Newer Palomino backpack campers

Rickcj7

Are the newer backpack campers better quality than the older ones? Not going off road with, just wondering if would last?

brokenhorn

Are the newer backpack campers better quality than the older ones? Not going off road with, just wondering if would last?
I dont have any experience with the older campers, but our 14 has held up well. We are the second owner and have driven mainly highway but have taken it on forest roads here in NM and CO. Ours is a hard side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FourWheelOverland

Four_Wheel_Overland on Instagram
If they are wood framed, I would not recommend. I will never own a wooden framed camper used off pavement again.

Monkeysee

I almost purchased a palomino S550 popup from Cheyenne camping. After putting a $500 deposit down on eBay, the owner contacted me to make sure I understood gross vehicle weight, and whether or not that camper was the right fit for my truck.

It turns out it would have come come in quite a bit overweight, so the owner, who is quite a character but very honest, gave me a refund of my deposit.

I purchased a used 2008 FWC Grandby when a local one came up for sale about a week after the deposit refund.

The palominos were nice inside when I checked them out and was comparing prices. Sure seems like you get a lot of camper for the price.

It did seem however there was a lot of weight being taken up with cabinets and storage such as under the upper bed.

It also seems like the camper pops up why less then the fwc, so it's tall profile for a popup.

ovrlnd lite

Picked up a new Palomino SS1200 last April. Put about 40 days/nights on it without any issues. No serious 4X4 just some Forest / Logging roads and the offshoots of those. I’ve been very happy with the Palomino, especially for the price. Last rig was a RTT and enjoy the Pop Up Camper even more as I wanted sink/stove/toilet all inside the camper. I can’t speak for quality issues on the older models but I have had zero issues with the 2018.

SidecarFlip

My wife and I have a 3 year old Palomino SS1500 pop up that we haul on our F350 CC LB 4x4 diesel and we run it off road all the time. Not bouncing from rock to rock, but carefully and it's been trouble free. Nothing has loosened up, no squeaks, nothing. Only thing I'm going to do this year is fit a compressor fridge, tired of dealing with the ammonia fridge and it's level issues. My loaded weight with 21 gallons of water and 2 full propane bottles, gear and portable genny is 2400 pounds. Well within the capabilities of our F350 SRW. For the asking price the Palomino is an unbeatable bargain. Ours was 12K out the door. A new FWC is about 30 out the door I can buy 2 Palomino's and have change left for one FWC. We looked at prices before we bought and we had a Lance Hard side prior to. The hard side Lance was impossible off road. Too high, too wide and the vertical Cg made it feel tippy, plus it was HEAVY., Don't even know the Palomino is back there unless I look.

The Reico Titan electric roof lift is fantastic as well. Beats any manual lift. 20 seconds and it''s up and locked in place. Same way with down. Very easy to deal with. My wife wanted a wet bath so the choices were somewhat limited. The SS1500 has hot and cold water and a marine head. Just right for us. I recommend it.

hemifoot

Observer
the only dealbreaker we had was the pop up had to have a north/south bed.it was really hard to find in an 8 foot popup camper up here in canada.

CreeksideKP

Palomino's quality has improved greatly since Forest River bought them. 2013 or 2014 was the first model year with the improvements.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

the only dealbreaker we had was the pop up had to have a north/south bed.it was really hard to find in an 8 foot popup camper up here in canada.

The SS1200 is a north South bed. Didn't matter to us at all. Once my wife is snuggled in, she never moves until sun up. I sleep on the outside, I have a CPAP machine to contend with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles