Tire Air Compressor?????

RoyJ

Adventurer
I have only seen 2 people here on the forum that own the puma's, My ARB Twin will blow up the same 35" Tyre in 1 minute 14 seconds, that's almost twice as fast.

The Puma like my Generic Twin is a Throw away Item,

Well, make that 3 if you count me! One thing for sure - it's NOT a throw-away like the Chinese twins or even big singles (MV90).

I have the Puma, a set of Viair 480s, a Viair 300P, Viair 440P, dinky Viair 85P, and a Chinese twin.

The Chinese twin lasted 2 trips with my old 100 Series, 33s from 15 to 30 psi. The Viair 440P is the fastest, but I'm a little concerned filling my camper tires from 20 to 80 psi due to the 33% duty cycle. The 300P is limited to my Exporer on street tires (forestry road only). The 480s I plan on hard mounting to the camper (old Dodge V10).

So what about the Puma? It isn't the fastest, but man does it keep on pumping, all day long, without breaking a sweat. For the price I paid ($180 Cdn) it's an absolute steal. Why didn't I get an ARB twin? Too much money - $700+ in Canada. For that much money, I'd go for broke and get an Oasis, which I will if I had the rig to justify it.

However, contrary to what's said earlier, it's NOT an Extremeaire clone. The Magnum has much more power, even though it looks similar. 2.6 CFM @ 90psi vs 1.1 for the Puma.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yep the Puma is a nice pump for sure,

I had 2 choice's either buy another piece of junk or buy the ARB's, I was even going to mount a 240v 8cfm compressor in there and then I got to thinking about power draw etc so that was the end of that Idea and then I got to thinking about why cut corners we fit the best fridges and the best shocks and suspension and wheels and tyres on these things So why cut corners on the compressor, What use are the best tyres when they are flat 500 miles from no where,

These compressors are more important than we give them credit for, People will spend big bucks on a warn winch when a cheaper brand will work just as well and many have proven to do so yet that warn might not get used for months or even years, yet a compressor is often used monthly or weekly on a regular basis yet it is ok to waste money on a warn that never gets used instead of a good compressor, A vehicle won't go anywhere without Tyres and I think it is crazy to cut corners on such an important piece of kit, this is easily proven just by going back to using one of those black plastic compressors that we use to plug in to the cigar lighter socket. No thanks, Not for Me, My ARB will Air up my Street tyres in under 30 seconds and it will do 37's in 75 seconds to my street pressure or less,

Each of my ARB's has it's own set of Gauges and I have 2 extra lengths of ARB hose kits making 4 in total, so if I need to run the hose over any distance I can reach out to about 80ft+,

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I am running a Viair 450p . great little compressor for the money. i use it almost every weekend and its still humming along great.

MOguy

Explorer
Yep the Puma is a nice pump for sure,

I had 2 choice's either buy another piece of junk or buy the ARB's, I was even going to mount a 240v 8cfm compressor in there and then I got to thinking about power draw etc so that was the end of that Idea and then I got to thinking about why cut corners we fit the best fridges and the best shocks and suspension and wheels and tyres on these things So why cut corners on the compressor, What use are the best tyres when they are flat 500 miles from no where,

These compressors are more important than we give them credit for, People will spend big bucks on a warn winch when a cheaper brand will work just as well and many have proven to do so yet that warn might not get used for months or even years, yet a compressor is often used monthly or weekly on a regular basis yet it is ok to waste money on a warn that never gets used instead of a good compressor, A vehicle won't go anywhere without Tyres and I think it is crazy to cut corners on such an important piece of kit, this is easily proven just by going back to using one of those black plastic compressors that we use to plug in to the cigar lighter socket. No thanks, Not for Me, My ARB will Air up my Street tyres in under 30 seconds and it will do 37's in 75 seconds to my street pressure or less,

Each of my ARB's has it's own set of Gauges and I have 2 extra lengths of ARB hose kits making 4 in total, so if I need to run the hose over any distance I can reach out to about 80ft+,

If your tire just ends up flat it probably has a hole and a compressor can't fix that. If your compressor fails the worst case is you will have to drive on a lower pressure tire. If you rip a tire, loose a bead or some how destroy a tire you should have a spare. I know some rely on plugging a tire and if that were the case then maybe more thought should be but into a compressor or maybe carry and extra one. If a winch fails you are still stuck. If your fridge fails your food rots.

I am not saying not to buy a good compressor I am just questioning the importance of compared to a winch or a fridge.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
If your tire just ends up flat it probably has a hole and a compressor can't fix that. If your compressor fails the worst case is you will have to drive on a lower pressure tire. If you rip a tire, loose a bead or some how destroy a tire you should have a spare. I know some rely on plugging a tire and if that were the case then maybe more thought should be but into a compressor or maybe carry and extra one. If a winch fails you are still stuck. If your fridge fails you food rots.

I am not saying not to buy a good compressor I am just questioning the importance of compared to a winch or a fridge.

Well what your saying I think is the norm, I pieced together a heck of a Kit One with the ARB Portable Single and one with the ARB Portable Twin, Both with a full set of Gauge's

Also carry a 2 hand winches and a second fridge, and I also carry 2 of everything and the ARB Repair Kit along with a box od 50 spare plugs,

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Well what your saying I think is the norm, I pieced together a heck of a Kit One with the ARB Portable Single and one with the ARB Portable Twin, Both with a full set of Gauge's

Also carry a 2 hand winches and a second fridge, and I also carry 2 of everything and the ARB Repair Kit along with a box od 50 spare plugs,
You fit all that in a CJ5?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
You fit all that in a CJ5?
yeah Crazy "A",

Just those bits take up half the floor space or a good 2/3's, I need a 4 door Rubicon, I also have a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport/Challenger, which looks a bit like a late 90s/early 2000's Navigator that's been Shrunk and the Grill looks upside down, compared to the Nav's .Lol.

PHeller

Adventurer
I've had great luck with a 110v unit and inverter. The 110v unit runs at much lower rpms so in my mind will last longer (forever with my infrequent use to air up 35" tires). Got it from Harbor Freight but it has held up in the last 2 jeeps very well - 15 years or so.

I'm curious, how big of an inverter is needed for a 110v hotdog air compressor? I've got an old harbor freight compressor that needs some new capacitors and I just can't get rid of the thing. I hate to junk it when I could get new caps for $30. If an inverter to run it costs $100...I'd rather spend that on a Puma.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I'm curious, how big of an inverter is needed for a 110v hotdog air compressor? I've got an old harbor freight compressor that needs some new capacitors and I just can't get rid of the thing. I hate to junk it when I could get new caps for $30. If an inverter to run it costs $100...I'd rather spend that on a Puma.

You would need a minimum of 1000w con / 2000w+ surge to power a compressor like that, a 1HP is about 750w.

PHeller

Adventurer
I think the thing I struggle with on the inverter topic is that unless your a full-timer on the road, many people seem to struggle with finding a use for them. You can't power an electric chainsaw. A smaller inverter will run a computer. I guess you could run a hotplate or maybe a small microwave? A smaller one will charge batteries for electric tools.

I can't think of many instances where I'd need one.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I think the thing I struggle with on the inverter topic is that unless your a full-timer on the road, many people seem to struggle with finding a use for them. You can't power an electric chainsaw. A smaller inverter will run a computer. I guess you could run a hotplate or maybe a small microwave? A smaller one will charge batteries for electric tools.

I can't think of many instances where I'd need one.

I have a 300w/310 surge and a 600w/1500 surge and 1000w/2000 surge,, I use the 300w for most things because it will power everything from phones to my fridge, I want to get a bigger one at about 2000w just so I can run a microwave, I bought a microwave that is meant to be 1000w @ 700w output turns out that when I put a meter on it it draws about 1240+/- constantly, this is a prime example of how we build up quite a collection of inverters. and every time we buy one we find a better one on offer else where.

Last edited:

markneustedt

Well, make that 3 if you count me! One thing for sure - it's NOT a throw-away like the Chinese twins or even big singles (MV90).

I have the Puma, a set of Viair 480s, a Viair 300P, Viair 440P, dinky Viair 85P, and a Chinese twin.

The Chinese twin lasted 2 trips with my old 100 Series, 33s from 15 to 30 psi. The Viair 440P is the fastest, but I'm a little concerned filling my camper tires from 20 to 80 psi due to the 33% duty cycle. The 300P is limited to my Exporer on street tires (forestry road only). The 480s I plan on hard mounting to the camper (old Dodge V10).

So what about the Puma? It isn't the fastest, but man does it keep on pumping, all day long, without breaking a sweat. For the price I paid ($180 Cdn) it's an absolute steal. Why didn't I get an ARB twin? Too much money - $700+ in Canada. For that much money, I'd go for broke and get an Oasis, which I will if I had the rig to justify it.

However, contrary to what's said earlier, it's NOT an Extremeaire clone. The Magnum has much more power, even though it looks similar. 2.6 CFM @ 90psi vs 1.1 for the Puma.

Read more about portable air compressor for off road here https://bestjeepguide.com/portable-air-compressor-for-off-road/
What size air compressor do I need to inflate Jeep Wrangler tires? If it's a choice between these two models Viair 400P-RV or Smittybilt 2781.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
What size air compressor do I need to inflate Jeep Wrangler tires? If it's a choice between these two models Viair 400P-RV or Smittybilt 2781.
How fast do you want them inflated? How big are the tires? How low do you run them? What do you want them filled to?

Given the choices you present, my answer it... yes.

AMTRV

Since we’re on the topic.....what’s a good compact 110volt compressor with tank? I’m thinking a 3gal or so tank? I could also run my 1/2” impact ...maybe? I have a 21 F150 with the 7200 watt Propower generator built in. I’ve been using a Vair 450p for several years, and it’s fine, but since I now have the power built into the truck I thought I’d upgrade. The Vair takes a while to air up a 315/70/17 from 15-40lbs.
Any suggestion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles