fire extinguisher recommendation requested

patoz

Expedition Leader
I edited my post again..

I will probably pick up a couple of these at some point, but until I personally test/use one on a fire, I'll still carry ABC extinguishers also. I'm a firm believer in the, 'One is none and two is one!' philosophy.

craig333

Expedition Leader
When I was was with CDF, they made us dump the powder through a screen. Don't think it was necessary but that was the procedure.
I was minutes behind a traffic collision where a guy got rear ended and his car burst into flames. A couple local businessmen used their 2A10BC extinguishers ineffectually. One of the reasons I carry big extinguishers is I want at least a fighting chance to save a life. Another reason I do foam is if I'm trapped I sure don't want dry chemical sprayed in my face.

chet6.7

Explorer
Vehicle fires can be hard to put out,this may be extreme,but you can see what a FE can and cannot do.

patoz

Expedition Leader
When I was was with CDF, they made us dump the powder through a screen. Don't think it was necessary but that was the procedure.
I was minutes behind a traffic collision where a guy got rear ended and his car burst into flames. A couple local businessmen used their 2A10BC extinguishers ineffectually. One of the reasons I carry big extinguishers is I want at least a fighting chance to save a life. Another reason I do foam is if I'm trapped I sure don't want dry chemical sprayed in my face.

One of the biggest problems with the smaller extinguishers is, most people who buy then have never been trained on how to used them properly nor were they able to participate in a training fire to get actual experience with one. By the time they figure out what works best, the extinguisher is empty.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I managed to get three of the Element extinguishers on the Pelican group buy. One will go in the bed of my Power Wagon to complement the 2-1/2# Halon next to the driver's seat. The others will be the primary extinguishers in my other vehicles. Fire extinguishers are a lot like handguns in that the best one is the one you have with you when you need it.

Reactions: WVI

steelhd

Observer
One of the biggest problems with the smaller extinguishers is, most people who buy then have never been trained on how to used them properly nor were they able to participate in a training fire to get actual experience with one. By the time they figure out what works best, the extinguisher is empty.
Very true. I bet you could hand most people a ten pounder and they would fail to extinguish an office cubicle garbage can fire. For many years I had to attend classroom plus hands on training every two years plus Ive had to use extinguishers, dirt, blankets, and clothing articles "in the wild" many times. The trick is not just knowing how but also knowing what you can and cant safely and effectively attack with the tools available.

s.e.charles

perhaps not the audience of "most people", but maybe you will use this venue to teach those of us here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz