*** VAN HAS BEEN RECOVERED*** 4x4 Van STOLEN in Portland OR June 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
I will check out Ravelco for sure. Thanks for the tip!
Ravelcos not exactly crap, but not quite the superduper foolproof thing their literature describes them as.
If a guy has electrical skill and understands in general how they work, its fairly easy to defeat.

LD5050

Ravelcos not exactly crap, but not quite the superduper foolproof thing their literature describes them as.
If a guy has electrical skill and understands in general how they work, its fairly easy to defeat.
Please show me once single instance of a Ravelco system being defeated. You sound like you’re familiar with the brand, so I’d love to hear why you think it’s “not exactly crap”. I have no affiliation with them, but am particularly allergic to disinformation.
I actually laughed out loud at “fairly easy to defeat”

Verkstad

Raggarkung
Please show me once single instance of a Ravelco system being defeated.
Aside from claiming I did it myself, I cant show you.
20 some years past, part of my job was fleet supervisor for 45-50 electrician vans. A couple Ravelco fitted vans were transferred to me from Seattle. Being curious about it and having luxury of ignition key so no need to chisel out its lock cylinder. (also being prior mentioned guy with electrical skill...) I could take measurements of Ravelco pinout whilst switching on ’ign key to figure out how it worked.
Those specific installations, Ravelco pins interupted two circuits and had a single wire connected to negative. Presumably for randomly jumpering pins would eventually shortcircuit something and blow a fuse ?
You sound like you’re familiar with the brand, so I’d love to hear why you think it’s “not exactly crap”. I have no affiliation with them, but am particularly allergic to disinformation.
Its not crap. Its decent quality components. Its security is no hitechy mouseclicker magic, just relys on confusion. Most crooks are stupid and have no idea how something works. Anything outside their ”paint by numbers” theft routine and they are stumped.
But, a compentent guy, few minutes with a meter, basic idea of how it works, its not hard to figure out and bypass.
I actually laughed out loud at “fairly easy to defeat”
Laugh at a man with sense is the privilege of fools.

another_mike

Adventurer
20 some years past, part of my job was fleet supervisor for 45-50 electrician vans. A couple Ravelco fitted vans were transferred to me from Seattle. Being curious about it and having luxury of ignition key so no need to chisel out its lock cylinder. (also being prior mentioned guy with electrical skill...) I could take measurements of Ravelco pinout whilst switching on ’ign key to figure out how it worked.
Those specific installations, Ravelco pins interupted two circuits and had a single wire connected to negative. Presumably for randomly jumpering pins would eventually shortcircuit something and blow a fuse ?
Its not crap. Its decent quality components. Its security is no hitechy mouseclicker magic, just relys on confusion. Most crooks are stupid and have no idea how something works. Anything outside their ”paint by numbers” theft routine and they are stumped.
But, a compentent guy, few minutes with a meter, basic idea of how it works, its not hard to figure out and bypass.
In my 16 years as a law enforcement officer, I have yet to catch a criminal that chose a meter as their choice of burglary tools :p

The majority of thefts ive seen are unlocked cars that people leave their valet keys in their glove box.

The F series thefts are often punched key and ignition cylinders. Theyre often recovered trashed because they like to drive them through storefronts to drag away ATMs.

We actually had a VERY good burglar in this area a few years ago that was hitting high end homes during dinner time making off with more than a million in jewelry. His mo? dressed as a jogger wearing trendy workout clothes. He would find rich folks out to dinner and look through the windows til he could see the keypad and see if the LED was green or red (armed or disarmed). Because these homes were so large he would find an unlocked door or window then only steal good stuff. Sometimes it would be weeks before the victims knew property was missing.

My point? Like you said, crooks have a routine. Not all are stupid, but they want quick and easy. With so many other potential victims out there, its all about making them choose to move on to something easier.

LD5050

So you’ve never defeated one yourself, either. Got it. Just like all the other internet armchair-quarterbacks, you have an idea how the system works and you chime in with your opinion that it’s just a simple system that can be ‘easily defeated’. You still haven’t shown one instance of it being defeated, other than your ‘20 years ago’ supervisor job (where you got to see some Ravelco’s, not defeat one)
Yes, it’s a pretty simple idea of a system. And it does require a knowledgeable installer or it will not provide as much anti-theft protection. But if you’d actually researched or had any real-world experience with Ravelco, you’d know that. FYI, if they jump the wrong pin it immediately blows a fuse, not eventually (if installed correctly). I have spoken directly to ASE certified technicians who have massive professional shops at their disposal who could not bypass a Ravelco system, and they knew exactly how it worked.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I’m offering you $1k USD if you can defeat a Ravelco system WITH your favorite meter in under 2 hours.

You can have your own, uneducated opinion all day long. It’s when you start passing it off as fact that you get called out for it.

And here is my coffee-cup-words-of-wisdom rebuttal :LOL:

Think! I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Last edited:

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
So you’ve never defeated one yourself, either. Got it. Just like all the other internet armchair-quarterbacks, you have an idea how the system works and you chime in with your opinion that it’s just a simple system that can be ‘easily defeated’. You still haven’t shown one instance of it being defeated, other than your ‘20 years ago’ supervisor job (where you got to see some Ravelco’s, not defeat one)
Yes, it’s a pretty simple idea of a system. And it does require a knowledgeable installer or it will not provide as much anti-theft protection. But if you’d actually researched or had any real-world experience with Ravelco, you’d know that. FYI, if they jump the wrong pin it immediately blows a fuse, not eventually (if installed correctly). I have spoken directly to ASE certified technicians who have massive professional shops at their disposal who could not bypass a Ravelco system, and they knew exactly how it worked.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I’m offering you $1k USD if you can defeat a Ravelco system WITH your favorite meter in under 2 hours.

You can have your own, uneducated opinion all day long. It’s when you start passing it off as fact that you get called out for it.

And here is my coffee-cup-words-of-wisdom rebuttal :LOL:

Think! I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Is that cash offer open to others as well?

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Makes me want to sleep in my rig...i always think of Gone in 60 seconds. Somehow someway if some one wants your stuff its gone. And I agree with the ex LE guy. Thieves have schedules and prefer easy pickens. Water flows a path with least resistance right?

LD5050

Is that cash offer open to others as well?
Sure, but if you’re that serious about doing it you should just put up a youtube video since you’d be the first and would make more $ that way.
My comment was more intended to reveal the absurdity of describing the system as “easily defeated”
Read: I don’t care enough to set up the proper parameters and verifications to warrant an actual payout.
But yes, if push comes to shove I would very much back up my offer.

Betty Ford

We had a vehicle (Bad Betty) stolen from our shop last night and I wanted to get the word out. Please pass this along on any other Forums/Social Media etc. If you see the van please call the police immediately. Thanks to you all!

Taylor Hood

• ROAMERICA
  • Axis Vehicle Outfitters
We use a Ravelco too. I'm not advertising for them, just making a recommendation. Our Ford F-350 7.3L and camper, and home for 4 years were stolen from us last year. All the thieves needed was a straight bladed screwdriver and about 45 seconds to steal everything we owned. With the Ravelco I feel very confident that this won't happen again. Sure, if someone wants it bad enough they can always find a way (maybe a Chinook heavy lift helicopter and 20,000 lift straps?), but the Ravelco keeps the booger eating scum with a screwdriver from making off with your baby.

The time spent dealing with the cops, insurance, searching for a new truck and camper, DMV, probably amounted to 450-500 hours of my life. No fun!

The Ravelco cost $530 to install and I can sleep at night. Also we now have a Track 4 gps tracker and can set up a virtual "fence" around our truck. If the truck leaves that perimeter, we get a text.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
Water flows a path with least resistance right?
Water, just like electricity flows all paths available, not just the least resistive.
Thats part of the ”secret” of Ravelco being fairly easy to defeat.

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
We actually had a VERY good burglar in this area a few years ago that was hitting high end homes during dinner time making off with more than a million in jewelry. His mo? dressed as a jogger wearing trendy workout clothes. He would find rich folks out to dinner and look through the windows til he could see the keypad and see if the LED was green or red (armed or disarmed). Because these homes were so large he would find an unlocked door or window then only steal good stuff. Sometimes it would be weeks before the victims knew property was missing.

Don't leave us hanging...how did you catch him?

LD5050

Water, just like electricity flows all paths available, not just the least resistive.
Thats part of the ”secret” of Ravelco being fairly easy to defeat.
Keep calling it “easy to defeat” to make yourself feel better, it’s already been clearly proven that it is in fact quite the opposite.
There is no “secret” to Ravelco. They clearly state what they do and how they do it in all of their marketing material. You just think because you “know the magic secret” that the system doesn’t perform as advertised or is misleading when it claims to be theft-proof.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94