2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build

InfiniteOffroad

2012 Infiniti QX56 "Z62"
  • HBMC - Hydraulic Body Motion Control (No lift for me... :()
  • ABLS - Active Brake Limited-Slip (No lockers for me... :))
  • VDC - Vehicle Dynamic Control (To disengage "when freeing the vehicle from mud or snow")
  • 8500lbs Towing Capacity with Rear Auto-Leveling Suspension
  • 400HP V8 with 7 Speed Automatic
  • Auto/4-High/4-Low
  • IRS/IFS
Current "Mods:"
  • Tekonsha Electronic Brake Controller
  • Constant 12v Power Front and Rear Cig Lighter Adapters
  • Removable rear cargo shelf for Dometic CFX-75DZW fridge/freezer, 6' folding table and recovery gear
  • Front and Rear external 12v Quick Connects for solar panel (charge controller)
  • Reliance portable toilet and supplies stored in spare tire wheel
  • Yakima 21 cubic foot cargo roof Skybox
  • Custom, hitch-mounted camp kitchen with sink, stove and microwave
Future Plans:
  • All-terrain tires on stock 22" rims
  • Underbody armor (if available)
  • Passenger 3rd row seat removal and false floor for slide-out fridge
  • Dual battery setup
  • Off-road LED lighting
This SUV primarily serves as the tow rig for my Jeep Rubicon TJ rock crawler but needs to travel to the same primitive camp spots as the Jeep. It is also my go-to vehicle for family road trips and easy camping excursions. Any "mods" are currently either removable or invisible as I prefer to maintain its original styling. I'm hoping to connect with the handful of other owners taking these things on dirt in the US and potentially help those who come after me!

Attachments

• 20190416_071716.jpg
    20190416_071716.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • 20190328_190046.jpg
    20190328_190046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134

leeleatherwood

2012 Infiniti QX56 "Z62"
  • HBMC - Hydraulic Body Motion Control (No lift for me... :()
  • ABLS - Active Brake Limited-Slip (No lockers for me... :))
  • VDC - Vehicle Dynamic Control (To disengage "when freeing the vehicle from mud or snow")
  • 8500lbs Towing Capacity with Rear Auto-Leveling Suspension
  • 400HP V8 with 7 Speed Automatic
  • Auto/4-High/4-Low
  • IRS/IFS
Current "Mods:"
  • Tekonsha Electronic Brake Controller
  • Constant 12v Power Front and Rear Cig Lighter Adapters
  • Removable rear cargo shelf for Dometic CFX-75DZW fridge/freezer, 6' folding table and recovery gear
  • Front and Rear external 12v Quick Connects for solar panel (charge controller)
  • Reliance portable toilet and supplies stored in spare tire wheel
  • Yakima 21 cubic foot cargo roof Skybox
  • Custom, hitch-mounted camp kitchen with sink, stove and microwave
Future Plans:
  • All-terrain tires on stock 22" rims
  • Underbody armor (if available)
  • Passenger 3rd row seat removal and false floor for slide-out fridge
  • Dual battery setup
  • Off-road LED lighting
This SUV primarily serves as the tow rig for my Jeep Rubicon TJ rock crawler but needs to travel to the same primitive camp spots as the Jeep. It is also my go-to vehicle for family road trips and easy camping excursions. Any "mods" are currently either removable or invisible as I prefer to maintain its original styling. I'm hoping to connect with the handful of other owners taking these things on dirt in the US and potentially help those who come after me!

The HBMC versions have more factory flex than the non-HBMC versions, so that will help you out even if you don't lift it.

Also, that's a HUGE freezer ?

Ronnie Helmo

InfiniteOffroad - question for you, how did you manage to "Constant 12v Power Front and Rear Cig Lighter Adapters"? I would love to do the same in my truck. Thanks in advance.

InfiniteOffroad

The HBMC versions have more factory flex than the non-HBMC versions, so that will help you out even if you don't lift it.

Also, that's a HUGE freezer ?

Great to know about the articulation, though I'm unsure how much clearance I'd have running 285/55r22s; not to mention the shift points since re-gearing probably isn't an option. I may just put some 305/45r22s on it and call it good. Any advice?

The fridge/freezer has been a game changer for us. No more meal prep before heading out; now we just bring groceries! There are two compartments and they each function independently (one compartment can even be turned off to save power). I bought it used and it's paying for itself with the money we save not eating out while on the road.

InfiniteOffroad

InfiniteOffroad - question for you, how did you manage to "Constant 12v Power Front and Rear Cig Lighter Adapters"? I would love to do the same in my truck. Thanks in advance.

I studied the electrical diagrams and yes, there's a relay behind the dash that switches the adapters on and off, but I decided to just run power straight from the battery. I fed a 12 gauge wire from the positive terminal (fused) across the rear of the engine compartment, through the existing conduit in the firewall on the driver's side, tapped it for the front cig light adapter, and continued all the way to the rear cig adapter.

The front adapter (the lower one on the dash) was easy: push in the tiny tabs holding the inner adapter in the socket and pull it out while disconnecting the stock wiring harness. Crimp some wire connectors on and run power and find a good ground. The rear required pulling the side panel out just enough to access the back of the compartment, though I suppose you could pop the whole panel out. I preferred to just pull enough to get my hands back there and make the connections.

Honestly, a car audio/alarm shop can probably do something like this for you. It's much easier than installing an amp and they run wires and pop panels all day long!

Attachments

• SolarEdit.JPG
    SolarEdit.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

leeleatherwood

@leeleatherwood You mentioned you removed your 3rd row seats; have you built a floor back there? I'm curious what kind of mounting points might be available and if custom brackets will be required to make it level. Goose Gear (https://www.goose-gear.com/blogs/news/86101569-goose-gear-plate-system-for-suvs) makes an impressive product but I wouldn't expect them to include our trucks in the mix anytime soon.

When you remove the seats, there are a good number of bolts that held the seat in you could use to secure the floor to the vehicle.

I am going to design it in CAD and post pictures when the design is done.

Great to know about the articulation, though I'm unsure how much clearance I'd have running 285/55r22s; not to mention the shift points since re-gearing probably isn't an option. I may just put some 305/45r22s on it and call it good. Any advice?

I have run both tires. What would you like? Hardcore mud tires or the hybrid or all terrain tires?

305/45/22. Maintians the stock rim size of 33. Here I could not find a mud tire, so I went with a hybrid offroad tire. The Atturo XT tire. It served me well. Did not take a noticeable hit on mileage.

But after a while, I decided I wanted some really hardcore tires. I went with the 35" mud tires that I have now, which is the 285/55R22 that you are also asking about.

285/55/R22 comes with its pros and cons. Now I have mud tires and it gave me an inch of lift. BUT, the tires are heavy so I see a noticeable drop in mpg as the car works harder to turn them than the stock 33" size.. The tires rub on full lock each side. Well, I have fixed that problem. The tires do ride like normal all terrain tires. I have not taken it on trails for hardcore wheeling. I will be doing that in 3 weeks when I leave for my road trip into the Colorado Rockies.

Here is a link to my uild thread on clubarmada. You can read more about when I installed the 285/55R22...

My build thread and 35" installed on stock 2012 Infiniti QX56/80

Also, if you have time and want to check out my progress on my road trip which starts on July 8th, feel free to go to my road trip report and also see my past road trip reports in there when I took my QX on some very hardcore trails last year and the year before when I still have the 305/45R22. I put that tire on some hardcore trails and I have also done over 120mph with those tires. Tire performed flawless in both instances. But my new tires that are huge and 35", maximum rated speed is 100mph, I barely can come close to that these days

Here is the link to my road trip next month, where I will be posting a lot of pictures as it progresses...

My Road Trip, July 2019

Best looking QX56 I have ever seen second to mine. Well, what can I say, I like mine more. But I must give it to you, you have done an exceptional job. According to me, this is the best 2011 QX56 I have ever seen. Keep on sharing as often as you can. We have people on clubarmada forums talking about lifting their rigs, but everybody is still very cautious and waiting to see who will do it first/. Well, if they see yours, they will be more worried because you did not even go traditional. A lot of your things are custom. I like that. Keep up the great work.

Why didn't you go with Radflo UCA?

How is the ride in the rear of your QX with the body lift? I have never actually liked body lifts because I think they make the ride harsh. How does yours ride in the rear?

You have a really great setup. I will be following your thread for sure as I may use some ideas from you, just like the ones with all the lights in your trunk area. I like that.

Do you have a writeup to share? I would like such a mod. If you lived closer to me, I would be seeking your help often to mod mine more than the way it sits now.

Do you have a writeup for all that you used to achieve this? I have been wanting to increase my light in the trunk area but just did not know how to go about it. I actually have 4 usb rechargeable led lights that I use in the trunk area if I want a lot of light. I put 3m double sided tape on them and just stick them anywhere and take them off later. But I want something permanent and bright. Let me know if this is something that is easy to do.

leeleatherwood

I have run both tires. What would you like? Hardcore mud tires or the hybrid or all terrain tires?

305/45/22. Maintians the stock rim size of 33. Here I could not find a mud tire, so I went with a hybrid offroad tire. The Atturo XT tire. It served me well. Did not take a noticeable hit on mileage.

But after a while, I decided I wanted some really hardcore tires. I went with the 35" mud tires that I have now, which is the 285/55R22 that you are also asking about.

285/55/R22 comes with its pros and cons. Now I have mud tires and it gave me an inch of lift. BUT, the tires are heavy so I see a noticeable drop in mpg as the car works harder to turn them than the stock 33" size.. The tires rub on full lock each side. Well, I have fixed that problem. The tires do ride like normal all terrain tires. I have not taken it on trails for hardcore wheeling. I will be doing that in 3 weeks when I leave for my road trip into the Colorado Rockies.

Here is a link to my uild thread on clubarmada. You can read more about when I installed the 285/55R22...

My build thread and 35" installed on stock 2012 Infiniti QX56/80

Also, if you have time and want to check out my progress on my road trip which starts on July 8th, feel free to go to my road trip report and also see my past road trip reports in there when I took my QX on some very hardcore trails last year and the year before when I still have the 305/45R22. I put that tire on some hardcore trails and I have also done over 120mph with those tires. Tire performed flawless in both instances. But my new tires that are huge and 35", maximum rated speed is 100mph, I barely can come close to that these days

Here is the link to my road trip next month, where I will be posting a lot of pictures as it progresses...

My Road Trip, July 2019

Those Yokohama MT's look fantastic on the OEM 22" wheels. I like it alot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior