What is the best year for the 100 series Land Cruiser?

hayde89

I wouldn't let AHC scare you. It's a very simple system. If well maintained it can run for as long as the truck does. The benefit is you are able to lift 2 inches with a touch of a button and then lower back down for better highway driving. I ripped mine out prematurely and I regret doing so. I currently have an 2004 LX and its a great vehicle. But I would love to have owned a 2006-2007 for the added horse power benefit.

Arktikos

Explorer
Beast, thanks for your input. What would be the difference in getting a similar year Lexus GX470? They seem to be more available and slightly cheaper than the L.C.'s of the same year on the same platform. Too much electronics?
jefe

Either model will have a ton of electronics compared to an older LC wagon. The GX is sized more closely to a 55 or 60 then the 100 series though believe it or not, wider and taller.
You'd get a bit better gas mileage with it, a noticeably superior number to the old inline sixes. 100 series is even better than the F engine wagons, but still a real pig due to the huge size and weight.

hayde89

The 100 series are considered under powered with only a few more horses than the 80 series. Pulling a trailer is where you really feel the lack of HP.

Check this 100 series FAQ on MUD

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-faq.30754/

Drove a 5th gen 4runner and now a 100 series. It is pretty good compared to modern SUVs of it's size. I have towed quite a bit with mine with no issue other than going up big inclines.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
2006-2007 the additional HP for me was needed for power at highway speeds and towing. The Lexus is much quieter than the LC. The interior and lighting package is also nicer on the LX. AHC is only unwanted if you dont have it set up correctly or never owned it otherwise it rocks IMO. VGRS Lexus steering combine with adjustable AHC handles the road much better also.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The best deal on the best condition rig is the best for a 100. They are all good. I’m partial to my ‘99 as it has the factory locker, which I wanted. The ‘06 I had for a while was admittedly a little nicer on the highway, but not worth double the money than the older one.

Conundrum

Observer
You might be thinking of the FJ80 or FZJ80...four door wagon, factory option lockers front and rear. If you are looking for a rear locker in a 100, 98 and 99.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 100 series are considered under powered with only a few more horses than the 80 series. Pulling a trailer is where you really feel the lack of HP.

Considered “underpowered” by whom??? The nitro burning funny car drivers of America?? Sure, they might think so, but anyone who is looking for a suv to (very) reliably and safely transport themselves, passengers and cargo over a multitude of terrain situations will be more than happy with the power output. Then again, I pulled a 31’ Airstream with my 80 series on 35s, so maybe I’m not the best to judge towing ability...

MTSN

Explorer
Considered “underpowered” by whom??? The nitro burning funny car drivers of America?? Sure, they might think so, but anyone who is looking for a suv to (very) reliably and safely transport themselves, passengers and cargo over a multitude of terrain situations will be more than happy with the power output. Then again, I pulled a 31’ Airstream with my 80 series on 35s, so maybe I’m not the best to judge towing ability...

From 98-05 the 100 series had 230 hp to haul around nearly 3 tons of mass. The Toyota Camry weighs about 3,300 pounds and has 300 hp. So ya most people would say by modern standards the 100 is underpowered.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
From 98-05 the 100 series had 230 hp, So ya most people would say by modern standards the 100 is underpowered.

Well, it was just fine in the time it was built. It’s all perspective. I don’t find it underpowered as I realize that it IS a 20 year old vehicle. If you want big power to get your kids to soccer practice quicker, buy something brand new.

MTSN

Explorer
Well, it was just fine in the time it was built. It’s all perspective. I don’t find it underpowered as I realize that it IS a 20 year old vehicle. If you want big power to get your kids to soccer practice quicker, buy something brand new.

It’s 20 years since the 100 came out, so ya things have changed a bit. Just because it’s acceptable to you doesn’t mean people are crazy for thinking 230 hp isn’t very much for a Land Cruiser, because it’s not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles