Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

chasespeed

Explorer
For what its worth, I'm eyeballing the RCI in aluminum for my Taco. Im not hammering on it as hard as my jeep, thus, dont want/need the steel. Plus corrosion resistance. Want minimal streetabilty impact.

Funny, as far as containers for road trip storage, I have actually been looking at a rear opening pod... more for the drives from Mass to Corpus.. Dont really have enough interior space for 3 kids and 2 dogs... but...

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Wallygator

Adventurer
I have the aluminum RCI plates on my 4. They are worth the money. I wasn't going to ever extreme rock crawl, just need good protection, and with lots of other mods throughout the years to come, weight was definitely a consideration so that is why i chose aluminum.

TexasIsHome

We have a 4R as well, I have been looking primarily at RCI. We just put a set on my buddy's 17 Tundra and they are a solid product. We got in on a groupbuy on TacoWorld I think.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
RCI and Hefty are at the top of my list. I have the Hefty sliders and I really like his products, but his skid plates just hit the market a few weeks back so there isn't much in the way of feedback on them yet.

We also just picked up a nasty crack in the windshield this past week and I am waiting on that to spread across my line of sight and then I plan to have the windshield replaced. Once that is done I can move forward with installing the BD S8 40" bar on the rack and wiring everything in with the SP-9100. Batteries, compressor, and fridge/freezer install to come after that.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Looking at putting in the Goose-Gear low sleeping platform, does anyone have any experience with this product?

KTempleton

Observer
I'm in the Houston area (Humble / Atascocitia) and have been wanting to do a Matagorda run. I've got the fishing bug after not doing any more many years. Been bombing down to Galveston here and there but it's meh. Typically make a few runs a year to North Padre and Mustang Island area. It's been years since I've been to Matagorda. 10 at the minimum. Would like to do a camping fishing run before it heats up but I know it can turn into a sloppy mess from what I see on the local off road recovery page. There was a good write up on here a while back but didn't give much detail. Nice rig and nice pics

KTempleton

Observer
Well with the quickly arriving departure of the PW it looks like I can remain focused on building out the 4Runner now without distraction. I am not sure what should come next, but I am leaning towards some storage containers for the roof rack (need the interior space when traveling for the 200lbs of dogs in tow) and a Switch Pros and battery upgrade so that we can get the 40" BD S8 on the rack and the fridge/freezer out back when needed.

We picked up a crack in the windshield this past weekend on our trip to Austin so I will need to get that replaced before I bother with wiring the light bar. Any thoughts on skid plates? Looking at RCI, CBI, and Hefty Fab.

I've been eye balling the ARB skids. CHEAP compared to others. Not as thick, but being it's a family rig and my rock climbing days are for the most part behind me, I think they are super serviceable for out adventures. Plus with bumpers and stuff in the future, i don't want to bog that 4.0 down too much

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If you know where the marsh is in the back lakes and to stay out of it then there's little risk of getting bogged down. The gulf side can get soft/fluffy in areas but it's nothing to be concerned about if you run proper pressures in your tires. I have been out there on days where it's slow going through the fluff for miles at a time and I've also made it from Matagorda to Sargent and back (42 miles) in a little over an hour. The tide and winds play a big factor in the beach conditions. I always see people fishing, usually more near the 3 mile cut and down towards Sargent than anywhere else outside of right at the pier at the Jetties. I live nearby so let me know if you ever plan to come down, if I am around I will be more than happy to join you for a day or possibly an over nighter.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I finally got the windshield replaced and the Goose-Gear low sleeping platform system has been ordered, fingers crossed it gets here early and I can get it installed before our Big Bend trip next month, but I am not holding my breath haha.

I am still looking at skid plates, I haven't really narrowed it down just yet but I am leaning towards RCI. I think I am going to forget about the CBI front bumper, their customer service, unreliable lead times, and signs of slipping QC have me reconsidering my decision to give them my money. If I forgo the full replacement bumper I will most likely go with one of the SSO Slimline II bumpers and keep it simple. I like the angled radius cuts to the fenders/front fascia that most do with the Slimline and they are free to do, but I worry about the plastic being unsupported and flexing/flapping in the wind and while driving.

Wallygator

Adventurer
You won't regret the aluminum RCI skids, mine have been solid. Also check out C4Fabs slimline offering. The only con (or pro) is that you have to get it powder coated or paint it.

https://www.c4fabrication.com/product/2014-4runner-lo-pro-winch-bumper/

For a full bumper I really like the Shrockworks due to no cutting needed (then can be removed if selling the vehicle) and has a skid plate for the washer bottle so it doesn't have to be relocated like some others.

https://www.shrockworks.com/2010-2016-4Runner-Front-Bumper-5th-Generation-pr-16259.html

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
I finally got the windshield replaced and the Goose-Gear low sleeping platform system has been ordered, fingers crossed it gets here early and I can get it installed before our Big Bend trip next month, but I am not holding my breath haha.

I am still looking at skid plates, I haven't really narrowed it down just yet but I am leaning towards RCI. I think I am going to forget about the CBI front bumper, their customer service, unreliable lead times, and signs of slipping QC have me reconsidering my decision to give them my money. If I forgo the full replacement bumper I will most likely go with one of the SSO Slimline II bumpers and keep it simple. I like the angled radius cuts to the fenders/front fascia that most do with the Slimline and they are free to do, but I worry about the plastic being unsupported and flexing/flapping in the wind and while driving.

I have a C4 Lo-Pro bumper and haven't noticed any flexing/flapping with the plastic bumper cover. The only thing that came loose was the fender liner which was fixed with zip ties. I've had it on for about 10 months and haven't had any other issues during off-road and daily driving use.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You won't regret the aluminum RCI skids, mine have been solid. Also check out C4Fabs slimline offering. The only con (or pro) is that you have to get it powder coated or paint it.

https://www.c4fabrication.com/product/2014-4runner-lo-pro-winch-bumper/

For a full bumper I really like the Shrockworks due to no cutting needed (then can be removed if selling the vehicle) and has a skid plate for the washer bottle so it doesn't have to be relocated like some others.

https://www.shrockworks.com/2010-2016-4Runner-Front-Bumper-5th-Generation-pr-16259.html

RCI surely seems popular and well liked, I think it's hard to go wrong with their skids. There are a few other newer options to the market that I'd like to vet as well, but I'd also like to see if any of them happen to have any ready to ship and if they do that might help make my decision for me as it would allow me to get them on in time for the next trip.

I like Shrockworks, they are local to me and I ran some of their stuff years back on another vehicle. I have even considered their rear bumper for its simplicity. I agree that one of the major perks of their front bumper is being able to reverse the install due to the lack of cutting, but I just can't get with the looks of it, the sharp lines and edges just don't seem to flow with the factory front end, of course this is just my personal opinion.

I have a C4 Lo-Pro bumper and haven't noticed any flexing/flapping with the plastic bumper cover. The only thing that came loose was the fender liner which was fixed with zip ties. I've had it on for about 10 months and haven't had any other issues during off-road and daily driving use.

Are zip ties the preferred/recommended way to reattach the fender liners? It's good to hear that you're happy with it nearly a year later. I'd prefer to run a full replacement bumper as the probability of animal strikes down here in rural south Texas is high. Between white tail deer and hogs/pigs, it's a numbers game and just a matter of time before that possibility becomes a reality. That said, I am simply not really into many of the available designs aside from the CBI offerings. These 1st world problems lol.

sn_85

Observer
RCI surely seems popular and well liked, I think it's hard to go wrong with their skids. There are a few other newer options to the market that I'd like to vet as well, but I'd also like to see if any of them happen to have any ready to ship and if they do that might help make my decision for me as it would allow me to get them on in time for the next trip.

I like Shrockworks, they are local to me and I ran some of their stuff years back on another vehicle. I have even considered their rear bumper for its simplicity. I agree that one of the major perks of their front bumper is being able to reverse the install due to the lack of cutting, but I just can't get with the looks of it, the sharp lines and edges just don't seem to flow with the factory front end, of course this is just my personal opinion.

Are zip ties the preferred/recommended way to reattach the fender liners? It's good to hear that you're happy with it nearly a year later. I'd prefer to run a full replacement bumper as the probability of animal strikes down here in rural south Texas is high. Between white tail deer and hogs/pigs, it's a numbers game and just a matter of time before that possibility becomes a reality. That said, I am simply not really into many of the available designs aside from the CBI offerings. These 1st world problems lol.

Not necessarily. The Toyota factory black clips fell off when I was going at highway speeds. Happened to both sides actually. Heard loud flapping noises on the highway. The zip ties have actually been much stronger than the black fender liner clips and haven't had any issues since.

I have the RCI aluminum skids. They've worked well. I went with aluminum for the weight savings and wanted some extra underbelly protection. I'm not a rock crawler although I've bashed them good enough that a few of my weldnuts have broken off. I highly recommend them and they are doing a Tax Refund 15% off sale right now. There's a couple of other Al+ options out there as well. I would recommend the RCI ones for cost and weight savings. The Victory 4x4 ones look really beefy and provide more coverage but the install seems a lot more involved.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have the RCI aluminum skids. They've worked well. I went with aluminum for the weight savings and wanted some extra underbelly protection. I'm not a rock crawler although I've bashed them good enough that a few of my weldnuts have broken off. I highly recommend them and they are doing a Tax Refund 15% off sale right now. There's a couple of other Al+ options out there as well. I would recommend the RCI ones for cost and weight savings. The Victory 4x4 ones look really beefy and provide more coverage but the install seems a lot more involved.

My weight saving side says to go with aluminum because the 4Runner is so easily effected by additional weight, but my sensible side says steel because it's cheaper and they slide better. That said, living near the coast and frequenting the beach quite often has me second guessing steel haha. I had Bud Built steel sliders on the 2015 and they were burly but boy were they heavy.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We got out and hit the beach this morning to take advantage of the nice weather.

EsHcb3F.jpg

6D3lLzH.jpg

nkT6Kbt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94