Mog 404 battery tray fitting problem

Slimjim176

Hi, have recently purchased a NOS battery tray for a (Belgian) 404, from Expedition Imports - shipped over to the UK a couple of weeks ago.
The tray is about 10mm to wide to fit between the rails - see photos.

Has anyone seen this problem before, and are there different versions of box or tray on the 404?

Exp Imp aren't aware of different versions, so can't hello so far.

I can probably cut away a 10mm strip from the RH rails (or 5mm each side), but would prefer not to if possible as this is a friend's truck.

The box is straight - i.e. the lower parts of the sides are not bent in, so can't be straightened or bent outwards without damaging the box and affecting the lid seal.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20181025_182439.jpg
    20181025_182439.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20181025_182354.jpg
    20181025_182354.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20181025_182520.jpg
    20181025_182520.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

762X39

Explorer
Good morning:
Can you measure the width of your battery tray, , the inside width of your battery box and the width of the L that should slide into the rails? I will check it against my Swiss 404 to see if the tray is the problem or the battery box. This won't fix the problem of course but at least you will have something to compare it to.

Regards

pairospam

Observer
Hi, Slimjim176:

Just cut it, preferably the 10 mm out of both the cross profiles, and not in the middle of the profile, of course, and weld it back together. That's the beauty of steel.

Cheers.

Pairoa

Slimjim176

Hell
Good morning:
Can you measure the width of your battery tray, , the inside width of your battery box and the width of the L that should slide into the rails? I will check it against my Swiss 404 to see if the tray is the problem or the battery box. This won't fix the problem of course but at least you will have something to compare it to.

Regards

Hello 762X39, apologies for not replying sooner, I've had problems logging into the forum. I'll check the measurements the next time I'm at the truck - probably Tuesday this week.

Thanks

Slimjim176

Hi, Slimjim176:

Just cut it, preferably the 10 mm out of both the cross profiles, and not in the middle of the profile, of course, and weld it back together. That's the beauty of steel.

Cheers.

Pairoa

Hi Pairoa, thanks. Yes we probably will end up cutting the metal to make it fit, although I had thought about cutting back the rails of the box.

Coachgeo

Explorer
You will find more Mog folk at benzworld.org/forums/unimog than here. Most here are members there too... but you will find even more there cause that discussion board includes those whose mog interest does not include camping. Anyway you will get lot more answers to your questions on this non camping/expedition Mog question

krick3tt

Adventurer
Slimjim,
The battery tray was not wood but a composite plastic of some type sort of like bak-o-lite. It did not conduct electricity or degrade from spilled acid. I switched to AGM batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles