915918617683_9177552178984779776_n.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Forum statistics