New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My prediction is that these last a couple years and then disappear. They’ll be priced higher than other midsize trucks. FCA will discontinue them citing lack of consumer interest.
I think you could be right. I'm thinking they'll be a 55-60k truck. And that will be a tough pill to swallow.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Your better off with a 2500 for that money.

not necessarily. Bob has 60k to drop on a new truck, does he need 3/4 ton capacity? No? go with the wrangler. Does he prefer a smaller footprint? Go with the wrangler. Does he want something that will (probably) be more comfortable on the road or bouncing down the trail, wrangler. Does he want 28ish (maybe?) mpg vs 12mpg? Wrangler.

does Bob have a horse trailer, or a family of 5 or 6 that dont particularly want to rough it in a tent and are disinclined to pack conservatively? 1-ton.

Home depot sells 8oz hammers and 12lb sledges for a reason.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
They're even saying it has 1600lbs load capacity and ~7000lbs towing. Best is class supposedly.

I think this will be good!

... I'm already wondering how to replace that hard top with something Ursa Minor style.. but the flex between the tray and the cab will be an issue I'm sure

-Dan

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm not towing 7000# with a jeep. Don't care what the rating says. 1600 cargo seems decent though.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Agreed, it's a wheelbase thing, even grand wagoneers are too short to tow. The 'toad' pushes these vehicles around too much. Done both.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
not necessarily. Bob has 60k to drop on a new truck, does he need 3/4 ton capacity? No? go with the wrangler. Does he prefer a smaller footprint? Go with the wrangler. Does he want something that will (probably) be more comfortable on the road or bouncing down the trail, wrangler. Does he want 28ish (maybe?) mpg vs 12mpg? Wrangler.

does Bob have a horse trailer, or a family of 5 or 6 that dont particularly want to rough it in a tent and are disinclined to pack conservatively? 1-ton.

Home depot sells 8oz hammers and 12lb sledges for a reason.
Not to mention the presumption is that the top of the line midsize is equal to an entry or mid grade full size of equal cost. To get diesel, lockers, upgraded axles pushes the full size cost up, too. There's some market demand pushing midsize truck prices up a little but the manufacturers aren't going to give away the store.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Agreed, it's a wheelbase thing, even grand wagoneers are too short to tow. The 'toad' pushes these vehicles around too much. Done both.

Though this will be the longest wheelbase Jeep to come out of the factory in what, 30+ years?

-Dan

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Exactly.

I'll wait to judge it in person. I thought the 4 doors were ugly, this is a new level............ That pic is at a pretty bad angle.

smlobx

Wanderer
Can we get one made by someone other than FCA?

You already can.

Just buy a 79 Land Cruiser and drive it in Africa or some other place that's legal...
You'll have to get this Jeep if you want similar capability.

Last edited:

smlobx

Wanderer
For those like me who have been waiting to see the 3.0 diesel in a Jeep....I stopped in at the Reno Jeep dealer a week ago and asked if they had an update on when to expect the diesel engine. The sales manager told me they'd just had an update and earliest expected date is now 2021.......apparently the battles with the EPA are not over yet.

Not. True...

You can get the diesel in the Grand Cherokees without any problems...

https://www.koonsjeep.com/koons-bla...ed=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-packages-3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior