Interesting midsize truck comparison / test

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Never have towed with a FWD vehicle. Would like to try and see what it is like, just out of curosity. My Taco is rated at 5000lbs, towed nearly 4000lbs with it a couple times (yard of gravel plus trailer)...not fun. At least it was only a few miles from the Tractor Supply. In all realty probably get it delivered next time.
I hadn't previously either. And maybe there was a different reason than it just being a FWD unibody. But comparing the way it towed to the Explorer I towed with before, it was way worse. White knuckling it on the highway is not a fun relaxing way to start a trip.

Thought the Jeep would have been a nice fuel efficient DD for the wife and tow vehicle for the weekends. But, nope.

Clutch

<---Pass
I hadn't previously either. And maybe there was a different reason than it just being a FWD unibody. But comparing the way it towed to the Explorer I towed with before, it was way worse. White knuckling it on the highway is not a fun relaxing way to start a trip.

Thought the Jeep would have been a nice fuel efficient DD for the wife and tow vehicle for the weekends. But, nope.

Never hear my friends that tow with the VW or Subies complain...quite the opposite really. They love those things and laugh at us guys who insist we need a truck. Though they are towing with a lightweight aluminum 3-rail trailer and a couple bikes. Maybe 700-800 lbs.

One of them takes his Forester into some stupid stuff....amazing little car. I still keep on kicking around the idea and getting one myself. And keep the Taco, for when I want to really get off the beaten path, but it never fails...I'll get way back in, thinking I am Mr Tough guy to myself...and there sits a Suby.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Never hear my friends that tow with the VW or Subies complain...quite the opposite really. They love those things and laugh at us guys who insist we need a truck. Though they are towing with a lightweight aluminum 3-rail trailer and a couple bikes. Maybe 700-800 lbs.
Yes, probably a different story if they hooked up 4,000 lbs to one?
I really like the older Foressters and Oubacks.. The ones that stil looked like station wagons, lol

I rotated driving one of each through a bad snowy winter a number of years back. They were both 5 speeds so the power distribution was 50/50 front rear. They were amazing in th snow. I believe they were both 2003 models?

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes, probably a different story if they hooked up 4,000 lbs to one?
I really like the older Foressters and Oubacks.. The ones that stil looked like station wagons, lol

I rotated driving one of each through a bad snowy winter a number of years back. They were both 5 speeds so the power distribution was 50/50 front rear. They were amazing in th snow. I believe they were both 2003 models?

No XC skiing for me today....it is kinda grey and overcast out there... want blue bird skies...being spoiled!

Anyways...yeah I don't know how the European models are specced that high as we were discussing else-where, it has to be miserable to tow with.

Like the older ones too, that is what my riding buds have...they are all cheap bastards like myself. :D

Always wanted a VW Golf Syncro Country. Think sky high lifted diesel sexual trucks are ridiculous, yet like this silly thing. I am weird, I know!

https://jalopnik.com/for-12-500-would-this-1990-vw-golf-country-syncro-jac-1794380333

country-fotd-3.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
No XC skiing for me today....it is kinda grey and overcast out there... want blue bird skies...being spoiled!

Anyways...yeah I don't know how the European models are specced that high as we were discussing else-where, it has to be miserable to tow with.

Like the older ones too, that is what my riding buds have...they are all cheap bastards like myself. :D

Always wanted a VW Golf Syncro Country. Think sky high lifted diesel sexual trucks are ridiculous, yet like this silly thing. I am weird, I know!

https://jalopnik.com/for-12-500-would-this-1990-vw-golf-country-syncro-jac-1794380333

country-fotd-3.jpg
Is that a f150 with the new mustang camper shell??

rruff

Explorer
Of topic, but speaking of Space framed campers, are you thinking Buckminster Fuller geodesic or something more like an Iveco Daily...aren't those 4 cylinder, looks like you could fit 37's...I like the kind dopey grinning face on the Iveco's....no big grill needed here. Plenty tough underneath tho'.

I am intrigued.

Iveco-Daily-Expeditionsfahrzeug.jpg

I like those Ivecos, but what I was thinking is more like an offroad dune buggy frame, only a van size and enclosed with FG and foam. Unibody. Honestly a steel spaceframe is probably not necessary for anything but crash protection (composites shatter while steel bends) and I don't really care about that. Could accomplish good enough protection with a steel bumper and grill guard, and a couple roll bars. Make nearly the whole thing out of FG and foam. Unibody can get you much closer to the ground (in the cab and camper area), than body on frame vehicles. With appropriate gearing, 37s are so good for rolling over stuff offroad.

I like the idea of a hybrid drivetrain, where the electric powers one pair of wheels and gas does the other. If I wanted to be more practical though (ie something I could actually build) the engine and drivetrain from an old 4wd Toyota 2.4l would probably be a good place to start.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like those Ivecos, but what I was thinking is more like an offroad dune buggy frame, only a van size and enclosed with FG and foam. Unibody. Honestly a steel spaceframe is probably not necessary for anything but crash protection (composites shatter while steel bends) and I don't really care about that. Could accomplish good enough protection with a steel bumper and grill guard, and a couple roll bars. Make nearly the whole thing out of FG and foam. Unibody can get you much closer to the ground (in the cab and camper area), than body on frame vehicles. With appropriate gearing, 37s are so good for rolling over stuff offroad.

I like the idea of a hybrid drivetrain, where the electric powers one pair of wheels and gas does the other. If I wanted to be more practical though (ie something I could actually build) the engine and drivetrain from an old 4wd Toyota 2.4l would probably be a good place to start.

Thanks.

I was trying to envision a space frame camper, would of it been like... traditional frame but made out of triangulated tube, with FG/foam panels on top...like total composite do for their box bodies. My first thought was that it would look like a Merc 814 body-wise, but tube frame underneath.

Like this:

imageproxy.php

Or was it going to be a fully caged vehicle like this, but only bigger, with panels attached to the cage.

It is the chassis of the Rally Bus T3 I posted earlier.

http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/DEUTSCH/html/rallyebus.html

Hybrid drive train is interesting as well, much like how the Rav4 is. Gas drives the front, electric motors for the rear.

Rohrgestell_lackiert.jpg

Last edited:

Grump E-Vet

I have heard that the Jeep Cherokees built after 2014 are better for towing especially the higher trim levels. But I am the same boat with this I really want to get my wife out of the Pacifica she has because I just hate FWD, but she loves that thing. We have agreed when the 3rd Row Jeep GC or Wagoneer\Grand Wagoneer come out in the next year or so we will be getting rid of it for one of those three since she hates how the current Dodge Durango looks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I don't know.... They are good for what they are intended for. Most families that are driving CUV's because vans aren't cool could probably save a pile of dough on purchase price and fuel at the pumps by driving a minivan instead. When I moved a few years ago I stole a stow 'n go Grand Caravan from work and was amazed at how much crap I fit in that van.

Besides.. maybe they'd make fun sleepers...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a26131407/pontiac-montana-sv6-ls-swap/

maxresdefault-18-1549303924.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090502_watch-this-1029-hp-honda-odyssey-minivan-roast-its-tires

1470948409-bisimoto-odyssey.png

Or maybe throw a Sienna on a Tacoma frame...........
toyota-ultimate-utility-vehicle-2015sema-007.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have heard that the Jeep Cherokees built after 2014 are better for towing especially the higher trim levels. But I am the same boat with this I really want to get my wife out of the Pacifica she has because I just hate FWD, but she loves that thing. We have agreed when the 3rd Row Jeep GC or Wagoneer\Grand Wagoneer come out in the next year or so we will be getting rid of it for one of those three since she hates how the current Dodge Durango looks.
I don't mind the FWD for DD'ing. The Jeep was great in the snow. Actually FWD is better for the winters here. But, not for towing. I'll stick with BOF RWD platform for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles