Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

billiebob

I agree with all the thoughts on vinyl interior etc but I go onr further. I hate all the complicated electronics and nanny functions even more. Plus there are so many things buried out of site on todays trucks. Either behind plastic or under the ridiculous windshield.

My next 4x4 will have a carb, no EFI, and no aluminium. Think cast iron block, head, transmission, transfer case, and leaf springs. Pretty sure that means 40 years old. You know you can find a perfectly restored 40 year old 4x4 for under $30K. And it'll be like new.

This would be a dream truck.

Outback

Explorer
I agree with all the thoughts on vinyl interior etc but I go onr further. I hate all the complicated electronics and nanny functions even more. Plus there are so many things buried out of site on todays trucks. Either behind plastic or under the ridiculous windshield.

My next 4x4 will have a carb, no EFI, and no aluminium. Think cast iron block, head, transmission, transfer case, and leaf springs. Pretty sure that means 40 years old. You know you can find a perfectly restored 40 year old 4x4 for under $30K. And it'll be like new.

Like this:

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer

This would be a dream truck.

If you want cast Iron then you will need to go with a SM465 (original version was all cast Iron later models had an Aluminum top) with all of the factory upgrades. Atlas out of Paso Robles has a rebuild kit with all of those upgrades in the kit. I would also pick up one of their Ranger Overdrives as that gives you a great Overdrive 27% and lets you split the gears which is really needed between 2nd and 3rd. Possible even 3rd and 4th depending on which ever power plant you go with. To that I would add a Magnum Box from ORD and the brutally strong NP205. This combination will give you the right gear for absolutely any situation you could ever find yourself in. I think a turbo charge Diesel Isuzu inline 6 (6BD1T) would be just about perfect or even the Inline 4 Turbo charged Diesel (4BD1T). The later would be perfect for FJ60 on down to jeeps and the Larger for any full sized Old Metal. In todays age you really need an Overdrive in what ever vehicle you are driving to stay up with normal traffic and keep the rpms lower for better fuel economy. Of course you won't get anywhere in a hurry with those engines but you will get there. Go 5000,000 miles and do a simple rebuild in your lawn shed and go another 500,000 miles. Or throw in Chevy 350 V8 and you are cruising down the highway right now with power to spare.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I just want to know what is wrong with my 14' 2500 with the 5.7 and I'm averaging 13.5mpg stock everything and you were spinning 37s to the tune of 15mpg. I've only had it 3 weeks but this thread kinda made me mad haha

Just to rub a little more salt in the wound.
My stock geared CTD with 13" wide 36s consistently gets 18 on the interstate at 75 or so...

Dalko43

Explorer
I just want to know what is wrong with my 14' 2500 with the 5.7 and I'm averaging 13.5mpg stock everything and you were spinning 37s to the tune of 15mpg. I've only had it 3 weeks but this thread kinda made me mad haha

Most stock Rams w/ 6.4l Hemi's aren't averaging anything close to 15 mpg; 13.5mpg for a stock 5.7l Ram seems normal.

im averaging 10-12 via computer.

max out at 15-16 on highway with a tailwind on 35s
usually return about 12-14MPG on long distance trips with general daily loads.

if im daily driving the 7 miles of local roads to and from work for 5 days...im probably averaging under 10MPG that week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94