Ambulance Build thread

Busted Knuckle

Hello everyone,
After much searching and reading the threads on ambulance conversions, I've picked up my own. Found a '96 F350 4wd 7.3, just under 100,000 miles and has direct access to the back.
Looking forward to the build. I have a lot of plans, but the first objective is the sleeping arrangement. I've come up with an initial design and welcome any recommendations. The slats in the first picture would fold up and be stored in the cabinet, this will also be used as a seat in the back when the bed is not in use.

Attachments

• cabinet expanded.jpg
    cabinet expanded.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 82
  • closed bed.jpg
    closed bed.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 80
Very cool! Having spent many long hours "on the box", I'm interested to see what you come up with. Always seemed like a great foundation to start with. Good luck! Sub'd.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1996 model, was this one equipped with a generator, or fed using the main battery as it's power source?

Busted Knuckle

1996 model, was this one equipped with a generator, or fed using the main battery as it's power source?

No generator installed, I'll carry a 2000w champion Right now it's just batteries and a small 300 w inverter. I have a 1500 watt I will switch it out with. I have a 3000 watt as well, but that would be overkill. Most things will be 12v.

Ah okay, I see. Just thinking how convenient that would be to luck out and have the gen wiring all setup and ready to go. Sounds like a plan though! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Busted Knuckle

Just ordered a diesel fired air heater to heat the box when not moving. Will draw diesel from the truck fuel tank. Was going to go with water heater type, but decided to go the less expensive route for now since I have a tank less water heater already. Has anyone used or installed one of these?
Diesel Heater

rlrenz

Explorer
The only problem with the diesel fired heaters I've run into is carbon - they have to be kept clean. The military has used diesel fired heaters for years with good success. One point of concern - since the heater pulls fuel from the truck's fuel tank, you could find yourself low on truck fuel if you sit in one place and run the heater for an extended time.

pennersm

Observer
I am going the same route in my ambo. The price is right and I didn't want a propane catalytic heater in mine. To Bob's point, I used a ton of them throughout my career in the Marine Corps and found that carbon really only becomes an issue if you run them on low for long periods of time. We always made sure we fired them up to full blast for at least five minutes before shutting them down to burn off the carbon so it doesn't accumulate. That seemed to work for the styles we used, lets hope these chinese heaters work the same...

rlrenz

Explorer
One thought might be to use a military diesel fueled heater. After all the years they have been in use, the system is pretty reliable. Pennersm said it all --

Busted Knuckle

20181224_145106.jpg20181224_145115.jpgMade some progress on the heater, really happy with it so far both in the installation and functionality.
20181222_120108-jpg.490317

Attachments

• 20181222_120108.jpg
    20181222_120108.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 327

Pangle

Wanderer
I have considered installing one of these cheaper units in mine... Ill be interested in your thoughts.

Busted Knuckle

Heater has been working great! Plumbed up directly to fuel line, have to install a check valve. On to the next project, shower/place to stand to use the sink. Just cut the floor today, next step is getting the new entrance made and installed.

Attachments

• 20190106_124439.jpg
    20190106_124439.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190106_164543.jpg
    IMG_20190106_164543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member