How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Pick a wire/cable that is rated for outdoor use in a wet location. Support larger wires no more than 12-18 inches with chafe protected supports. In areas that might chafe adding sleeving is good. The key to good protection is supporting the wire so that it won't move.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Wow I can't believe this thread continues to be active. Glad it is still working for folks. If I get some time I'll go review/update the links in the original post. Anything obvious that might help new readers I should add to the first post?

salstoy

Wow I can't believe this thread continues to be active. Glad it is still working for folks. If I get some time I'll go review/update the links in the original post. Anything obvious that might help new readers I should add to the first post?

I’d like an update regarding any hurdles to date that you may have encountered. Also, what extra accessories are you running in your vehicle and has this set up worked well for it

Renogy has a new DC to DC charger unit on amazon for $129 if anyone is on the fence about solenoids and such. Has 3 stage charge and can handle flooded, agm, gel, and lithium. Output is 20 or 40 amps ($199) depending on model, but 20a is nice for those who don't wanna install huge wire (of course bigger is always better).

Renogy 20A DC to DC Battery Charger for Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium Batteries Using Multi-stage Charging on Amazon

renogy-dc-to-dc-charger-on-board-continue-crushing-overland.jpg

Last edited:

dreadlocks

yeah thats fine, however if your going to pull some serious amps through the chassis you should have redundant grounding paths for battery/engine (alt).. I once had engine ground strap fail and the path to ground for the starter was a throttle cable, bet yeh can guess how that turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles