Crap, I got sealed beams on my E350, anything I can do to make my lights much better..

ricardo

Observer
The 5x7 sealed beam unit that was an option on the Econolines is one of the most common (if not the most common, certainly in the last several decades) headlights in the world. I own 3 cars that use them, and my Econoline is not one of them (Subaru XT6, Toyota 4Runner, and Toyota Celica). There are H4 conversion housings, dedicated LED, dedicated projector, etc. options everywhere.

That said, I have some mediocre, plastic lense H4 conversions in my 4Runner. Pilot brand, IIRC. They're mediocre, optics are acceptable (the little street driving done with it, I haven't had anyone flash their high beams at me), but only a bit better lighting than a new sealed beam.

I have some terrifyingly cheap Chinese LED units in my XT6, they're fantastic, as long as you don't mind the fact that nobody around you can see. I traded them for a 6-pack of beer when he removed them from his MR2 because the optics are so bad. But my XT6 is only used for Rallycross and ice racing, and gets towed to those events.

I'm torn what to use on my Celica (which is actually daily driven in the summer months, so needs to have decent lights). Hella E-code (European street legal, cast even less light above the cutoff than DOT) lights with halogen H4 bulbs are a tried-and-true option for 10+ years, and IIRC are about $100 for a pair of housings, another $20ish for some bulbs. Truck-lite LEDs are the proven LED option over the last 5 years or so, but they're very expensive ($400, I think that's for a pair). There are hundreds of cheap LED options out there, but there are more and more decent ones for more reasonable money. Auxbeam just came out with some that have me tempted: https://www.auxbeam.com/driving-light/7-inch-driving-light/spu00143

You can also convert to the halogen composite lights (the trapezoidal ones) found on the nicer trim levels. But IMHO the only acceptable housings are OEM, the aftermarket ones that I've seen have considerably inferior optics. Although they do look better.

It's also possible to convert to the '08+ headlight setup, but you also need fenders, hood, grill, and probably some mounting parts, too.
Wow, so much information..

I used to ride adventure bikes way before they became fashionable and I use to joke that I can rent the bike to peel paint of walls, at one point I had like 350watts of HID lighting, for all kind of weather, i was never the fastest but since I have the better lighting many times I got there first, but in san francisco it did not matter the cops have more important things to deal with..

Minnesota on the other hand apparently they are very by the book, so I can not play around..

I do like those lights on the link, are they well regarded..??

For now I install this lightbar using some old bicycle stems and brake mounts..
A1D7D113-07D9-40FC-8CF5-725CE5B3C17E-X2.jpg

I just got them mount it, I still need to find some part like the end caps ( 1 1/4" bike fork topcaps)
7C00A527-9B3D-4F66-B06F-40D446A2D0BE-X2.jpg

When I get the new bumper, I will drill just one set of holes..
3975C286-E827-42FF-9A08-53F609D2A4CC-X2.jpg

Numbchux

Auxbeam is very much a mid-grade company. If I stick with 5x7s on my Celica, those are the ones I plan to use (I'm looking into a much more intensive project, but that's not relevant here) as I think they look like decent quality for the money, but I have not actually used them.

I've had a pair of their pod lights on my lawn tractor that I use for snow blowing for 3 seasons, now, and I love them.

Of all the things that Minnesota sucks about, just about anything goes on the roads. I got pulled over once for having roof lights on on the road (in the country, I was being courteous and turned them off when I saw another car, but it was a cop...), but only a verbal warning.

Last edited:

ricardo

Observer
Auxbeam is very much a mid-grade company. If I stick with 5x7s on my Celica, those are the ones I plan to use (I'm looking into a much more intensive project, but that's not relevant here) as I think they look like decent quality for the money, but I have not actually used them.

I've had a pair of their pod lights on my lawn tractor that I use for snow blowing for 3 seasons, now, and I love them.
They are so freaking many companies selling the exact same things rebranded or with a better package..

As a very simple example I purchase a 100 of this bike stems for $1.95 (no volume discount that was the price from china (I kick my self i did not buy a 1000 or more) no the cheapest price is like $4.95 and I have seen them as high as $19,95 (a fashion brands sells a better ones for about $80 but they go as high as $130 or so

With a friend we where wondering how they can make them so cheap..
image-L.jpg

They are great for many things including mounting baskets on racks.
63EADC3E-8001-462E-8232-E7E1098DEEF9-L.jpg

Actually I'm looking for more super dupper cheap stems with a 45 deggre angle, but since they will be welded they will be more expensive, that way I don't need the silly wood spacers..
386EE45D-76F0-458C-8CE6-5C4EBF561189-L.jpg

Of all the things that Minnesota sucks about, just about anything goes on the roads. I got pulled over once for having roof lights on on the road (in the country, I was being courteous and turned them off when I saw another car, but it was a cop...), but only a verbal warning.

I'm hoping having my light bar at the bumper will bring less unwanted attention, but I'm going to install a switch just in case..

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Nothing wrong with auto parts store Halogen Sealed Beams... under $20 each.
Shortly after buying my rig, I upgraded the sealed beam Halogen to Sylvania Silver Stars which we’re supposed to be the best. They sucked... on country roads I was constant overdriving them.

Last edited:

billiebob

Shortly after buying my rig, I upgraded the sealed beam Halogen to Sylvania Silver Stars. They sucked... on country roads I was constant overdriving them.
Those Sylvanias are the ones I've used for 20 years. So I take it you like ultra bright LEDs which don't suck but blind the oncoming traffic. Personally I prefer to drive within the ability of my lights and pay attention rather than blind the oncoming traffic and watch them cross the center line.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Those Sylvanias are the ones I've used for 20 years. So I take it you like ultra bright LEDs which don't suck but blind the oncoming traffic. Personally I prefer to drive within the ability of my lights and pay attention rather than blind the oncoming traffic and watch them cross the center line.

As mentioned back on the first page, I’m running DOT approved Hella euro pattern lights. Way more light on the road and far less above the crisp clean cutoff line.

The sealed beam Halogen were fine for in town, but in the country, in the rain... I was flying blind.

ricardo

Observer
As mentioned back on the first page, I’m running DOT approved Hella euro pattern lights. Way more light on the road and far less above the crisp clean cutoff line.

The sealed beam Halogen were fine for in town, but in the country, in the rain... I was flying blind.
I hate that feeling of not knowing what is in front of you, specially riding motorcycles at night (I rode from Palo alto to La-la-land every two weeks for about two years, all in the dark, miracle i never found a tire carcass or something funky..

Noise is silly, lights are good, well Aim lights are the bomb..

bdog1

Adventurer
Ran “truck lite” LED’s. There not cheap , but you really don’t anything else once there in. Since there 6v to 24v the crappy factory wiring runs them at 100% without wiring /relay mods. DOT legal. As a bonus they use very little amps to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Shortly after buying my rig, I upgraded the sealed beam Halogen to Sylvania Silver Stars which we’re supposed to be the best. They sucked... on country roads I was constant overdriving them.

Even at 15-20 mph I couldn’t see much of what was coming... I’m not talking about doing 60 mph on a narrow highway. I also added installed a pair of Hella 550 driving lights to replace the ones that a PO had removed after Crestline had built it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ran “truck lite” LED’s. There not cheap , but you really don’t anything else once there in. Since there 6v to 24v the crappy factory wiring runs them at 100% without wiring /relay mods. DOT legal. As a bonus they use very little amps to operate.

I’ve converted almost all my lights to LED for one reason or another. Headlights and driving are still Halogen... not too worried about amps in a 9k+ rig with a 215amp alternator. I’m not 100% confident in the durability and longevity of LEDs. If one or two of four brake lights get dim it’s not the end of the world... two headlights going dark while rounding a corner could be deadly.

ricardo

Observer

My Budget is to tight for those but I will keep them in mind for better times

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm on the 4th year with the truck-lite 5X7 LED headlights and still WOWing me every time I put them on.
Don't hesitate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz