OVRLND Camper - crolison’s build

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
The stove right next to the fuel fill is questionable. I do like the fold down table. That is a neat feature.

crolison

Observer
The stove right next to the fuel fill is questionable. I do like the fold down table. That is a neat feature.

I’ll be cooking off the passenger side table, I was just checking if it fit on the drivers as that side is easier to access how I park at the house.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Cool camper, you've done a great job. Do you live in Flag or somewhere in AZ? Id love to check out the camper some time. Also do you have specs on the ABS plastic you used, where you got it etc? Im looking to do some finish work inside my FWC and like how the ABS looks in your camper.

crolison

Observer
Cool camper, you've done a great job. Do you live in Flag or somewhere in AZ? Id love to check out the camper some time. Also do you have specs on the ABS plastic you used, where you got it etc? Im looking to do some finish work inside my FWC and like how the ABS looks in your camper.

Jay is in flagstaff, he makes the base camper. He has a general thread started in this section of the forum.

Here is the abs sheets I used, it varies price a lot and the cheapest I was looking at was $20 shipped a sheet.

ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) Sheet, Opaque White, 1/16" Thickness, 24" Width, 48" Length (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062R2VDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w1HoCbMKFJBPK

crolison

Observer
Started some work today on the propex hs2800 installation. Probably going to have to order some more exhaust tubing to get it outside of the truck bed foot print

1C3BB954-86CD-44B5-8448-A04F18E75277.jpeg

Zam15

Explorer
I've been looking at campers for a while, first FlipPac, then Habitat, more recently Gofast, Drifter and Summit. Are you happy you went this route? Was looking at the wedge campers, they are nice but you lose any usable space towards the front.... I'm tempted. This seems like the best option for a hard shell~ camper that will maximize the room for my 2004 DC Tacoma. My shell/RTT has gotten a lot of use but I'd like something where I could actually shelter from the weather...

Also - Any changes you would have made in the initial build?

huntsonora

Explorer
Great stuff!

I would be scared I’d rip a strut off on brush with them being on the side. Are they protected at all?

Last edited:

crolison

Observer
fast, Drifter and Sum
Great stuff!

I would be scared I’d rip a strut off on brush with them being on the side. Are they protected at all?
They are not really protected, guess i could make a guard for them, or add some limb risers. I believe with limb risers i could get any low hanging branches up to the roof and then at the end they would slide over the mounts. I am not worried about that at all really. The Go Fast also has external struts on the sides, and they aren't worried either.

I've been looking at campers for a while, first FlipPac, then Habitat, more recently Gofast, Drifter and Summit. Are you happy you went this route? Was looking at the wedge campers, they are nice but you lose any usable space towards the front.... I'm tempted. This seems like the best option for a hard shell~ camper that will maximize the room for my 2004 DC Tacoma. My shell/RTT has gotten a lot of use but I'd like something where I could actually shelter from the weather...

Also - Any changes you would have made in the initial build?

I am pretty happy with the route i chose. I wanted the largest sleeping area for a hard roofed camper for the price (queen size). I was originally on the fence on the side doors when i got them, but full love them now that i have modified them. This is camper #3 from Jay, and I am helping with small little nuances that can easily be fixed on upcoming campers. I would like to have mounted the lift struts on the front and rear of the camper, but there wasn't enough real estate on the front to make it work, those struts have been the best modification ive done so far.

I got the camper as a project to finish how i wanted to, pretty much going for a dirt bag four wheel camper approach.

lanefj40

Have you kept track of all your costs? Hardware, roof racks, struts, storage bags, electrical, propane tank and bracket etc?

crolison

Observer
Have you kept track of all your costs? Hardware, roof racks, struts, storage bags, electrical, propane tank and bracket etc?
Over all i have a good guesstimate, a portion of the stuff i had laying around.

My ordered options were about $700 over the initial camper price. So far i approximately have $150 into electrical, $200 on interior (panels, felt, velcro, insulation), $1000 into the heater (base purchase, propane detector, piping), $40 into the rack (craigslist), $200 into the gas struts / lift, currently $400 into interior supplies (8020 + hardware), I expect another $2-300 for interior build out and solar panel and then i should be done. Knowing what i know now i could probably shrink some of the costs, but i think ive made up for it on craigslist purchases and finding 8020 in a scrap yard.

So roughly i'll be sinking almost $3k over the purchase price to finish it. But all said and done i will have a goose gear type interior, heat, solar, and a fridge (already had), and most importantly i did it.

Zam15

Explorer
I am pretty happy with the route i chose. I wanted the largest sleeping area for a hard roofed camper for the price (queen size). I was originally on the fence on the side doors when i got them, but full love them now that i have modified them. This is camper #3 from Jay, and I am helping with small little nuances that can easily be fixed on upcoming campers. I would like to have mounted the lift struts on the front and rear of the camper, but there wasn't enough real estate on the front to make it work, those struts have been the best modification ive done so far.
I got the camper as a project to finish how i wanted to, pretty much going for a dirt bag four wheel camper approach.

I also am trying to get as much space out of my short bed as possible, if the cab over length could be extended to match the other wedge/four wheel campers that would be great, drifter practically stretches out to the front windscreen. Trying to avoid having the sleeping area interfere with the living area as much as possible, or avoid having to rearrange panels every time. I'd even be ok with side overhang like the four wheel camper to add s a little width.

Currently the campers seem a little rough around the edges but I'm sure as more get built they will keep getting better. If the weight, durability, space and price match up I'd be willing to make the jump. The front and back lift struts seem like the best option. I'd go for the side doors as well.

I already have platform solar, a fridge, heater ready to go in. Just need the shelter! I'll likely reach out to Jay in the coming days to see with the scheduled and build would look like.

crolison

Observer
I also am trying to get as much space out of my short bed as possible, if the cab over length could be extended to match the other wedge/four wheel campers that would be great, drifter practically stretches out to the front windscreen. Trying to avoid having the sleeping area interfere with the living area as much as possible, or avoid having to rearrange panels every time. I'd even be ok with side overhang like the four wheel camper to add s a little width.

Currently the campers seem a little rough around the edges but I'm sure as more get built they will keep getting better. If the weight, durability, space and price match up I'd be willing to make the jump. The front and back lift struts seem like the best option. I'd go for the side doors as well.

I already have platform solar, a fridge, heater ready to go in. Just need the shelter! I'll likely reach out to Jay in the coming days to see with the scheduled and build would look like.

Jay should be able to help with getting the right setup, or talking it though with what is feasible. This one I would say is slightly rough, as it’s number 3. We’ve worked on fixing small little imperfections, and just general camper ideas for the ones coming after mine.

crolison

Observer
Ordered more parts for the camper as my birthday is Wednesday. Have a renogy 160w solar panel coming, and most of the odds and ends to finish the heater install.

Picked up some propane hoses from my favorite local propane store, one with both ends crimped so I can get the propane inside the camper and into a valve so I can shut off gas supply from the inside, and one with only one end as I can get the proper length and take it back to the propane place and get the final end crimped69C7C246-7587-4429-81CC-34782DC8E394.jpeg

Also added a pelican copy from harbor freight to hold all my recovery straps and mounted it to my mini tool box on my rear swingout.

291225A1-59C5-484F-B09F-2837A13F38B8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles