LS3 '07 Avalanche Build

Giving in to the requests and starting a long overdue build thread.... I'll back up to stock and document the upgrades from there.

The beginning... 2007 Chevy Avalanche LT GMT900 platform

The goal was to build a unique overland vehicle to utilize for exploration and my home on wheels when away traveling, seeking out powder days at the mountain, whitewater kayaking or just putting down miles off road to find that holy grail camping spot that few may ever see.

Then:
Stock 5.3 Vortec with custom tune
Rancho Quicklift leveling struts and shocks
33" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Flowmaster Super 44 dual exhaust
IMG_0969.JPG

Now:
Many many major upgrades have taken place over time, follow along and I'll take you thru the build...
IMG_2483.JPG

Last edited:
Since installing the leveling kit and bigger tires I knew I needed to recalibrate the speedo and try to compensate for lag between gears. So I purchased a Diablo tuner and got custom tuning done by a guy who goes by "Diablew" online. The difference was night and day over stock and much better than preloaded tunes on the unit!

At this point I can say I'm extremely happy with my 33" Trail Grapplers, 2 weeks after mounting them I ran over a 2 1/2" nail and when I pulled it out to my surprise the nail had gone into the tire down to the steel belt and had actually bent sideways instead of going thru. Almost 50,000 miles later and that tire never leaked any air and they always proved their worth on and off road.
IMG_2891.JPG

Next mod was a gift I suppose you could call it... Thanks to a young man, who judging by the Samuel Adams stamp on his hand and a brief exchange of information, had a few too many samples after his brewery tour..
Some months later this big trailer from AZ met me at the end of my street
IMG_4712.JPG
IMG_4746.JPGIMG_4747.JPG

So in short time with a leveling kit I have become nascar pit crew fast at changing CV axles... which gets very old very quick. To the point I was changing each side every other month. Many will say that the CVs are a weak point for GM IFS, I disagree, to an extent. Yes they aren't bulletproof but from my experience most of them fail due to poor front end geometry whether its a leveling kit, cranking torsion bars or low end lift kits. Add uneven terrain, poor steering angle and a little power and its a simple recipe for failure.

After quite a bit of consideration I decided on a new lift and suspension.
BDS 6" with Fox 2.0 Coilovers and reservoir shocks
IMG_5316.JPGIMG_5262.JPGIMG_5439.JPGIMG_5435.JPG

Lighting upgrades:

Spyderco LED Headlight swap with Putco switchbacks and DRLs
IMG_5039.JPGIMG_5265.JPGIMG_4111.jpg

Spyderco LED smoked taillights and Putco LED reverse bulbs
IMG_5320.JPG

Rear bumper Reverse/AUX Rigid Industries Dually cubes
IMG_6885.JPGIMG_5721.JPG

I am looking a the iron bull bumpers! My only concern is that the 2500 burb bumper was built on the 1500 jig, I still have to fab my own mounts.
Oh well, your ride looks like awesomeness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They make a beast of a bumper for sure. Those guys are pretty accommodating to a bit of customizing, but regardless I've seen 2500 Police Suburbans with their bumper on the site so they likely already make it!

Skid plates doing their job, sort of... Got to test out BDS Suspensions "No BS warranty". They quickly sent out replacement parts with no questions.

Front diff skid plate taco'd around the diff housing
IMG_5921.JPGIMG_5919.JPGIMG_5920.JPG

TNSG

They make a beast of a bumper for sure. Those guys are pretty accommodating to a bit of customizing, but regardless I've seen 2500 Police Suburbans with their bumper on the site so they likely already make it!

They do but I have to “fix” my own mounting plates. So until I have time and a shop...I will just admire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles