DIY Composite Flatbed Camper Build

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That may be the variance between factories or production runs. However, if you get all your sheets from the same production run, they will likely be withing 1/16" of each other, with minor variance. I have used foam board in varying thicknesses for plug/mold setup and some composite parts over the years. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 sheets that were defective, and had "major" variances in thickness.

The Artisan

Adventurer
That may be the variance between factories or production runs. However, if you get all your sheets from the same production run, they will likely be withing 1/16" of each other, with minor variance. I have used foam board in varying thicknesses for plug/mold setup and some composite parts over the years. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 sheets that were defective, and had "major" variances in thickness.
Thanks, just contacted a supplier on Panelcore 40. Looking at all options. My prototype was built with 2.2 eps 2" and .027 skins and is very stout at 12 ft x 7. 2 people stood on the roof at 425lbs plus, very little deflection
This client build will be 18' 2.5 2.25 thickness and .040 skins.
Kevin

Last edited:

zb39

Adventurer
Jim, the guy on the other side of you got stuck going out. Another guy came up and threw a mattrax under each of his 4 tires and he kept moving.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Jim, the guy on the other side of you got stuck going out. Another guy came up and threw a mattrax under each of his 4 tires and he kept moving.
Guess your duals helped a lot? Or maybe its just the cummins difference :) Jeff

Interesting how this build thread is becoming a personal / business promo for panels. I personally had no issues with the Dow 60 foam board.

FYI, Ive never seen such inconsistencies with DOW products.
Since you are over in Idaho, call FMI. They are in Post Falls and Jerome. They mold the Fox Blocks I use for concrete homes and I have had them cut sheets of foam 1 and 1/4" thick for our horse trailer. I even had them cut the Neopor for the higher R factor. I am not sure they sell to the public. I bought it thru work, since we are a Fox Blocks distributor.

ScottReb

Adventurer
To buy the precision planed panels either Dow or OC, they generally want a literal truckload. Now if you can find someone using those volumes and piggyback with them you might be in luck.

The Artisan

Adventurer
To buy the precision planed panels either Dow or OC, they generally want a literal truckload. Now if you can find someone using those volumes and piggyback with them you might be in luck.
Thanks found dow highload 60 locally, so I can go pick up the panels 30 min from me.
Kevin

ScottReb

Adventurer
If you know someone with a large belt sander (25 "+) you can run them through that. Removes the embossing, roughs them up and even out any variance. You only loose than an 1/8" between doing both sides.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Does anybody have an idea or thoughts about awnings? I decided to take down my 10 footer self support dometic to see if ride quality could be improved.
It's 65 pounds and definitely makes a difference without it. I've looked at ARB, Smittybilt, and Fiama. I'm thinking I'll mount it half way down on the door side
where the cab over and side wall meet. Not sure how it will mount against a flat wall without drilling all the way through. Will probably have to make some
custom brackets. Another idea is one of these portable pop up shelters, just not sure about space for carrying. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

java

Expedition Leader
Does anybody have an idea or thoughts about awnings? I decided to take down my 10 footer self support dometic to see if ride quality could be improved.
It's 65 pounds and definitely makes a difference without it. I've looked at ARB, Smittybilt, and Fiama. I'm thinking I'll mount it half way down on the door side
where the cab over and side wall meet. Not sure how it will mount against a flat wall without drilling all the way through. Will probably have to make some
custom brackets. Another idea is one of these portable pop up shelters, just not sure about space for carrying. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Pluses and minuses to both, I like the one on the truck to provide a bit of protection from rain/snow/sun right there. But the EZ up can be taken anywhere. In the summer we take both usually.

The bag awnings are fine if you can reach them. I did one above the door and it was so high up I couldn't possibly set it up. But mounting lower (on my truck) it was so small it was nearly useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94