Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

Chorky

Observer
I think titan's are transfer tanks? I would look and see if AeroTank has a larger than factory version. They do for my truck. literally doubles fuel capacity.

java

Expedition Leader
I think titan's are transfer tanks? I would look and see if AeroTank has a larger than factory version. They do for my truck. literally doubles fuel capacity.
Titan is a OE replacement, I'd prefer not to deal with two fillers. They have a 51 57 and 61 gallon version. I'm leaning towards the 51 and the others hang lower than the stock one.

Chorky

Observer
Titan is a OE replacement, I'd prefer not to deal with two fillers. They have a 51 57 and 61 gallon version. I'm leaning towards the 51 and the others hang lower than the stock one.

Oh nice. I didn't realize they had oe replacement for yours. I wish they did for my truck also....plastic is better than steel for a tank IMO. Personally, I would consider the 61 gal unless it hangs a lot lower and causes clearance issues. I'm hoping for 100 gal in my truck. I just think it would be much better to know you have enough fuel (especially considering diesel appliances) than to know you have to get some somewhere. I've seen a lot of cases where people think they have enough, but end up not and get stranded some how, either being to far from a fuel stop, or fuel stops being empty or closed. I would rather have way too much than risk an alternative especially for something that is controllable unlike an engine failure. Anyway, just my .02. Lookin forward to seeing what you decide on.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I wouldn’t rule out having an auxiliary tank. It provides redundancy at the cost of an additional filter and pump. If you maintain a practice of not filling both tanks from the same place (not always possible) you can eliminate a crappy batch of fuel stopping you completely. But realistically I have never had bad diesel in the USA or Canada. Mexico, Africa, Asia and Australia are a different story.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have looked into the titan OE replacement tank for my silverado, I would really like the extra range. Shes the 6.0 gasser and drinks the fuel. I have not quite convinced myself to pull the trigger yet. Look forward to hearing a review if you go that route.

java

Expedition Leader
Oh nice. I didn't realize they had oe replacement for yours. I wish they did for my truck also....plastic is better than steel for a tank IMO. Personally, I would consider the 61 gal unless it hangs a lot lower and causes clearance issues. I'm hoping for 100 gal in my truck. I just think it would be much better to know you have enough fuel (especially considering diesel appliances) than to know you have to get some somewhere. I've seen a lot of cases where people think they have enough, but end up not and get stranded some how, either being to far from a fuel stop, or fuel stops being empty or closed. I would rather have way too much than risk an alternative especially for something that is controllable unlike an engine failure. Anyway, just my .02. Lookin forward to seeing what you decide on.

I really dont drive that far between fuel stops usually, honestly the 36 gallon is pretty good, yeah not that far, but provides built in breaks. My olny goal really is not buy $$$ Canadian gas. Now I fill up just before the border and can make it back from Whistler no problem, but further norht and I am forced to buy gas.

I wouldn’t rule out having an auxiliary tank. It provides redundancy at the cost of an additional filter and pump. If you maintain a practice of not filling both tanks from the same place (not always possible) you can eliminate a crappy batch of fuel stopping you completely. But realistically I have never had bad diesel in the USA or Canada. Mexico, Africa, Asia and Australia are a different story.

That is true, but I hate dealing with two fillers.... If I go that route a OE tank for a cab chassis may be an option.

I have looked into the titan OE replacement tank for my silverado, I would really like the extra range. Shes the 6.0 gasser and drinks the fuel. I have not quite convinced myself to pull the trigger yet. Look forward to hearing a review if you go that route.

Yeah Its a lot of $$, takes a lot of miles to pay off.....

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Interesting to see the different use cases. Yours is range/$$, mine is redundancy/contamination (and range). But the crucial minimum criteria for me is that the vehicle has to be able to travel further on a tank than I can drive between bladder breaks. Pisses me off to have to stop for fuel before I need a bio break. Although as I get older the minimum size of the tanks is getting smaller.

java

Expedition Leader
Interesting to see the different use cases. Yours is range/$$, mine is redundancy/contamination (and range). But the crucial minimum criteria for me is that the vehicle has to be able to travel further on a tank than I can drive between bladder breaks. Pisses me off to have to stop for fuel before I need a bio break. Although as I get older the minimum size of the tanks is getting smaller.
While I like the redundancy idea, there are literally nearly no times that I would stop at different fuel stations. Maybe it's something I should be more concerned about... I drink seltzer water like crazy oh, so bathroom breaks are frequent :D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
HAHA its funny to see how things like planning a trip around bathroom access becomes a thing as we get older! I do see your point java in saving cash. It is interesting like Oz said to see different reasons for wanting larger tanks.

Just curious, is there a huge price difference between the tanks you are considering? If price savings is a though, what about considering the larger tank also for the purpose of stocking up on fuel when it is cheaper? although, the small amount of savings is probably not worth the energy needed to monitor prices daily.....

java

Expedition Leader
HAHA its funny to see how things like planning a trip around bathroom access becomes a thing as we get older! I do see your point java in saving cash. It is interesting like Oz said to see different reasons for wanting larger tanks.

Just curious, is there a huge price difference between the tanks you are considering? If price savings is a though, what about considering the larger tank also for the purpose of stocking up on fuel when it is cheaper? although, the small amount of savings is probably not worth the energy needed to monitor prices daily.....

As far as I know, Titan is the only one that makes one anymore. And it's just really expensive.

The savings are really just for Canada, which makes it even harder to pay off. It's a dollar sixty to $2 more per gallon up there it seems like

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Time for the new awning, this one is a Thule, found on my favorite buying place, CL. Its 1.5' longer, and extends out 2' more than the old one. Makes a huge difference!

Old one off. Its light without all the guts in it....
32445235027_630b64e37c_b.jpg

Of course the mounts are in different locations..... So patch up the old holes with some stainless hardware and some sealant. Don't mind the scratches.... Was not real careful when cutting the vinyl off.
33510794038_ef6848422c_b.jpg

New one on. Its maximizing the space, hangs over the window frame in the front and its just inside the rear wall.
40421467383_d23c96196c_b.jpg

Lots more shade!
33510793068_6108757921_b.jpg

Next up, rock lights, parking in the dark in rocky camp spots is interesting.... I have bottomed out and scraped the fuel tank a couple times, lights should be handy as its starting to be roll into unknown camps late at night season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94