pic request if you carry the spare inside

bluejeep

just a guy
ever since i got the luxury of more room by purchasing a jeep LJ, i have moved my spare inside. This is for several reasons including getting that weight (approx 100 pounds) more forward and lower and avoiding digging the spare into the ground on abrupt inclines, possibly damaging other things.

Now i am looking to flip it up instead of laying it down. Yes cog is impacted but i am ok with the trade off of having more storage space on the floor. In fact some of my stuff in Wolf boxes are heavy and will now be lower instead of on my interior rack so cog will most likely turn out to be lower anyway.

I am looking for pics of others that store their spare inside, especially those who store it vertically versus lying down.

bluejeep

just a guy
This is my implementation - solid as a rock, relatively easy to move in / out, not in way of my vision at all, leaves lots of long usable space beside it and a good amount of space behind it for other things. Cover from Smittybilt, tie-down system from cabelas (originally for a side by side or ATV, plus added longer straps and hardware from Strapworks)527035527036527037527038

akpostal

Adventurer
This is my implementation - solid as a rock, relatively easy to move in / out, not in way of my vision at all, leaves lots of long usable space beside it and a good amount of space behind it for other things. Cover from Smittybilt, tie-down system from cabelas (originally for a side by side or ATV, plus added longer straps and hardware from Strapworks)

Pull the tire out and show pics of the whole mount setup thingy please. I like the end result just need to see the whole thinger.

bluejeep

just a guy
I won't be home for a few days, but here's a pic where you can see what I used. I just placed the 2 units next to each other which is why you see 2 straps over the tire, bolted thru the floor, Made a cut in the carpet, tucked it underneath in case I ever 'undo' this I won't have a hole in the carpet.527149

rayra

Expedition Leader
add a zipper across the face of that tire cover and you could recoup a lot of storage volume inside the back of the rim

bluejeep

just a guy
add a zipper across the face of that tire cover and you could recoup a lot of storage volume inside the back of the rim
that's a good idea, next time I am at my sister's place I will do that (she's sews a lot of outdoor things)

akpostal

Adventurer
I won't be home for a few days, but here's a pic where you can see what I used. I just placed the 2 units next to each other which is why you see 2 straps over the tire, bolted thru the floor, Made a cut in the carpet, tucked it underneath in case I ever 'undo' this I won't have a hole in the carpet.

Thanks I wasnt sure if thats what you used. You already have a cover and a seamstress to add a zipper, Ive been meaning to get this cover for mine.

I'd like to see the "shelves/plates" you have behind the tire, do they help support the tire in anyway? I can see storing a bottle jack and sand stand back there as well as a second battery.

bluejeep

just a guy
I'd like to see the "shelves/plates" you have behind the tire, do they help support the tire in anyway? I can see storing a bottle jack and sand stand back there as well as a second battery.
on the shelves, that's a funny story, and probably one of the best mods I've done without realizing it. Late last fall I was packing for a solo run thru the rubicon (from Galveston!) and noticed that I could make a rather nice increase in storage 'neatness' and 'secure-ness' if the tops of the wheel wells were flat. I had some 1/4" plastic (seaboard?) from a previous project and just heated it up, bent it 90 deg over the workbench edge and wedged the top down with a piece of wood (you can see that in the pics). Thought I would try it. Drove around a bit with this 'temp' situation, and forgot to go back to fasten them down. In the meantime I was able to place my 12v Dometic frig and my 12v Engel frig on top of the passenger side (front portion had a 90 deg vertical section plus flat top, back section had just a flat piece of plastic, no bent vertical section, cause I ran out of material), then on the driver side front section I permanently mounted my 110v air compressor above and my air hose recoiling thingy below, and stored misc things on top of the back section. Tied things down using some existing holes and a strap from front rollbar to rear rollbar (for the frigs) and off I went. Everything stayed in place thru the entire road trip as well as the rubicon itself, and I've never gone back to make it more permanent (I will tho).

On the drivers side, the tire does touch the upright portion of the shelfs, but its merely to maximize space usage. I would say they don't actually help hold the tire up because I have no strap tieing the tire to them, and I can't wobble the tire side to side even away from the shelf vertical portion .

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_1816138.jpg
    IMG_20190715_1816138.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190715_1816303.jpg
    IMG_20190715_1816303.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles