Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Love that Jeep. The only thing I'd change are the hubcaps. I think that poverty caps / dog dish would look better.

View attachment 503689

Either works for me.

There is one sitting around the corner from work that looks just like this one.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Either works for me.

There is one sitting around the corner from work that looks just like this one.

View attachment 503691
Haha! I'm constantly poking in that thread to see what's new. Love that truck. That's right in line with the type of classic I'd want. Something that our whole family could enjoy. Love that that truck is being used like it was meant to be.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, there's the answer to your what truck to get riddle. What are you waiting for? lol

View attachment 503697

Pay off the house before I throw money at anything else. Want to be 100% debt free in 3 years. At the end of the day, what I have now does the same job as one of those, just doesn't have the cool factor. As long as I can get into the backcountry to view pretty vistas, I am happy. Doesn't really matter what the means are. ;)

Fortunate to live in a place to have most of it not too-too far away.

18009992_10155311524104630_7100665978151400317_n.jpg

19399504_10155489581759630_7420960577216566594_n.jpg

21761958_10155775664844630_7902482852577698450_n.jpg

21685971_10155775664769630_5464120817891531727_n.jpg

Find the Wildernest camper, below. :D

31229235_10156370518714630_547753854193467437_n.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Colorado's boxed frame, and inherently higher payload and towing, certainly has its appeal.

I'm just not so sure about some of the chassis and driveline components attached to the frame. The Tacoma's components do look a bit beefier by comparison, but maybe I'm being too biased. The Colorado's v6 gasoline isn't anything special IMHO, and I've heard more than few owners complain that it runs rough depending on the type of gasoline that is used.

A lot of people comment on how the Colorado rides more like a car compared to the Tacoma which rides more like a truck...that's a recurring theme with GM products, which seem more focused on ride comfort, sometimes at the expense of durability and utility.

But the Colorado has certainly made a favorable enough impression that its sales have done well. I do want to see how its faring 10 years from now. I fear that some OEM's are still making their vehicles, even their trucks, as disposable products.

The couple of Colorado owners I’ve talked to seem to be very pleased with their trucks. I took a look at the Ranger a couple of weeks ago, and it looks great. I didn’t have time to drive it, but would definitely consider it. The 2019 Tacoma I drove last month was a complete TuRD. I would have a VERY hard time spending money on one.

Yeah, would be great for plunking around the Western US and Canada, it is just me being fussy not wanting to screw things up...though I am fairly gentle on my equipment.

Thought it would be cool to get a vehicle the same age of me. All this talk of people saying platforms are out dated...we are getting fairly out dated ourselves, no upgrading us either! :D

Couple that were sold locally to me.

Diggin' these Internationals.

I realize this is 99% banter about you getting anew truck, but unless your current Taco is about to fall to pieces, I’d say you would be way better off just keeping it up, and upgrading parts as needed. There are quite a few old Scouts just 200 yards down the road from me. If you really wanted on, I could go ask if he’d sell one? Almost 50% of the vehicles in the photo are Internationals of one form or other. The circled area is mostly Scouts.503833

Clutch

<---Pass
I realize this is 99% banter about you getting anew truck, but unless your current Taco is about to fall to pieces, I’d say you would be way better off just keeping it up, and upgrading parts as needed. There are quite a few old Scouts just 200 yards down the road from me. If you really wanted on, I could go ask if he’d sell one? Almost 50% of the vehicles in the photo are Internationals of one form or other. The circled area is mostly Scouts.

Ohhh...you know me just like to look. :) We have a few places like that here just up the road. the neighbor behind me has a Gladiator and Willy's truck sitting in his field. Plenty of old crap laying around to throw gobs of money at if you wanted. ;)

Problem with vintage iron is, it is a pain in the ass to do restorations, expensive, and all for what? Just because the sheet metal is bent cooler. Doesn't do the job of getting out and exploring any different than the vehicles I have already. Doing a restoration or buying a new vehicle will only do one thing, put a dent into my bank account.

Taco is in pretty good shape, frame isn't rusted, runs great. Keeping it going and doing repairs as they come up is the cheapest way to go.

The 2019 Tacoma I drove last month was a complete TuRD. I would have a VERY hard time spending money on one.

It is, but being a turd isn't not a bad thing. I could live with the 4 banger. Wouldn't spend the money for what they want new, but would buy a second hand one. Prices seem to be coming down on them, would spend $20K on a low mile used SR.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Oh, I don’t mean turd as in slow. I mean turd as in overpriced, uninspired, cramped, but possibly reliable mini van with a box. I guess I’ll go don my tinfoil airport firefighter suit now.

Your comment about the sheet metal being cooler is bang on. The simplicity factor is appealing in old iron too, but just because you can fix something with a hammer and a crescent wrench doesn’t mean it’s any more desirable.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yep, the sheet metal is bent cooler, the insides are filled with metal and chrome and they often have V8 engines that emit a sonorous sound.

It's the feeling you get driving classic iron that can't be replicated in anything else.... That's the appeal to me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh, I don’t mean turd as in slow. I mean turd as in overpriced, uninspired, cramped, but possibly reliable mini van with a box. I guess I’ll go don my tinfoil airport firefighter suit now.

Oh I agree with you with the it is a turd overall...Toyota is awfully proud of it too.

They are all about the same to me, only reason I would choose the Taco over the others is that it is still available with a manual trans...which its' days are numbered. That and I know my way around Toyotas better than the other brands. But could learn the others, they are all about the same, each do things a little differently.

A basic RCLB V6 fullsize with a high rise topper is appealing to me right now too. Ram's are the cheapest currently. Brand new 4WD truck under $25K, yes please!

Your comment about the sheet metal being cooler is bang on. The simplicity factor is appealing in old iron too, but just because you can fix something with a hammer and a crescent wrench doesn’t mean it’s any more desirable.

Really the only reason I want old iron is because it looks cool. The rest of the vehicle is a POS...so it is easy to work on, good! 'cause you'll be busting your knuckles an awful lot. ;)

Only way to do it right is to keep the frame and body, and replace the drivetrain with something modern. Which is time consuming and not cheap. In all reality rather be out exploring than wrenching.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep, the sheet metal is bent cooler, the insides are filled with metal and chrome and they often have V8 engines that emit a sonorous sound.

It's the feeling you get driving classic iron that can't be replicated in anything else.... That's the appeal to me.

That is part of it, it is like having a piece of artwork you can drive. However, it isn't real high on the list of priorities. Me quitting my commute in 3 years is at the top. I hate hate commuting, it is soul sucking. Quality of life is far more important than what I drive.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That is part of it, it is like having a piece of artwork you can drive. However, it isn't real high on the list of priorities. Me quitting my commute in 3 years is at the top. I hate hate commuting, it is soul sucking. Quality of life is far more important than what I drive.
Agreed. Very low on my priority list too.

Really just day dreaming... Same as when I poke around the classifieds looking at classic cars, to new trucks to boats to cabins.... lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles