1993 Fuso FG Buy or Dont Buy?

Deasocld

I am looking at a 93 FG locally that has around 170k miles on it. It is in good shape as far as rust and the body. There are brand new bfg all around. It does need the syncros replaced on 1st and 2nd gear but is driveable. Its been a little tough finding the parts not to mention a tranny for one that old. But i did manage to find a shop that had the parts. He only wants $4000. Seems fair to me. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190202_080711.jpg
    thumbnail_20190202_080711.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 74

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Good old truck
What rims?
5 spd box?
1st gear may not have syncro ???
As you would normally take off in 2nd gear it may not cause too much trouble ,change the gearbox oil and see what it looks like.
Look under the floor mat for rust .
is he open to offers???

dZak

They don't have synchro in first gear. I modified my gearbox with a Jap import parts to get synchro in 1st & reverse

Deasocld

Good old truck
What rims?
5 spd box?
1st gear may not have syncro ???
As you would normally take off in 2nd gear it may not cause too much trouble ,change the gearbox oil and see what it looks like.
Look under the floor mat for rust .
is he open to offers???
Itaeems like a good truck for the money I think. It has the 5 speed and the stock steel wheels with duals. I was thinking about the gear oil also. I was also wondering about adjusting the clutch if possible? Good idea about the floor mats.

Deasocld

They don't have synchro in first gear. I modified my gearbox with a Jap import parts to get synchro in 1st & reverse
If they don't have a syncro for 1st it makes me wonder why it isn't shifting right, maybe an clutch adjustment?

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Shifting into or out of 1ST gear?
I very rarely use 1St most of the time take off in 2nd.

Does it change into all other gears ok?
Any clutch fluid leaking from master or slave cylinders??

Deasocld

Shifting into or out of 1ST gear?
I very rarely use 1St most of the time take off in 2nd.

Does it change into all other gears ok?
Any clutch fluid leaking from master or slave cylinders??
I haven't driven it yet. I'm hoping to this weekend or next. I'm just going by what the owner has told me. He said he took it for a 45 min drive a few days ago and it did fine? It just sounds like 1st and 2nd are the problem but he didn't elaborate. I know I would rarely need 1st gear. Hopefully when I check it out I can tell if it's the slave cylinder or something else.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Not having a 1st gear synchro has not been a problem for me. They designed it to use a full width gear for first, which is when you are putting the most strain on the transmission. I lost my 4th gear synchro - it took me a little while to get used to it, but now I hardly notice having to double clutch through it.

My advice would be to use the 2nd gear problem to negotiate on price, but don't bother to fix it unless you have to pull the transmission for some other reason (like renewing the clutch, etc). "Real" truckers rowing their way through an 18-speed non-synchro box laugh at us sissy boys with synchros, anyways. :)

dlh62c

Explorer
Keep in mind these trucks are considered commercial, so check with your insurance carrier for coverage. For some reason insurance underwriters have trust issues when you tell them you purchased a commercial vehicle for personal use.

Will this truck be registered in the state of California?

In 2020 registration of pre-2011 diesel trucks with a GVWR between 14,001lbs and 26,000lbs will become problematic in California.

Last edited:

Deasocld

Keep in mind these trucks are considered commercial, so check with your insurance carrier for coverage. For some reason insurance underwriters have trust issues when you tell them you purchased a commercial vehicle for personal use.

Will this truck be registered in the state of California?

In 2020 registration of pre-2011 diesel trucks with a GVWR between 14,001lbs and 26,000lbs will become problematic in California.

Thanks for the info! Thats a good point about insurance. I hope the insurance won't be a problem. I'll have to talk to my brother about who is insuring his FG. Maybe I can put it on my American Modern insurance with my other older cars since its over 25 years old and would be considered a classic car in Washington state. I could even get collector vehicle plates.
I guess thats good for the environment but that's pretty bad for all the older diesel vehicle owners.That a massive expense for a lot of folks. I'll have to look into WA laws. It would suck to buy a rig I couldn't even drive.

dZak

I am just wondering... in what situation do you envisage needing syncro in reverse?
Reverse syncro is needed to hold the inserts for 1st gear from falling out as they share the same gearset.
Not much use otherwise, however when Nissan brought it out in their Y60 Patrols they recon it was good for rocking yourself out of a bog.
1st syncro is good on the beach as you don't have to come to a complete stop to drop back to first when your bogging down.

Operator

I'm in need of a reverse-first synchro!
The local shop has tracked down the 2nd-3rd synchro but tell me they can't locate the other.
Could anyone shoot me in the right direction?
Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles