Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw

Adventurer
''Stop liking what I don't like.'' HahahhahHah.

2016-lucas-off-road-expo-ford-f150.jpg

xnt7ep0335h11.jpg

Tundra vs F150 is a pretty popular topic. But it's comparing an old actress, to a young supermodel.

Your choice. Don't take it personally like the dodge guys.
Cool Trucks - what kind of hood is that on the Brown one?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Caribou or magnetic are better anyways. Assuming you don't mind professionally buffing and polishing the truck every year. Not exactly expo friendly colors.

D

Deleted member 9101

Looks like the EcoBoost is selling well enough to cause Ford to shift employees over to another plant to build "Godzilla." Evidently the 5.0 sales are getting sluggish.

V8 sales down

Dalko43

Explorer
Tundra vs F150 is a pretty popular topic. But it's comparing an old actress, to a young supermodel.

Your choice. Don't take it personally like the dodge guys.

The humor in that comment isn't derived from its cleverness or originality...rather its derived from the ego and myopia that goes into a statement like that.

I read these threads and I inevitably see the same old, played-out arguments being used.
The Ford F-150 is the best truck. Why?

Because it sells the most....so do Big Mac's, but who would use that metric to argue over which burger is the "best?"
Because Ford trucks are the most reliable....but don't pay attention to all of those 6.0l Powerstrokes and those early ecoboost engines which had plenty of problems (some of which never got official factory resolutions).
Because it has the highest tow and payload ratings in the 1/2 ton segment....but still uses brakes, axles, differentials that are comparable or inferior in size compared to those used on other 1/2 tons.
Because it has the most powerful engine...which it does. Enjoy that power, but be sure to let me know what the 2nd or 3rd hand owner is paying for maintenance/upkeep 150k miles down the road.
Because it looks the best....honestly, of all the arguments I've heard so far, this one probably makes the most sense.

So enjoy your F-150 @Buliwyf....you have the fairest 1/2 ton in all the land, which of course is the most important consideration for selecting a truck.

bkg

Explorer
The humor in that comment isn't derived from its cleverness or originality...rather its derived from the ego and myopia that goes into a statement like that.

I read these threads and I inevitably see the same old, played-out arguments being used.

Because it sells the most....so do Big Mac's, but who would use that metric to argue over which burger is the "best?"
Because Ford trucks are the most reliable....but don't pay attention to all of those 6.0l Powerstrokes and those early ecoboost engines which had plenty of problems (some of which never got official factory resolutions).
Because it has the highest tow and payload ratings in the 1/2 ton segment....but still uses brakes, axles, differentials that are comparable or inferior in size compared to those used on other 1/2 tons.
Because it has the most powerful engine...which it does. Enjoy that power, but be sure to let me know what the 2nd or 3rd hand owner is paying for maintenance/upkeep 150k miles down the road.
Because it looks the best....honestly, of all the arguments I've heard so far, this one probably makes the most sense.

So enjoy your F-150 @Buliwyf....you have the fairest 1/2 ton in all the land, which of course is the most important consideration for selecting a truck.

bringing up the 6.0 while ignoring Toyota's propensity to have to replace frames...

your statements are just as filled with ego and myopia as any.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
bringing up the 6.0 while ignoring Toyota's propensity to have to replace frames...

Toyota stand by its product and is fixing it. To claim that other manufacturers do not have rust issues is insane.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Caribou or magnetic are better anyways. Assuming you don't mind professionally buffing and polishing the truck every year. Not exactly expo friendly colors.
I like my Ignot silver. It seems to do a decent job of hiding dirt / dust / scratches etc....

nickw

Adventurer

If you define Big Macs as being the "best burger", your criteria is price, taste, availability....it probably is the "best", which is why it sells a lot. Point being, depends on your criteria. Is axle size or disc size a criteria for truck purchase? Seems it is for you, but that doesn't have any tangible benefit to the end user from a performance perspective, Fords are not breaking rear axles.

Big axles are cool, I guess, but if the platform doesn't support that with a strong Transmission, Tcase, axle tubes, shafts and all the other stuff, who cares? Unless you talk to a Toyota engineer and Ford engineer, your not going to be able to discern the design criteria.

What about front diff size - did you look at that?

Simple fact is Fords are not breaking axles and don't have braking (no pun intended) problems. The Ford Raptor uses the same parts from the F150-HD, no issues, same engine (highly Tuned version of), trans, tcase and F/R axle.

Seems like this is really a value assessment to you, $/mile or ownership cost. If I was keeping the rig 15 years, I'd agree, the Toyota is probably a cheaper / safer option, but I'm not (nor are a lot of folks), which is why this comes full circle, how do you define "best truck"? Ask most expedition guys how they'd define it and it would include things like "load carrying capability, towing capacity, fuel mileage, range, durable platform, reliability, ease of repair, interior room...etc"...I think the Ford ticks those boxes better than the Tundra. If you wanna include things like "long term cost of ownership, resale value, rear axle size, front disc size, muffler bearing diameter..." so be it, your value assessment differs from what most folks need or want.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If you define Big Macs as being the "best burger", your criteria is price, taste, availability....it probably is the "best", which is why it sells a lot. Point being, depends on your criteria. Is axle size or disc size a criteria for truck purchase? Seems it is for you, but that doesn't have any tangible benefit to the end user from a performance perspective, Fords are not breaking rear axles.

Big axles are cool, I guess, but if the platform doesn't support that with a strong Transmission, Tcase, axle tubes, shafts and all the other stuff, who cares? Unless you talk to a Toyota engineer and Ford engineer, your not going to be able to discern the design criteria.

What about front diff size - did you look at that?

Simple fact is Fords are not breaking axles and don't have braking (no pun intended) problems. The Ford Raptor uses the same parts from the F150-HD, no issues, same engine (highly Tuned version of), trans, tcase and F/R axle.

Seems like this is really a value assessment to you, $/mile or ownership cost. If I was keeping the rig 15 years, I'd agree, the Toyota is probably a cheaper / safer option, but I'm not (nor are a lot of folks), which is why this comes full circle, how do you define "best truck"? Ask most expedition guys how they'd define it and it would include things like "load carrying capability, towing capacity, fuel mileage, range, durable platform, reliability, ease of repair, interior room...etc"...I think the Ford ticks those boxes better than the Tundra. If you wanna include things like "long term cost of ownership, resale value, rear axle size, front disc size, muffler bearing diameter..." so be it, your value assessment differs from what most folks need or want.

Umm tundras are nit breaking axles nor have braking issues.

Dalko43

Explorer

The frame recalls is pretty much the only retort that people have when discussing Toyota's reputation for reliability.

The last vehicles to be affected by the frame recalls were from the 2008-2010 era. And more importantly, Toyota recognized the issue and offered full replacements, at no cost to the owners.

Not quite the same as Ford telling 6.0 powerstroke or early ecoboost owners that they just have to deal with the problems since no factory fix will ever be developed.

peekay

Adventurer
Because we're talking about this in an expedition forum, let's throw this out there -- if you're in the middle of the desert, 200 miles from the nearest service station or even cell phone reception (closest thing we have in the 48 states is maybe Death Valley), and you're carrying 1300lbs of gear while going down the washboard road, what would you rather be driving, a similar vintage Tundra or Ford F-150?

My guess is, unless you're a Ford fanatic, the vast majority, maybe 70%+, would take the Tundra.

D

Deleted member 9101

Because we're talking about this on a Toyota Fanboy forum, let's throw this out there -- if you're in the middle of the desert, 200 miles from the nearest service station or even cell phone reception (closest thing we have in the 48 states is maybe Death Valley), and you're carrying 1300lbs of gear while going down the washboard road, what would you rather be driving, a similar vintage Tundra or Ford F-150?

My guess is, unless you're a Ford fanatic, the vast majority, maybe 70%+, would take the Tundra.

I'll take the F150 with its fully boxed frame, better fuel economy, more power, and same transmission/transfer case/ driveshafts/axles/brakes as the Raptor.

Not that there is anything wrong with the Tundra...but I've owned both.. the Tundra leaves much to be desired, especially for the price.

Also, I fixed your post for you ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke