Horton minimod ambulance build thread

eporter

Adventurer
That’s looking good. I think there was a note on mine about that small battery compartment being special order. It’s a little tight in there with all the batteries, charger, inverter, breakers, etc. I always meant to take the vacuum pump out and replace with my small Viair compressor.

Pretty much the same box.
5f7f5f06be7245e09ae7e3bca7700890.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Update for today. The new thermostat housing comes on Monday, so I'm stuck waiting for that. I did put the new Gates serpentine belt on, I am not much of a mechanic, but the belt seems to have a little bit less tension on it than the old belt, Im hoping thats not an issue. I also did an oil change, and swapped the drain plug out for a Fumoto valve, which I have done on my last few vehicles and overall been happy with. I am going to be happy to get this thing lifted so that I have more room to work under it! I pulled about 3/4 of a quart out of the HPOP reservoir and it was about the thickest, most glue-like oil I have pulled out of a vehicle. I am glad to have at least a bit of fresh oil up top there. And here is a picture of the drivers side showing my side compartment situation as well!

View attachment 495668

View attachment 495669

View attachment 495670

I also pumped out the HPOP reservoir... pretty nasty schmag. I feel it's worth getting as much of the thick gooey oil out of there as possible.

I also pumped out the HPOP reservoir... pretty nasty schmag. I feel it's worth getting as much of the thick gooey oil out of there as possible.
Realized I was a little premature with that oil change because I am going to have to pull that oil right back out when I replace the HPOP, oh well, live and learn!

That’s looking good. I think there was a note on mine about that small battery compartment being special order. It’s a little tight in there with all the batteries, charger, inverter, breakers, etc. I always meant to take the vacuum pump out and replace with my small Viair compressor.

Pretty much the same box.
5f7f5f06be7245e09ae7e3bca7700890.jpg
It was very tight in there! I ditched the 20 year old inverter and will put a newer one in if I decide I need an inverter at all. Removing that and the vacuum pump freed up a good amount of space

Last edited:
Worked on the van today. I pulled the turbo, fuel bowl, and HPOP, and got the new HPOP installed. Decided to leave the HPOP reservoir off because I was running out of light, and wanted all the access I could get for when I replace the HPOP lines, and the fuel lines tomorrow. The old HPOP seemed to be leaking from just about everywhere it could be. And yes, I know my valley is dirty, but its much better then it was!

uNPU%3iSTpGtD0gExwO7Jg.jpg

LqP6vA8VQvGLu7iMLk1fkw.jpg

looking good! why are you replacing the hpop?

The truck was pretty low on power, the pressure the pump was putting out under load was really low. It was also leaking from just about every place it could have been. The low pressure would indicate the pump is starting to go, so rather then replacing all the o rings in the old HPOP I decided just to replace it.

Here are some pictures, I have not found a large enough piece of diamond plate to do the rear area yet, but it will be tapered down to the existing metal so that the frame rails remain covered. The Fender area will also be getting black rubber fender flare material, I just haven't gotten around to that yet!

AGcxDkbZROyGWpHIIL%qGA.jpg

IMG_1280.JPG

tRL17L2+QrmWJhhgxkaGNQ.jpg

Update on the truck. I wrapped up some work today, all in all I replaced everything listed below:

Water Pump
Thermostat
CPS
HPOP
IPR
HPOP Lines
Rebuilt the Fuel Bowl
New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Filter
EBPV Delete with legit pedestal and turbo outlet

(I did so much at once I am still a little concerned about troubleshooting if something isn't right)

In addition I replaced my stock turbo compressor wheel with a billet unit from Riffraff. The truck fired right back up after doing all that work and is idling great, but after running for a few minutes I noticed that my oil cooler had leaked oil. It seemed to stop once everything warmed up a little, but I will need to remove and replace the orings and gasket. I am kind of bummed because it means draining the coolant again, as well as draining the oil, both of which are brand new. Hoping that I will get to a point where I can enjoy this thing without constant fluid leaks!

g5pjw9vfRpCF4dt6ipTQCA.jpg

Look how chewed up the stock compressor wheel is, yikes right??

Sooo.... How hard was it to swap out that HPOP? I wanna do mine soon.

It was not too bad, Just time consuming. I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, and I wouldn’t say it was difficult, it just took time. I probably spent 8 hours on the project spread over 4 days. I have no doubt that someone more capabale could do it in half that time or less, but for me, removing the turbo, the air intake/ resonator box, the fuel bowl, and the HPOP took a while. Cleaning the fuel bowl and turbo up, and then reinstalling all the components went fairly quick.

CaptainBuilt

It was not too bad, Just time consuming. I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, and I wouldn’t say it was difficult, it just took time. I probably spent 8 hours on the project spread over 4 days. I have no doubt that someone more capabale could do it in half that time or less, but for me, removing the turbo, the air intake/ resonator box, the fuel bowl, and the HPOP took a while. Cleaning the fuel bowl and turbo up, and then reinstalling all the components went fairly quick.

Awesome. Thanks. You did it from the inside of the van? Not from the front? I looked it it and it seems impossible from the front. I need to rebuild mine, it's leaking. How is the adrenaline pump? Any improvements with it?

Awesome. Thanks. You did it from the inside of the van? Not from the front? I looked it it and it seems impossible from the front. I need to rebuild mine, it's leaking. How is the adrenaline pump? Any improvements with it?

Yes, most of the work was done from inside the van, I removed the passenger seat for easier access. I think that it would be just about impossible to do this job from the front of the van. And I haven't had the chance to drive the van with the adrenaline pump yet (I don't have tail lights currently), so I can't speak to that! I am hoping it will be good though, everything I have read points to it being a little performance boost even with stock injectors.

Yes, most of the work was done from inside the van, I removed the passenger seat for easier access. I think that it would be just about impossible to do this job from the front of the van. And I haven't had the chance to drive the van with the adrenaline pump yet (I don't have tail lights currently), so I can't speak to that! I am hoping it will be good though, everything I have read points to it being a little performance boost even with stock injectors.

Oh, also, I have a google drive folder with step by step instructions for every job I have done so far (removal/ install instructions for the HPOP, Water Pump, CPS, Fuel Bowl, Turbo, etc.) that I printed out and had in plastic sleeves in a binder when I was doing the work. It was really handy to have step by step instructions, which pictures and torque specs ready to go. I would be happy to share that folder with you if you shoot me a private message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles