PINS trip

Tomin

Perterra I haven’t heard of the one around 40. I will definitely go look around for it. But the sand is always shifting. Maybe hidden now or more showing. Would be a cool find. I know about treasure hill aka singer fortune. There are lots of stories pirate ships and ranchers burying there loot. I always check the eroding dunes. Never know. Thanks.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
After seeing all this PINS is definitely on my list. Thanks for posting.

But in the meantime I will get my toes in the sands of Baja in late December.
7f724bc8e6fed95a43c587990fbcbfe4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, PINS is a must do on anyone's list for CONUS Overland travel. Between PINS with its 60 miles of beachfront access, Matagorda with its 20 miles, and Crystal Beach/Bolivar Peninsula with its 27 miles, there's over 100 miles of surf side driving pleasure in this great state. Any and all of it is worth experiencing but the history and vast stretches of isolation that PINS offers is certainly the most rewarding.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Heck, I hate to hear they closed it.

Yes it is indeed sad, that pier was always busy at night, from both ends of the bay. I grew up about 50 miles from there and when we were in HS (before we owned our own boats) we would go down there on weekends and fish. We even snuck out a few times on school nights to fish through the night before school the next morning.

I haven't fished from a pier in years, but I have many fond memories of that place and I am sad that it is now gone and never to return.

TxAirHedz

I am very familiar with Port A, Rockport, and Aransas Pass. Spent many a weekend there fishing.
I've always wanted to take a trip down the beach at PINS. I guess I'm just a bit too chicken to venture out that far down.

Funny thing is that I've gone 50+ miles offshore alone.
Never gave it a 2nd thought.

Your report makes it look easy.
Thanks.

Tomin

I am very familiar with Port A, Rockport, and Aransas Pass. Spent many a weekend there fishing.
I've always wanted to take a trip down the beach at PINS. I guess I'm just a bit too chicken to venture out that far down.

Thanks.

Most of time I’m ready to go back at drop of a hat. Let me know if you are up for a try when you are down in these parts again. I’ll go, but I always spend the night HaHa. So if you just going for day trip, your on your own getting back up beach. But it’s not really a big deal. 4x4 all good.

perterra

Adventurer

Thanks.

I passed a guy sitting on the hood of a 30 year old Cadillac about 20 miles down the island a few years ago. He was running right along the surf line. I have been several times all the way to Mansfield cut and never used 4WD, other times, dropped off the pavement and within a mile was locking the hubs. All depends on the sand condition

TxAirHedz

The biggest concern for me has always been that changes in the conditions can come so quickly. Not only the changes in the sand, but the tides can rise higher than usual due to that persistent south wind.

Also, the chances of you running into some not so friendly people are much more likely on land than on the water. Of course, there are preparations you can make for those instances.

I’m sure it would be best to go with at least 1 other rig. There’s always security in numbers. So, I might have to hit Tomin up when I get ready.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.4 and an Aliner (somewhat) offroad capable trailer. So I think with a few minor additions my rig would be ok.

Now you guys have me thinkin’ about this.......

perterra

Adventurer
The biggest concern for me has always been that changes in the conditions can come so quickly. Not only the changes in the sand, but the tides can rise higher than usual due to that persistent south wind.

Also, the chances of you running into some not so friendly people are much more likely on land than on the water. Of course, there are preparations you can make for those instances.

I’m sure it would be best to go with at least 1 other rig. There’s always security in numbers. So, I might have to hit Tomin up when I get ready.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.4 and an Aliner (somewhat) offroad capable trailer. So I think with a few minor additions my rig would be ok.

perterra

Adventurer

With a hard easterly wind at high tide the beach can get a little constricted, but watch the weather and you should be fine. I picked up 6 almost unused camper leveling blocks on this Sunday drive down the beach. You can see one in the photo. LOL The trailer ahead, no one was there and water was lapping at the wheels. This was all within a mile of the pavement ending.

1488773292949.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I passed a guy sitting on the hood of a 30 year old Cadillac about 20 miles down the island a few years ago. He was running right along the surf line. I have been several times all the way to Mansfield cut and never used 4WD, other times, dropped off the pavement and within a mile was locking the hubs. All depends on the sand condition

Yes, it always a crap shoot. I have been where the entire run was hard pack and a Camry could have gone down and back and then I have been times where I was worried we wouldn't have the fuel to return because the sand was so deep and soft we were getting 4-6 mpg's trugging along.

Keep your GMRS radio with you and tuned to the NOAA channel. For the most part you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect within the following 72 hours. Tides are relatively low for the most part, moving 1.3-1.7 feet at most. I've never had a run in with anyone in all of my years running PINS or even lately doing the Matagorda run but rest assured that I always take along a fix or two for those "what if" moments.

A few of us will be there Nov. 30 through Dec. 2, feel free to tag along. Like @perterra said, it's not really worth the trip if you don't overnight at least for one night.

Tomin

I was thinking back at all the trips I’ve taken down there. Only problem I had, people wise, was first time I was on beach stopped at about 8 miles down and set up camp. Jumped in truck and headed down beach to see what was down farther. Came back and camp was missing a few things. That was years ago. Now I never stay at the beginning. The farther you go down the less people and the people that go that far are fishermen and people just getting away. Never have had a problem since. More respectful I guess the farther you go. Of course I always carry a backup plan.

Tomin

With a hard easterly wind at high tide the beach can get a little constricted, but watch the weather and you should be fine. I picked up 6 almost unused camper leveling blocks on this Sunday drive down the beach. You can see one in the photo. LOL The trailer ahead, no one was there and water was lapping at the wheels. This was all within a mile of the pavement ending.

1488773292949.jpg
HaHa. Yes. Beach treasure is fun. And wondering what people were thinking when parking and leaving Trailer. Everyday is a new adventure for sure.

Tomin

Great to see another Squarebody out on an adventure. Great pics and report.

It’s good to be square. Is pic in sig yours? I have been looking for one with camper back for long while. The only one around here isn’t for sale, I’ve tried HaHa. I built mine to use. No mall crawl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles