What are the BEST pop-up campers???

tlin

Adventurer
Beefed-up pop-ups intrigue me, seems like a worthy candidate as I continue to dwell about getting a trailer. If anyone knows, based on experience, of reliable and solid pop-ups, please share your thoughts. A few things I'm specifically interested in:
  • doesn't leak
  • fast to deploy and fast to take down
  • sturdy and long-lasting exterior (won't UV-degrade, no cracks, nothing brittle, made to last)
  • strong frame that doesn't need to be completely re-engineered/re-done
  • decent storage when closed, pop-ups might not offer much here
  • lightweight (I don't have a # in mind)
  • sleeps 4+
I could go on but don't want to unintentionally limit inputs. Bigger wheels, beefy axle (perhaps trailing arm/Dexter), and update the interior and these seem like a decent way go. Excited to get some expert opinions on the topic...

I should have mentioned I'm only after something used - retail/new prices aren't my cup-o-tea.

edit 1/29/2019 - as I continue down this path, lifted a-frame trailers have also made my list of candidates (Aliner, Chalet, others?) - hoping some folks with experience there weigh in as well - good thread to date, many thanks to those who've weighed in.....

Last edited:

old_CWO

I don't know about best, but Quicksilver Livin' Lite tent trailers are probably close to what you are describing. Especially the side fold 6' model.

tlin

Adventurer
msg me if you seen my stuff or would like to know more.. I have a build thread going as well

Tremendous stuff - been on Expo for a while, definitely seen your build threads (past and present). Unfortunately more $ than I'm willing to part with but truthfully, if I ever got the urge to splurge you'd be one I'd be in touch with.

tlin

Adventurer
I don't know about best, but Quicksilver Livin' Lite tent trailers are probably close to what you are describing. Especially the side fold 6' model.

Much appreciated - that's a good line to be aware of. thx!

chunko

Observer
I've been keeping an eye on the Fleetwood/Coleman Element line of "off road" pop up campers, especially the Neon and Cobalt. They were (discontinued now) built sturdier and with more ground clearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

inexplorata

We stuck our heads inside one of the Opus inflating campers at the show here a few weeks back, I was pretty impressed with the overall quality. But $$, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about running an inflator every night to fill up the supports. Tons of room though.

Grump E-Vet

@tlin I have not been in the RTT game yet (but I will try anything once) but I find the tent that iKamper X-Cover is bringing out intriguing since you don’t have to deal with a cover and roof crossbars are optional.

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/xcover

Besides that I know Thule just bought Tepui and making sure a manufacturer is going to be around for awhile is something I always consider in the camping space. Just ask any of the Roadtrek or other EHGNA brand Class B camper van owners why that is important!

tlin

Adventurer
@tlin I have not been in the RTT game yet (but I will try anything once) but I find the tent that iKamper X-Cover is bringing out intriguing since you don’t have to deal with a cover and roof crossbars are optional.

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/xcover

Saw that (review here on Expo recently), definitely like it. Playing with the thought of an RTT/trailer combo - possibility for sure!

I've been keeping an eye on the Fleetwood/Coleman Element line of "off road" pop up campers, especially the Neon and Cobalt. They were (discontinued now) built sturdier and with more ground clearance.

Same here - if one popped up (bad pun) locally, I'd snatch it up. I'm not well versed on the models, I know there's a slightly larger one (two slideouts) that would be ideal (sleeping 4+).

We stuck our heads inside one of the Opus inflating campers at the show here a few weeks back, I was pretty impressed with the overall quality. But $$, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about running an inflator every night to fill up the supports. Tons of room though.

I dig it! Where did you see that and how much were they going for? Was there decent interior storage volume while in transit? Thx for sharing that!!

inexplorata

I saw the Opus Offroad here in Denver, like $25k new. I think B&B was the dealer. Seemed like a decent sized pass-through storage bin underneath, clever swing-up rack for on top as well, gets out of the way when you flop out the two sides.

mk4

Observer
Depends on your budget.

All your typical Jayco, Rockwood, Fleetwood, etc.. pop up campers will leak. They're just not built to last. Questionable build quality and design. They're almost all held together with rivets or screws with no holding power.

But with good care they can last a long time.

Fleetwood probably made the best out of the bunch. I say best loosely. Mostly metal construction. Better lift mechanism.

I think most companies still frame their campers in wood.

The only campers I'd remotely consider is the Somersets, Evolutions, mayve the Vtrecs.

More expensive options dedicated off road campers like Patriot and Black Series

CampStewart

Observer

Quicksilver is out of business. Still they have nothing to rot and they will last forever. If ever needed replacement canvas will be available long after all of us are gone. Their production numbers were low but they do show up on craigslist and ebay. I am very surprised that they never caught on with the overlanding crowd. They are very rugged and oosing with potential. I have a 10.0 that i will reluctantly be putting up for sale when the weather and market warms up. If looking at used ones avoid the late 2017 and 2018 models.

tlin

Adventurer
Depends on your budget.
The only campers I'd remotely consider is the Somersets, Evolutions, mayve the Vtrecs.

More expensive options dedicated off road campers like Patriot and Black Series

Thank you for weighing in - I've seen a few E3's online, added to my research list.

Budget - I'm cheap (not broke). By "cheap", I mean I worked long and hard to get where I'm at and won't ever quickly justify parting with tens-of-thousands of dollars for a frame/axle/box/combo of questionable quality and longevity. There are some advantages to getting older, no emotional decisions here and I will want my wife/kids to be with me if a trailer becomes part of our future (despite my using it most of the time for extended camping/hunting trips as well). I'm also a little "old school" in that I like companies who maintain a "build it to last" approach to their products which......is not the norm (one of my favorite audio setups at home is a mid'80s Pioneer/Klipsch 2-channel setup that I've refurbed - it sounds just as good, if not better for music listening, as my gear in my basement theater which I spent 15X more on).

Quicksilver is out of business. Still they have nothing to rot and they will last forever. If ever needed replacement canvas will be available long after all of us are gone. Their production numbers were low but they do show up on craigslist and ebay. I am very surprised that they never caught on with the overlanding crowd. They are very rugged and oosing with potential. I have a 10.0 that i will reluctantly be putting up for sale when the weather and market warms up. If looking at used ones avoid the late 2017 and 2018 models.

Don't hesitate to PM me, wouldn't mind learning more about your 10.0. Ironically, there's an 8.0 close to me on craigslist, might try to look at it this week (checked after reading your post). Thanks for the feedback!

tlin

Adventurer
So no one, yet, has mentioned a-frame trailers (ALiner, Chalets, I'm sure there are others). General browsing, I've stumbled across some interesting ideas here as well. Added to my list of items to think about.....thanks again for the feedback thus far, good stuff :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior