Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Numbchux

We use a TruckBedz fitted air mattress in our Outback occasionally, but I've never bothered taking a picture of it. I used it Saturday night for a short trip, and didn't even bother deflating it when I came home, so I took a picture in the driveway.

2018-10-15_02-49-50
by Numbchux, on Flickr

It's very comfortable. When my wife and I both sleep in it, we sleep with our heads toward the back of the car, that way we can get out the side doors easily without disturbing each other. This means flipping the back seat bottom up to get a completely flat sleeping platform, but this limits the height a bit. When I slept in it myself, I left the seat bottom down, which gave me the height/length, but then the floor isn't flat so I have to sleep with my head towards the front, which makes much more of an ordeal to get out the side door. Next project is to find a way to open the hatch from the inside!

hankgs

Adventurer
Probably a good time for an updated picture of the Crosstrek.

d6016e714cebb4492f5e5f2f583ed22f.jpg

I’m really reaching the point of limitations. Definitely not abandoning the platform, but the next steps are going to be long, tedious, and expensive.

- TD04 Turbo (just need to find a time I can have her down for a couple weeks just in case, then I’ll pull the trigger on the WRX turbo)
- Custom Fox/King Struts (again, need time. But also need to crap out like $1,200)
- Rear Bumper with spare mount and fold down table (likely the next move, as it’s the cheapest and easiest to still use my car daily while building.)

I should probably start a build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wondering if a Subie turbo would mess up the State of California's (People's Republic of...) smog certification standards...?

SXS_Windham

Hi everyone !

I've followed this post for a long time now, and think it's time for me to contribute a bit ! So here is my rig !
This is a 1997 SF5 Subaru Forester with a 2" lift kit from ADF and 215/75/15 BFG KO2, 5speed manual and low range gear. Outfitted with roofrack, awning, RTT and my OB badge !
I'm pretty happy with it, next mods will be : spare tire carrier, kitchen and drawers on the back, dual battery system and more lights.

Here are some pics :

And that's mind kind of little adventures :

I hope you enjoyed the pics and the video ! Maybe it's gonna give you some inspiration for your build ;)
Feel free to ask me any question !

For more awesome Subaru content, you can find me here too :
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/ALNSMOVERLAND
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sxs_alnsm/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/alnsmoverland
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/1260194...

PhulesAU

Explorer
Cool pictures everyone. I'm getting out of a Real Jeep Lj because of mobility problems ( just getting in and out) of it. And I'm liking the looks of the Subarus , especially since it'll be a DD and mild exploring vehicle. If I were to start with the 2010 year models to present, what model would ya'll recommend? for a 6'4" guy and 1 5'8" and a 90# lab? we'll not be camping ing just some mild country driving and hualin stuff. We're just beginning the ******** Cancer battle, so all around ease of use is the priority. Thanks Mark

ktiemann

Cool pictures everyone. I'm getting out of a Real Jeep Lj because of mobility problems ( just getting in and out) of it. And I'm liking the looks of the Subarus , especially since it'll be a DD and mild exploring vehicle. If I were to start with the 2010 year models to present, what model would ya'll recommend? for a 6'4" guy and 1 5'8" and a 90# lab? we'll not be camping ing just some mild country driving and hualin stuff. We're just beginning the **** Cancer battle, so all around ease of use is the priority. Thanks Mark

I am 6'7' and I dont have any issue as long as there is no sunroof. I have a 2018 outback but I know I fit in a 2013 Outback and Crosstrek and 2013-2017 forester. I also have a 90# dog, you probably want an forester or outback to give him some room. I had the Crosstrek and it was tight to fit much else in the back even with the seats folded down.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I am 6'7' and I dont have any issue as long as there is no sunroof. I have a 2018 outback but I know I fit in a 2013 Outback and Crosstrek and 2013-2017 forester. I also have a 90# dog, you probably want an forester or outback to give him some room. I had the Crosstrek and it was tight to fit much else in the back even with the seats folded down.
I'm 6'4. The Forester is plenty roomy but you can't get power seats without the worthless sunroof. I sat in an Ascent yesterday. Real nice and real expensive

PhulesAU

Explorer
LOL I drove a 04 Jeep with a soft top and half doos. What are power door locks??? Power seat windows locks mirrors are all on the not needed list. A/C and a good stereo, with leg and head room are deciding factors. That being said , I have a pretty good stereo guy foe after market. One other question. Are any of you Hams? I'll be doing at least a dual bander , and was wunderin' about RFI / bonding tricks for these particular vehicles.

subyrally

This post just gave me feels :(

Hal Passed away a few months ago, well, probably almost 6 months now... he was an amazing guy and truly passionate about all things automotive. on top of that, his outback was awesome.

Some pics of my 2015 Outback 2.5l Premium. First modification was a 19mm rear swaybar for better road handling. Then I got the Yakima LoadWarrior basket (probably never use it but it was too cheap to pass up). Then I got carried away. 225/65/17 Yokohama Geolander G015 tires on Sparco Terra wheels, LP Aventure brush guard with armor plates and the LP Aventure Skid plate. Not pictured is my "brush guard enhancement", an aluminum frame covered with 1/2" hardware cloth that I use once a month for my trip "up the mountain".

dWFqEIt.jpg

Eax7zJe.jpg

PHV2NQz.jpg

subyrally

Currently, my Crosstrek and WRX meet most of my adventure needs, but I am trying to keep the Crosstrek as nice as possible for as long as possible since it is brand new. The WRX is mostly for the twisty mountain roads and some gravel sections. I will take it just about anywhere as long as I dont have to go through much water, I have spent way too much building the engine to lock up another one, lol. I am in the early stages of setting up my Baja for overlanding. The first step is going to be getting a running engine into it, the original had 265k on it when it decided to eat a piston... I am looking to get hold of an Outback with the 3.6L and swap everything over to the Baja. Once i get it back on the road and through registration, I hope to get the modifications done. The idea for it is a long range adventure rig for two people and two large dogs. We will see how that works out, I guess, lol. I am also in the process of retrofitting 2012 WRX suspension to my 85 BRAT, the plan is to make it into a rally car to compete in the N/A 4WD class in a few local (east coast) races.

My Baja the day I bought it, got three months out of it...
13391580_10153673722596463_8377606070782199448_o.jpg

The BRAT, how it still sits, stupid winter weather...
46830869_10158905033069616_8490927551353454592_o.jpg

Here is an old shot of my WRX from before I build the new engine for it. Aside from lacking a light bar on the front bumper, it looks the same, for now. I am going to get it repainted this year since it got keyed a little while back.
12038161_10154252204819616_1298091350889638632_n.jpg

My Crosstrek is the Hyperblue car up front, this was taken at one of the last group rides from last year.
48404175_10158976597229616_3986727723778179072_o.jpg

How I set my Crosstrek up for camping when I went to STPR last June
34189463_10158295887119616_6735858963356581888_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles