which newer full size 1/2 ton is the best overland platform

Ballbearing

Observer
The best 1/2 ton overland platform is a Ram Powerwagon. 3/4 ton running gear and durability with soft riding coils that support a load like a half ton. There is zero reason to overload any half ton when that truck is available for the same price.

Think about it.
I'd love to have one of those but the fuel mileage reports scare me. It seems that most of the 1/2 tons have a much better range and better mpg. Other than that, I agree that it is about the best platform (on paper anyway). I have no first hand knowledge though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
:sombrero: I've had Ford 1/2 ton/Dodge Power Wagons/Ford Rangers and my last (NEW) Dodge Ram 1500-3.92 gears/5,7L HEMI/ZF 8spd auto/4auto-4lo-4hi-

Avg mileage 19mpg and without a doubt it's the latest/greatest pickup I've ever owned-

All leather interior/LED lighting and pure comfort hiwy driving, 19mpg on trip from RENO/Las Vegas-

After all my 4wd pickups/jeeps--this is the most powerful/best mileage/trouble free/enjoyable vehicle, in my stable-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I have been really happy with my 2014 Ram 1500. The 5.7L / 3.92 / ZF 8 speed with all the other drivetrain goodies is a fantastic combo. I was hooked 5 minutes into my test drive. heh

I have been very pleased with this truck, and other than a few minor issues (exhaust manifold studs replaced under warranty) it has been great. Mileage is better than my 2005 Jeep GC Hemi and it has gobs of room with the crew cab for the kids. I am in the process of building a custom pop-up camper for it (modeled after a FWC Camper) which I am certain it will handle with ease (around 1000#).

I like Ford and looked for a 5.0L crew but could not find one used. I have never owned a Chev truck, and honestly I am not a fan of some of the looks... but the drivetrains seem to be solid.

As for the OP's question, would this be a good overland truck... with the right lift, tires and stuff, sure. Though I would likely not have opted for the Sport because of all the front fascia and bumpers. The lower model steel would have been a better option.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'd love to have one of those but the fuel mileage reports scare me. It seems that most of the 1/2 tons have a much better range and better mpg. Other than that, I agree that it is about the best platform (on paper anyway). I have no first hand knowledge though.

That's because it comes with 4.10s and your half ton has 3.43s or worse.They fit 37s stock and drive fine with the factory 4.10 gearing. Run 35s and it will get better mileage than stock and the same mileage as a 1500 on 35s.

Now that half tons are the same size and price as 3/4 ton trucks, they make no sense if you are buying something to carry a load long distances.

A 3/4 ton truck is so much more comfortable with 1000# in the bed it isn't funny. And before you think you don't carry 1000#, start adding things up.

Topper= 300#
Drawer System= 200#
All your traveling crap= 500# plus

I remember my last half ton, a 4wd SuperCrew F150 bottoming out on bridge transitions on the interstate with just a couple of people in it. Half tons are just so geared toward comfort it doesn't make sense if you plan on carrying a load more than around town.

The Powerwagon might not be for everyone but if you are buying a half ton for "overlanding" I'd encourage you to at least go drive one to rule it out before plunking money down on a 1500.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I wouldn't let fuel mileage scare you.

The gas F250's get 15mpg hwy all day long loaded down. Also consider setting one of those up, if a PW isn't perfect. My entire build will be less than a box stock PW in cost.

F250 ccsb, fx4, xl+. $38 000
front locker and regear to 4.88. $3 000.
Bds 4" lift, 37" tires, 18x9" +18 Method nv wheels, fender flares, $4 000.

$45 000 total. PW's were $50 000 to 60 000, around here.

Plenty of budget room for deavers and kings. Heck, my truck stock, with a slide in camper, is hardly more than a PW alone.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You can get a 15,000 mile two year old PW for mid $30s all day long. There are dozens on Cars.com. Add tires and go to town. No lift needed. No wheels needed. Factory winch and lockers. That's $5000 of factory mods right there. And they push 37s fine with the stock 4.10 gearing.

Half tons need a lift, wheels, and tires off the lot before doing anything but gravel. Most come with 20s with passenger tires. HD trucks don't need any of that stuff.

Regardless of whether you go Ford or Ram. Look at the 2500s hard before buying a half ton that needs a ton of mods and still isn't as capable as a stock 2500. Just don't buy an IFS 2500 GM truck. Solid axle is where it's at.

Dalko43

Explorer

You will pay more for fuel with a 3/4 ton, there is no doubt about that. 15-16 mpg's highway are a best case scenario for a stock or lightly modified 3/4 ton with a gasoline engine; expect a bit lower for combined driving or after throwing a bunch of modifications and weight on.

Parts, repairs and general servicing will generally cost more too.

If you modify a 1/2 ton to the same degree and put similar loads in the back, is it possible the mpg advantage over a 3/4 ton will be seriously marginalized? Yes, but the flip side to that argument is that you don't have to put a bunch of weight onto your 1/2 ton truck in order to make it a decent overlander. A Fx4 F-150 with the 2.7l ecoboost with a slight lift and maybe a +1 or +2 tire size will give you 99% of what you truly need in an overland vehicle and the mpg's will still be a bit higher than what you're going to get with a 3/4 ton. A Tundra won't offer as good of mpg's, but that thing's reliability might more than make up for that shortcoming if you plan on owning it for the longterm.

If you truly want or need the payload/towing capabilities and/or the solid front axle, get the 3/4 ton (PW or Super Duty)....just be prepared to spend more money on running and maintaining that vehicle.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
A gas 3/4 ton will cost less to maintain than a 1/2 ton because the wear points in the suspension and running gear will last significantly longer. I have 80,000 miles on my Diesel Ram and still have half of the original brake pads left. A gas truck would be even better because it weighs less.The fluid changes are the same price and intervals on both trucks. At 80,000 or 100,000 miles on a half ton you are looking at replacing every wearable suspension/steering component in the front end.

Th 1-2 mpg difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton on 35" tires is nothing over the course of a year.

Dalko43

Explorer
A gas 3/4 ton will cost less to maintain than a 1/2 ton because the wear points in the suspension and running gear will last significantly longer. I have 80,000 miles on my Diesel Ram and still have half of the original brake pads left. A gas truck would be even better because it weighs less.The fluid changes are the same price and intervals on both trucks. At 80,000 or 100,000 miles on a half ton you are looking at replacing every wearable suspension/steering component in the front end.

More oil to change for the 3/4 ton, components generally cost more when they do require service or replacement, and the 3/4 ton engines (gasoline or diesel) will require more fuel compared to the 1/2 ton options. 3/4 tons cost more to operate.

3/4 tons arguably will last longer due to how they're built, but for the period of average period of ownership (5-8 years), the 1/2 ton will probably still be cheaper to own. And honestly if you pick the right 1/2 ton (ahem...Tundra), you shouldn't have to do much, if anything, within the first 250k miles, outside of regular maintenance. Some 1/2 tons are better than others when it comes to longevity.

Th 1-2 mpg difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton on 35" tires is nothing over the course of a year.

Maybe, but again I'll point out: you don't have to put 35's on a 1/2 ton to make it "overland ready." If you keep them stock or moderately modified, 1/2 tons will return half decent mpg's.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
More oil to change for the 3/4 ton, components generally cost more when they do require service or replacement, and the 3/4 ton engines (gasoline or diesel) will require more fuel compared to the 1/2 ton options. 3/4 tons cost more to operate.

3/4 tons arguably will last longer due to how they're built, but for the period of average period of ownership (5-8 years), the 1/2 ton will probably still be cheaper to own. And honestly if you pick the right 1/2 ton (ahem...Tundra), you shouldn't have to do much, if anything, within the first 250k miles, outside of regular maintenance. Some 1/2 tons are better than others when it comes to longevity.

Having actually OWNED multiple makes of half ton and HD trucks that has not been my experience. The facts seem to agree. 5.7 and 6.4L Hemi have the same oil capacity. The 6.2L Ford actually has LESS oil capacity than the 5.0 and only 1 liter more than the Ecoboost. The Diesel is the only thing that is more expensive.

When Toyota makes an interior that doesn't look and feel 10 years old when designed let me know.

This is all pedantic anyway. Even if the 2500 is 15% or 25% more to own (it's not), that's 15% of almost nothing on today's vehicles. They are all extremely reliable.

Dalko43

Explorer
Having actually OWNED multiple makes of half ton and HD trucks that has not been my experience. The facts seem to agree. 5.7 and 6.4L Hemi have the same oil capacity. The 6.2L Ford actually has LESS oil capacity than the 5.0 and only 1 liter more than the Ecoboost. The Diesel is the only thing that is more expensive.

When Toyota makes an interior that doesn't look and feel 10 years old when designed let me know.

This is all pedantic anyway. Even if the 2500 is 15% or 25% more to own (it's not), that's 15% of almost nothing on today's vehicles. They are all extremely reliable.

Not pedantic at all...that cost discrepancy will really start to matter when fuel costs go back up, which they will at some point.

There might be some 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton gassers that have comparable oil capacity; on average, you will spend more on parts and maintenance for a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton, and you're most certainly going to spend more on fuel....all of that adds up over time.

We can play little games where we throw 35's and tons of gear on the 1/2 ton bring down the mpg to 3/4 ton levels. Comparing stock to stock, or nearly so, a 1/2 ton won't require as much fuel. The numbers that owners are reporting clearly prove that.

And yeah, the Tundra's interior is somewhat dated at this point....but it does work and it does hold up over time. The same can't always be said for what other OEM's are putting out. I also don't get why "truck" people get fixated on interiors. A/C works, seats bolstering stays in place, water doesn't leak in, and radio/bluetooth works...that's more than sufficient in my book. I'd be more fixated on engine and powertrain longevity/durability than I would be on interior amenities. Toyota has shown what their 1/2 ton looks like after 1 million miles...I'm still not confident that the other 1/2 tons are going to hold up for that amount of driving.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

Looks like the new Fords to me. Remove the badges and you can barely tell who made it. Luxury interiors that guys are demanding now-a-days, are kinda silly for a truck....gone are the days when you could hose them out... these are "trucks" right? :unsure:

2019-Toyota-Tundra_B_o.jpg

2019-Ford-F-150-interior.jpg

Trucks need to be more Minecat, and less Cadillac....well that is if you truly use it as a truck, most don't, which is why the interiors have become wussified...

http://www.mineute.com

This is a "truck" interior...those others, I don't know what effe they are....

mine-cat-ut99d-crew-cab-underground-truck-b50-072.1_f.jpg

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Nobody cares what a truck looks like after a million miles. I only care what it looks like while I own it. This thread is about newer full sizes anyway. If you guys want to drive old junk, have fun. I'll take my brand new truck that will do almost any trail with an interior like a luxury car. I love having that option as do most buyers.

Can we get back to which is best rather than digressing into old men sitting around the porch talking about the good old days of crappy interiors?

The reality is, all half tons are about the same, they all need suspension upgrades to carry a load and come with P-metric tires that need upgrading to LTs if you are going to take them in the dirt. Take your pick of whichever one you like the looks of feel of best. Most likely, it'll be gone before it needs anything other than fuel and oil changes anyway.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Do those giant tv screens dim down enough at night? Like almost gone? I hate it when my dash is brighter than my high beams.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2019-Ford-F-150-interior.jpg

Trucks need to be more Minecat, and less Cadillac....well that is if you truly use it as a truck, most don't, which is why the interiors have become wussified...

Lol, take away the big screen, heated seat buttons and push button start and that is my interior.... I like it.
I don't see any issue with the Tundra's interior either. (the SR5's, not the Platinum or 1794 or whatever is pictured)

Clutch

<---Pass
Nobody cares what a truck looks like after a million miles. I only care what it looks like while I own it. This thread is about newer full sizes anyway. If you guys want to drive old junk, have fun. I'll take my brand new truck that will do almost any trail with an interior like a luxury car. I love having that option as do most buyers.

Can we get back to which is best rather than digressing into old men sitting around the porch talking about the good old days of crappy interiors?

Who is talking about driving old junk? Sorry couldn't find a picture of a brand new Minecat at the time. Just want a truck interior that you aren't afraid to get dirty...something you can use and abuse, that is what trucks are made for right?

Sorry, luxury interiors don't belong in a truck.

Speaking of new interiors, though it looks like it was pulled from the previous gen F250/350. The 2019 F650/750 isn't terrible....no lame informant screen in these trucks. Fairly no nonsense. Would have no issue climbing into this with my muddy boots, saw dust covered clothes and oily work gloves. All it is missing is the hand shaker...

2019-Ford-F-650-interior-600x383.png

The reality is, all half tons are about the same, they all need suspension upgrades to carry a load and come with P-metric tires that need upgrading to LTs if you are going to take them in the dirt. Take your pick of whichever one you like the looks of feel of best. Most likely, it'll be gone before it needs anything other than fuel and oil changes anyway.

You can order a half ton with a heavy payload and LT tires, not sure what all the fuss is about. Heck most of the 3/4-1 ton trucks come with LT245/75R17 tires on them...what is that all about anyway? Looks awfully weenie on there, speaking of having to immediately upgrade tires as soon as you drive it off the lot.

7c5e5a63a992bd6c0baf1886730d7943.jpg

In all reality majority of truck buyers even a 1/2 ton is over-kill...you guys saying that you absolutely need a 3/4-1 ton are funny. The OP said he wanted to downsize anyways...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles