MaxTrax, are they worth it?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If only someone would say "yes my MaxTraxs were worth it because these other 4 devices that cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much did not work at all". Saying they worked to get you unstuck justifies them in a binary world where the only two options are nothing and MaxTrax.

I'm genuinely interested. If everything thing else truly sucked in comparison that would be great information. But this whole thread is basically "It worked great in comparison with nothing else in the universe so they are totally worth it!"

I believe they are worth it in regards to their better durability when compared to lower cost options. That said, there are a few new competitors in this arena and their durability and usefulness remains to be seen, so for now the MaxTrax remain the top dog. MaxTrax also recently introduced Mini's which appear to be half the size of the originals and some extreme version which has even larger and more aggressive studs.

crazysccrmd

Observer
If only someone would say "yes my MaxTraxs were worth it because these other 4 devices that cost 1/2 to 1/4 as much did not work at all". Saying they worked to get you unstuck justifies them in a binary world where the only two options are nothing and MaxTrax.

I'm genuinely interested. If everything thing else truly sucked in comparison that would be great information. But this whole thread is basically "It worked great in comparison with nothing else in the universe so they are totally worth it!"

My TREDs got the vehicles out every time they were used but they also broke every time they were used. They were replaced under warranty each time but if you’re traveling or need them more than once you might be screwed. The maxtrax I bought to replace them haven’t broken in the same conditions.

Ray_G

Explorer

So you want to replace a false binary with a...false binary?

Yes they are worth it, still. Do they have 2x the value of a cheaper, but potentially effective, solution?

It depends.

This thread is an illustration of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badmiker

So what do the heavy guys use? Vehicles like Man TGSs, LMTVs, MB Actros or Zetros? These are great up to what 2.5 tones? What would a 11 ton truck use?

Badmiker

Ok, sold.
I'll be ensuring that I have options like these, bridging ladders, dead man anchors and a pull-pal. And a couple of winches....

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
But the #1 is airing down. Way down.
Yep.
So what do the heavy guys use? Vehicles like Man TGSs, LMTVs, MB Actros or Zetros? These are great up to what 2.5 tones? What would a 11 ton truck use?
P1090021cE.jpg
1.4T on that wheel.
Cut them to any length or width you please.
If you are in Adelaide Australia, I will sell you a pair of these for AUD$50 - I have several.
I don't carry them - refer to quote #1 above.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

roving1

I had a set of these or a hacked together equivalent for 20 years driving a truck. Work really well .

old .45

Observer
Traction board leashes... make your own out of bright colored nylon webbing ( about 6' to or so) from your local hdw. store . Make a loop on each end, one small and one large (to slip the large loop for your hand thru the smaller loop which is threaded thru the traction board) sew with striped 550 cord (burn holes with an awl) or just go cheap and nasty... tie knots!, either way it is a cheap mod. :)

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
All these "devices" are fine if you get momentarily bogged, but if you have several hundred kilometres of soft stuff and 1,100+ sand dunes to climb like in the Simpson Desert in the video clip below, then airing down is the only way.
here's a short (1 minute) video of 4.5 tonnes on 19.5" 285/70R19.5 at around 25 psi in Simpson dune sand (up east side). A little lower needed for "little red". Walked back for a look see if there were any little hills in the tracks (wheel spin).
http://epicycles.com/Truck Blog/2017-06-08/P1100364.MP4
while resting for a few days (waiting for parts) we watched many different vehicles pass. Initially we scored out of 10 for crossing the dune. We changed that to separate marks for "artistic excellence" and "technique" to separate those who would take a run at it so as to take off at the top and those who simply drove up.
I make no claims to having any particular expertise, but perhaps some experience.
Airing down also works for mud, but in both sand and mud you need to do it sooner rather than later, before you are down to the axles.
This is the Allrad 4WD show camping area at Bad Kissingen, Germany, in 2013.
There were bogged vehicles all over the place and several tractors pulling them out. We aired down (to about 10psi) and simply drove out.
P1000711c.jpg
Cheers,
Peter

roving1

People get stuck all the time after airing down in every kind of situation imaginable. No one in this thread is unaware of the concept of airing down. Truly baffled as to the point of the comment.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Well I am not sure what the habits are in your neck of the woods, but many Europeans never consider letting the air out.
And, as I suggested, if you have 700km of soft sand to traverse, airing down is about the only option and if you do get stuck when aired down then you need to air down some more and maybe get the shovel out too? :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Ray_G

Explorer
I've gotten stuck plenty after airing down, and before you get the shovel out...get the maxtrax out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmbrowning

4000 lbs in ditch...yeah, they're worth it.View attachment 471214View attachment 471215
Just curious. Were the hydraulics hinky on the backhoe?

I have had similar stuck situations in the 2wd Cat 416b when working in the creek and ended up down to the frame in loose gravel and running water but have always been able to get myself out using the hoe, stabilizer legs, and the front loader. I thought I was going to die in a rollover once or twice but crabwalking the hoe end got me to Terra firma.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Just curious. Were the hydraulics hinky on the backhoe?

I have had similar stuck situations in the 2wd Cat 416b when working in the creek and ended up down to the frame in loose gravel and running water but have always been able to get myself out using the hoe, stabilizer legs, and the front loader. I thought I was going to die in a rollover once or twice but crabwalking the hoe end got me to Terra firma.

Great question. Nah.....more operator inexperience then equipment capability. The backhoe has the power to lift the entire machine, but I just didn't feel I have the "touch" with controls to pull off such a maneuver, so old school with MaxTrax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94