Budget, but brand new, Fullsize expo rig ideas.

Grump E-Vet

@Highlander one thing to consider is out of the Big 3 and Toyota, newer Fords gassers are probably the most difficult to work on especially for any powertrain, suspension or god forbid anything to do with the PCM or wiring harness. Basically Ford has started to use more and more proprietary tools, obviously not a total dealbreaker but something to keep in mind. I like watching Deboss garage and he goes on a kind of lengthy explanation but it is a good “view from the ground” perspective.

jgallo1

Adventurer
there a quite a few gently used power wagons out there, I have been on the hunt. If you really interested, I can pass along a few links.
For me the PW or a tradesmen with the PW package (my preferred option) seems like the way to go. For low to mid 30's you can get into one that has been barely used, and it has everything you need. Throw on some sliders and 35's and you can go any where.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
3 questions for ford HD guys

1) If one decides to go with an F250 gas, what is best trim? xt. xlt or sxt?
2) Crew Cab or Extended Cab?
3) Sprayed bed vs non-sprayed clean bed?

ok one more, is it worth to wait for the newer gas 7.0(?) mated with the 10 speed?

1. Xl. Xl power power package, Fx4. The xlt and sxt are also fine. Just avoid the upper trims, adaptive steering, moonroofs, and such. I prefer the halogen lights as well. But the xlt has carpet usually. And the sxt lacks the center jumpseat that folds down into a giant arm rest.

2. Crewcab all the way. I expect Ford to drop the extended cab soon.

3. Non sprayed in. Take your tuck to Rhino liner or Line X. DO NOT REMOVE THE BED BOLTS, SPRAY OVER THEM.

Trans doesn't matter. The 6r100 is very nice. 10 speeds might be too many. Hopefully the 10 will be as good. Godzilla is a 7.3l, based on my sources. Maybe ther will be a 7.0l something else.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
1. Xl. Xl power power package, Fx4. The xlt and sxt are also fine. Just avoid the upper trims, adaptive steering, moonroofs, and such. I prefer the halogen lights as well. But the xlt has carpet usually. And the sxt lacks the center jumpseat that folds down into a giant arm rest.

2. Crewcab all the way. I expect Ford to drop the extended cab soon.

3. Non sprayed in. Take your tuck to Rhino liner or Line X. DO NOT REMOVE THE BED BOLTS, SPRAY OVER THEM.

Trans doesn't matter. The 6r100 is very nice. 10 speeds might be too many. Hopefully the 10 will be as good. Godzilla is a 7.3l, based on my sources. Maybe ther will be a 7.0l something else.
Did I see they’re going back to a cam in block pushrod engine? Good if so.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
@Highlander one thing to consider is out of the Big 3 and Toyota, newer Fords gassers are probably the most difficult to work on especially for any powertrain, suspension or god forbid anything to do with the PCM or wiring harness. Basically Ford has started to use more and more proprietary tools, obviously not a total dealbreaker but something to keep in mind. I like watching Deboss garage and he goes on a kind of lengthy explanation but it is a good “view from the ground” perspective.

Note that guys age and his preference for old square body trucks.

We have a ton of heavy truck and ag guys as well. Same issues. Obsolete techs, are obsolete. It sucks getting old, and having to learn new equipment, without proper training or materials.

Yeah, Godzilla should be a pushrod truck engine. Hard to tell from pics, just yet.

D

Deleted member 9101

Actually they are pretty easy to work on in my experience. The problem is many mechanic's don't understand how they work. Trying to explain Forscan to my step brother who is a heavy equipment mechanic was like explaining radiochemestry to puppy.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Forescan does kinda suck to get going.

Get adapter. Download the wrong drivers 87 times. Sign up to forscin forums, wait until they grace your presence with the forscin unlock code. Open the software so it can unlock its self.

If using a wired connector, the chinese switch will be labeled backwards, because f you, that's why.

Read this before plugging into your truck
https://ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf

Grump E-Vet

Get adapter. Download the wrong drivers 87 times. Sign up to forscin forums, wait until they grace your presence with the forscin unlock code. Open the software so it can unlock its self.

If using a wired connector, the chinese switch will be labeled backwards, because f you, that's why.

Could be worse than plugging in for updates looking at all the problems Tesla is having with doin all of theirs OTA, which is kind of a must since they don’t have a dealer service network.

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/26219/...es-could-become-global-nightmare?iid=sr-link1

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Thanks guys for the answer. I have very limited knowledge of the HD trucks.
I like where the conversation is heading.
Let’s keeps the conversation and suggestions coming.

Another question,
How comfortable is the 2017 f250 for long distance driving? Including driving on dirt roads?
I understand it’s not Volvo, but would like to hear an opinion?
Not just f250, what about other HD trucks?

cycleman4

Adventure seeker
3 questions for ford HD guys

1) If one decides to go with an F250 gas, what is best trim? xt. xlt or sxt?
2) Crew Cab or Extended Cab?
3) Sprayed bed vs non-sprayed clean bed?

ok one more, is it worth to wait for the newer gas 7.0(?) mated with the 10 speed?
Lariat, Crew, bed liner, bed rack with tent, KO2's, and have fun.

Attachments

• KrwOqeJcTYaU2nfBYbTgDQ.jpg
    KrwOqeJcTYaU2nfBYbTgDQ.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 68

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Forescan does kinda suck to get going.

Did it once to change a few things on my truck, decided not to play with fire ever again. I am the person that cannot do an excel spreadsheet so I have no business jacking with forscan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier