Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Always enjoy your thread up dates. Tigers are unique and like you said an RV’s weight seems to bring on added issues. I’m glad you mentioned the rally in Gunnison. I haven't been to that one but will probably see you there. I was already looking forward to a trip this year into Colorado and that rally will be an added bonus. BTW, when I was a Tiger Owners Forum member I seem to remember a couple folks having their tire treads separating. Pretty sure one guys were BFG’s also but I can’t go and search the forum. I do remember he was an air down on trails guy. I don’t air down on my Tiger but do on my Wrangler, always. The different concideration is due to the loads on the tires. My Tiger weighs 11,000 lbs. and my Wrangler 4,500. To my date my Tiger has just over 50,000 miles, with 30,000 on current Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they still look new. Anyway, thanks for the thread and keeping it updated.

Hope to see/meet you in Gunnison. Yeah, I've never aired down the Tiger for the same reason, "weight". But, were prerunning the RimRocker trail from Montrose, Co. to Moab in about a week and I'm considering at least drop my pressure by 10 or 15 lbs to soften the ride. I won't go to crazy and monitor as I go along, but it'll be interesting to see how if changes the ride over rough roads.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I sure envy your Tiger. Some day (when I'm rich or lucky) I hope to find something similar.

Awesome rig.

Thanks! Keep looking, they're out there. Finding an older one that hasn't been loved for while is possible and can be inexpensive. The great thing is that Provan still has a great parts support for them and they are straightforward to work on. Good luck!

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
One of the Tiger projects I've been putting off was install new flooring.......I hate doing tiling, carpet, wood flooring, you name it, I hate it. I did it in college for my dad who own apartments and my first couple of fixer upper houses and I just got sick of it. Anyway, we've been running the T with floor mats over a bare wood floor and I finally decided to man up and put the flooring in. Had to order the darn stuff since it seems no one does nice vinyl flooring anymore. Prepped the floor. Made a template from brown paper and transferred it to the flooring. Sharp razor blade and cut the entire floor out of a single piece of vinyl (brilliant idea). Layed the glue down and layed the flooring.....kinda like fighting a giant sticky noodle.....got it in. Nice fit. Pushed the bubbles out and kinda happy with it. Just need to finish the step and we're done with this thing! (No such thing!)

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Attended the 1st Rocky Mountain Overland Rally in Gunnison, Co. this week and had a great time! Met lots of fascinating Overlanders and had a fun looking over some of the rigs. The Tiger did a great job keeping us warm, dry and comfy at night and getting us and our ATC gear to the show and back home.IMG_4599.JPGIMG_4602.JPG29C058AD-1E80-440B-BD5E-5D356B36D084.jpegIMG_4615.JPG

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Prepping Le Tigre for the multiweek journey to OE East 19 with a little tune-up of cap, rotor, wires, plugs, airfilter and pcv valve. Man, running plug wires is always a pain.......btw, does anyone else do this on modern rigs? LOL....

IMG_4711.JPG

java

Expedition Leader
If it's old enough to have cap, rotor and wires yes definitely change them! Pcv I don't bother with unless it's failed (doesn't rattle). But most everything I own now is coil on plug.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
If it's old enough to have cap, rotor and wires yes definitely change them! Pcv I don't bother with unless it's failed (doesn't rattle). But most everything I own now is coil on plug.

Yeah, it's a 1995 Chevy 5.7 V8. Very basic and reliable motor, heck it still has the old round metal air cleaner and filter on top of the TBI. It was still running the original wires, cap and rotor, not sure about the plugs but they all looked good and clean!

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it's a 1995 Chevy 5.7 V8. Very basic and reliable motor, heck it still has the old round metal air cleaner and filter on top of the TBI. It was still running the original wires, cap and rotor, not sure about the plugs but they all looked good and clean!
Probably well due for replacement if they were original! Good simple engines.

I'm retrofitting a TBI unit into one of my projects right now. Simple units.

jgaz

Adventurer
Yes, definitely cap and rotor with the plugs on those motors.
The HEI ignition on those will jump a substantial air gap between the contacts but that will lead to arching and burning of the those contacts.
I’m sure you did, but use an OEM or high end (Napa) rotor, and cap.
During my 10 years in a Chevy dealership I saw a number of cheap rotors that burned a tiny hole thru the insulator and grounded the coil output to the distributor shaft.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I tell you, this 1995 5.7 (4l60e) is amazing compared to my 1997 5.7 (4l80e). It's always been a strong engine but after this tune up it literally pulls our mountain (9000-9500 ft) roads like it doesnt have the camper mounted to it. Now, it's not a corvette or anything but, it'll pull up Hill at 60-70 mph swiftly. Heck, I have slow down going into the canyon curves simply because the suspension can't handle it. Oh, and the magnaflow exhaust makes it sound like a corvette camper.....love it!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Just go to back from exploring the PCH (5 days) from San Francisco to the tip of Coronado and have to swap out the in tank fuel pump before heading out to OE East. If your a fan of GM trucks it's a straight forward and wise swap after 100k since they can tend to fail without warning. But, add a Tiger camper body and it's a whole new experience! Three hours to get it out and now to put it back in....then a week of prep for OE! Cheers.IMG_4771.JPGIMG_4772.JPGIMG_4773.JPGIMG_20190925_150048315.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles