tablet/ipad for navigation

Airmapper

Inactive Member
The problem with 10" tablets is the big screen. Hitting your hand on stuff when shifting is irritating. I'm already pushing the limit as to how much encroachment the navigator is willing to tolerate...

Running into a similar issue. The size and weight of my 10" tablet makes it difficult to accommodate, have yet to find a way to mount it where I'm happy with it, and nav is what I bought it for. Thinking of buying an 8" now, but having 2 tablets seems a bit excessive.

My old iPad mini was the perfect size, I switched because I wanted Android, I should have just stuck to the size I knew worked instead of wanting even more screen. Perhaps I'll give the mount another look.

MOguy

Explorer
I used larger tablet maybe twice and like other found that space and mounting were an issue. I suppose it depends on your vehicle but for me a tablet is just too big.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I bought a cheap Lenovo 10" tablet and it works very well. We pretty much use it for navigating and that's it. (Though I have used it to d/l Netflix movies on as well)
I run Backcountry Navigator on it, and have HERE offline road maps on it for a back-up to my Garmin street gps if need be. I think the RAM mount cost more than the tablet if I recall correctly.

Tablet mount.jpg

Attachments

• Tablet mount.jpg
    Tablet mount.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 23

Wallygator

Adventurer
nope, I even wear reading glasses when print gets too small. A large screen is always nicer but space is limited in a Wrangler. You can also get phone that work just fine for cheap.

So I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, with that said, you are saying all I would need is a cheap phone? Then download something like Maps.me onto it? You don't need cell service to load the maps onto it and the phone will work like a normal gps off line??? This seems too good to be true but I'm on my way to Walmart if this works.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
So I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, with that said, you are saying all I would need is a cheap phone? Then download something like Maps.me onto it? You don't need cell service to load the maps onto it and the phone will work like a normal gps off line??? This seems too good to be true but I'm on my to Walmart if this works.

Yes, Just make sure the phone has GPS cabalities and you have access to WiFi to download your maps. You probably know somebody who has upgraded their phone recently and the old one is just laying around collecting dust. You could go to Walmart, spend about 50 bucks and get one for a prepaid plan, just make sure it has GPS. You don't have to buy the plant to make it work.

If you're using it only for mapping 16meg is a lot of memory. If you need more get another phone and have two different phones for different areas or different types of mapping. I have been doing this for years.

It is no different than using a tablet that does not have cell service.

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
Yes, Just make sure the phone has GPS cabalities and you have access to WiFi to download your maps. You probably know somebody who has upgraded their phone recently and the old one is just laying around collecting dust. You could go to Walmart, spend about 50 bucks and get one for a prepaid plan, just make sure it has GPS. You don't have to buy the plant to make it work.

If you're using it only for mapping 16meg is a lot of memory. If you need more get another phone and have two different phones for different areas or different types of mapping. I have been doing this for years.

That is great, thank you!

plh

Explorer
I can't quite recall now. I've had it for 3-odd years. I think it was the A10 tablet. Cost me about $200.

OK, probably similar as the one I have (Tab2 A10) , am looking for a refresh. Was wondering if it was a Tab 4 perhaps and how fast it is. The Tab 2 seams to be slowing down a lot.

I find that most tablets after a year of solid use need a factory reset to be done on them. Not hard to do but will erase everything you have stored and will be just like it came out of the box. Over time Android does add files as app updates are applied and sometimes the old data files remain wasting space. BE WARNED anything you have stored on tablet will be lost. You can backup to Google before reset. All apps downloaded and installed also OS updates will have to be done after reset.

Wallygator

Adventurer

Thanks again! Picked up a Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit for $49 at Wallyworld with no plan. So far it's been working great with maps.me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles