Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Wow I wish it was only -6. We were camped West of Nordegg Alberta this past weekend. Our truck isn't ready so we had our old beat up holiday trailer out it has a wood stove in it. Saturday morning it was -36 and sunday it was -34. I start my truck through the night every few hours when I stoke the stove. I did a 2.5 hour hike Saturday when the sun came out hunting for rabbits. When I get my 550 done we plan to take a small inverter generator with us on these types of outings to be able to plug in the powerstroke. On the bright side we it isn't very busy out.
AWESOME! I need to come do some ice soon.

Do you have issues starting your truck? I know - 6 vs - 36 is worlds apart, but plugging my truck in has been the last of my thoughts.... Last time it was 3 ish and we had been sitting for 4 days and it started right up, usually I don't even bother waiting for the glow plug light (I forget.... DD is gas).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fatboyz

Observer
The powerstrokes are known to be pretty warm blooded. After about -15 mine should be plugged in. I'm hoping my solar set up and 2000 watt inverter will work too. plugged in for 2 hours makes a huge difference. At -36 I don't think she'd go without being plugged in. Around here it's not uncommon to see diesels idling all night when its in that -35 to -40 plus range.

java

Expedition Leader
The powerstrokes are known to be pretty warm blooded. After about -15 mine should be plugged in. I'm hoping my solar set up and 2000 watt inverter will work too. plugged in for 2 hours makes a huge difference. At -36 I don't think she'd go without being plugged in. Around here it's not uncommon to see diesels idling all night when its in that -35 to -40 plus range.
Yeah I have seen it common in North AK and whatnot, just haven't had an issue :knocks wood:.....

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Even my gasser didn't want to start when it was -30f a couple weeks ago. Last time I tried a diesel at those temps the fuel was gelling? crazy.

java

Expedition Leader
Even my gasser didn't want to start when it was -30f a couple weeks ago. Last time I tried a diesel at those temps the fuel was gelling? crazy.
Yeah I am pretty religious about anti gel....

java

Expedition Leader
Today's project, rear tow points. These will bolt directly to the frame rails, giving me great tow points in the rear, something I am missing.

Started with a 3' piece of 1x6 steel.

Cold saw is awesome.
33220265778_4524a94f3b_b.jpg

Layout. Pretty simple.
46181748445_a3328bfdf9_b.jpg

Big hole cutter, just picked this up, needed 1.5" hole and was not confident that a hole saw would work. Run it at the right rpm and this this is awesome! More or less a mini annular cutter that fits a drill press.
47043190452_1f93e8ba82_b.jpg

47043188832_eb68a22547_b.jpg

Drill the frame side holes, I under sized them so they can be reamed to final size in place, that way there is no slop on the bolts between the frame and the tow points. Trim the corners off.
46371812964_65996601ff_b.jpg

After a little grinder and file time they are good to go. I wish I had a mill so I could round the edges for soft shackles, but such is life. No I am not grinding all the mill scale off! :D
46181744705_7c8d2c19c0_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
You don't have a trailer hitch on that thing?

I do, but its built into the bumper, and cantilevered down below the frame ~16-18". I didn't feel very comfortable using that if I got "really" stuck and needed a good tug. The side plates for the hitch are just 1/4" plate.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I need to add rear tow points to my rig also.

What kind of blade and hole saw are you using to cut that heavy steel? I will probably need to get those also.

java

Expedition Leader
I need to add rear tow points to my rig also.

What kind of blade and hole saw are you using to cut that heavy steel? I will probably need to get those also.
Carbide cold cut blade for the chop saw. It's a Makita. Works amazing if you don't force it! The hole saw was one I got at Tacoma screw. Worked great.
fbd3ba43e17a295b8c40e8017a1f5265.jpg

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
yeah the video on IG is pretty amazing how easy it went through it! I've been going through cut off wheels on my rig...probably went through about 25 so far but they work. sawzall and i got a handheld metal circular saw too but wouldn't want to use any of them on 1" thick. you can probably tow the earth off its axis if you need to with those mounts :D

java

Expedition Leader
yeah the video on IG is pretty amazing how easy it went through it! I've been going through cut off wheels on my rig...probably went through about 25 so far but they work. sawzall and i got a handheld metal circular saw too but wouldn't want to use any of them on 1" thick. you can probably tow the earth off its axis if you need to with those mounts :D
Yeah worked great!

The Milwaukee torch sawzall blades are awesome too, but grinder works for so much. Buying good wheels makes a difference.

That's the idea with the mounts! I may have gone a bit overkill..... But better than too light. The mounts are probably pushing 20 lbs each!

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
no way - if you need to get out of trouble (or get someone else out) the last thing you want is one breaking loose .... we all know the power of things flying around when a cable breaks etc. good idea to make sure they're fully capable - now you just need to borrow a crane and see if you can lift the truck by the mount :D

i put a hitch on my kodiak (iirc 15k lb) but when i saw what you're doing realized maybe I shouldn't have cut the steel u-channel that use to support the step bumper (welded to the frame). I think I could've used those for some solid recover points in addition to/instead of the hitch, but oh well too late for that now. that's the problem with these forums you get good ideas...but sometimes too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne