Camp bed time, what’s your set up

bear100

Hey all

Let’s see and hear about your bed time set up. One of the most important parts of overlanding and camping in general is having a good nights sleep!

Over the years I’ve never really accomplished it, either to hot or cold, some mats are sweaty, noisy, uncomfortable etc

Being a big man 6ft and 20st it’s not an easy obstacle to overcome.
I’ve got the thermarest mats and they seem ok but still lack comfort.
My latest thought is about using the Oztent King Goanna stretcher but feel I would loose movement, I do like to move around.

So tell me what you have and pros and cons

Thanks

frans

Adventurer
Butler bag. Simply the most comfortable bag I have ever owned. Has a sleeve to insert a pad, then I use another pad underneath the bag.
The butler bags are very well cut, very roomy, and flannel.
I hate the light weight plastic bags that don't really allow tossing and turning.
Look up butler bag on line

krick3tt

Adventurer
Depending on weather and animals that will eat anything, either OZ tent, cot tent or inside the Rover. Have a 3.5 inch mattress and enough bags and such to keep really comfortable.

dms1

Explorer
My Exped products all started to leak within a few outings' worth of use. To be fair, so have all the other air-dependent mats I've had from REI and Therma rest.
Dang, I have had my megamat since they came out and it still works great. In fact we slept on ours 2 months straight while we were having our house worked on last summer and are now using them in a Travel Trailer on a daily basis as we got rid of the mattress that came with it. Maybe you pumped them up too much?

Dang, I have had my megamat since they came out and it still works great. In fact we slept on ours 2 months straight while we were having our house worked on last summer and are now using them in a Travel Trailer on a daily basis as we got rid of the mattress that came with it. Maybe you pumped them up too much?

They say you can't over-inflate them (at least with the pump that they include). I would try to get a replacement from Exped and just hope that the old one was defective. My exped has been a game changer for sleeping in a ground tent. Now I just need to strike it rich so I can get one of those Butler Bags.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
My Exped products all started to leak within a few outings' worth of use. To be fair, so have all the other air-dependent mats I've had from REI and Therma rest.

Yikes, what are you doing to your mattresses? I've slept several hundred nights on Exped products, including 16 straight months during home renovations. Have never had a single leak or failure of any type. They've held air for months at a time without refilling.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
For your weight you could consider the Camptime Roll-a-Cot XL, which is rated for 300 lbs. It weighs 13 lbs---have the weight of the Oztent King Goanna.

For the ultimate mattress comfort nothing beats the Exped Megamat 10, as others have mentioned.

Finding a sleeping bag to fit is difficult. Down is really the best choice, but hard to find in your size. One solution would be to open up a down bag and use it as a quilt. I use mine like that most of the time. I only zip it up all the way when it's really cold. This would work well on the Exped Megamat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles