Open Carry in Wilderness Areas

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have a Beretta Px4 Storm(s), chambered in .40. The full size and compact use the same holsters, and magazines. I have a few different blackhawk holsters, including molded Kydex/locking, that I can switch to shoulder, drop leg, or waste. Really easily they way the were designed. I never used them in combat theater so am unable to speak to them in that manner. Though i have been happy with them in a number of environments including tactical as a medic.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-SERPA-Quick-Disconnect-Female/dp/B004T0YTD6

Although when carrying concealed i have a leather dual retention i use, on my back. I have used the drop leg holster most when horseback, as anything else cute into my back with the saddle. PNW, i have found all the rangers, State Troopers, Leo happy to answer any questions you have, not as much in the large areas ( Portland, those guys are a little jumpier). I have had no issues open carying in wilderness areas. As others have suggested lots of resources out there to help, with questions based on your CC lisences, and state.

Whatever your system, know it well and practice.

CampStewart

Observer
The Gunfighter Kenai has no buckles that interfere with the backpack straps and more importantly, no buckles or bunched fabric on your back to dig into your back under the pack. Having the gun in a separate holster setup is nice for when you get to camp and drop the pack to still have a way to keep the gun on you.

Maybe this one would work if you really wanted a pack mounted gun.

http://aliengearholsters.com/backpa...pMfDHqWhBhaWangfwsm8bJsCYf_IqvVIaAjArEALw_wcB

Thanks I would really like to give that a try but they only have a limited selections of guns that support. If they bring out a p226 version I will give it a try

dusmw

Have had a permit to carry a concealed handgun for 50 yrs in my home state... always concealed...I see no sense in scaring the sheeple with open carry... it is no ones business except mine.
Are you retired federal LEO? I certainly cannot carry in all 50 states. My commission and ability to carry is not recognized by every state.

hemifoot

Observer
x2 on the shorty shotgun.i carry a mossberg 500 cruiser with slug/00 alternating.it's just more practical than a handgun in the bush in my opinion.definitely not easier to carry but if for some reason i needed to take down something to eat or come between mama bear and her cubs i'd rather have that than some dinky pistol. also the chest rig is very comfortable.i use one on the tactical range for my s&w 629 6".

Lykos

Super Trucker
Your best bet is to contact the game warden for the area you’ll be in. For instance Virginia,where I live, is very open carry friendly. However, doing so with a handgun in the woods is highly illEgal. I found this out from a conservation officer who politely told me to cover my Glock with my jacket. He understood the irony of me carrying a shotgun but needing to cover a 9mm.
Better to call ahead than get caught doing something illegal.

In Florida you can only open carry while in the act or traveling too or from fishing, camping or hunting.

I’ve always open carried in the woods since I was a kid and just never really thought it was unusual, I am not a supporter of open carry in populated areas or anything like that. I still open carry in the woods as I’ve never had an issue with the FWC and I’m almost always fishing or camping. When I first started driving meth was all the rage in Florida so you use to constantly come across buses, trailers and vans out on the trails being used as labs so it was downright scary to go on the trails unarmed. Now they have all moved to pills so you don’t run across the meth heads anymore but there is still plenty of thieves on the trails who will rob you so I still carry. I’ve had two scary instances on the trails with people attempting to rob us/block us in, both times we were in groups but they still attempted, luckily we got away without having to use a firearm in self defense. I now carry a 1911 .45 and always carried a Beretta 92 before that which now my wife carries. I load two magazines for each, one with Speer Gold Dot and the other with Buffalo Bore Sportsman + P ammo (both .45 & 9mm). That way we are both set up for animals with thick fur and soft flesh targets behind car doors, windscreens or other light cover.

My biggest fear on the trails are hogs and black bears after robbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Not to stir controversy but, I'd rather be able to defend myself in any wilderness from any predator with a gun and live to defend myself in a court of law.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Not to stir controversy but, do people really understand what it means to shoot someone and what happens next?
Everybody I know who carries has thought about it and understands that being alive is much better than being dead. You mileage may vary though.
It's a question someone who carries should have thought about ahead of time. Knowing you won't hesitate and having a plan in place for when you're arrested, e.g. a good lawyer ready to go immediately since self defense is a legally justified homicide that the DA hopefully decides not to prosecute. Being alive isn't much better if it means doing 25 to life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne