Denied bringing a rifle into Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnArmy

Adventurer
So... I was going to spend a week up in Canada. I was entering via the Sumas border crossing (in WA), and going as far north as Whitehorse (a four day drive from the border), and then turning around and driving four days back. I was pre-running part of a trip I'm leading next month to the Arctic Ocean via the Dempster Highway.

Anyways, I had all my paperwork in order for my Marlin lever action 45-70 Guide Gun, and the clerk lady was asking me where I was going and such. When I told her I was going as far north as Whitehorse, she denied my application. Said I wasn't going "remote" enough, and that Whitehorse is a big city with a hospital. There was no discussing the fact I would be driving four days to get there in some pretty remote areas, and four days back. So I had to backtrack to a town to store my rifle while I was gone (cost $25 to store for a week), and then go back through the border crossing.

I've brought rifles and shotguns into Canada before with no issue, but have never had them make a judgement call as to if I really was going to an area that justified having them.

And they inspected my vehicle and trailer when they denied my application, and again when I went back through the border crossing into Canada later that morning after dropping off my rifle.

So take-home message: If going through a border crossing into Canada, make sure you tell them you will be going to very remote areas, will not be camping at established campgrounds, etc. It left a very sour taste in my mouth for the whole time I was in Canada.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You are not allowed to use a firearm in self defence of a wild animal according to Canadian authorities as told to me. Had you been driving to Alaska there would not have been an issue. Only if you tell the Canadian Officer you are transporting the weapon to Alaska. If you say self defence that is a disqualifier.

I had no issues bringing my 870 and 45/70 Guide gun into Canada. We crossed into Canada four different time on our trip last year.

scanny

Observer
Canadian firearms laws are funny. You are not allowed to have a firearm for the purpose of self defence, but you are allowed to defend yourself using lethal force if your life or life others is in imminent danger. So if you happened to have a firearm for hunting or target shooting it will be fine to kill wild animal if it attacks you. You might be allowed to have a non-restricted firearm for wildlife protection (not self defence by any means - funny eh) but in this case you have to be going in remote area. But "remote area" definition is vague and it's up to officials to decide if the area is remote enough.

billiebob

So... I was going to spend a week up in Canada. I was entering via the Sumas border crossing (in WA), and going as far north as Whitehorse (a four day drive from the border), and then turning around and driving four days back. I was pre-running part of a trip I'm leading next month to the Arctic Ocean via the Dempster Highway.

Anyways, I had all my paperwork in order for my Marlin lever action 45-70 Guide Gun, and the clerk lady was asking me where I was going and such. When I told her I was going as far north as Whitehorse, she denied my application. Said I wasn't going "remote" enough, and that Whitehorse is a big city with a hospital. There was no discussing the fact I would be driving four days to get there in some pretty remote areas, and four days back. So I had to backtrack to a town to store my rifle while I was gone (cost $25 to store for a week), and then go back through the border crossing.

I've brought rifles and shotguns into Canada before with no issue, but have never had them make a judgement call as to if I really was going to an area that justified having them.

And they inspected my vehicle and trailer when they denied my application, and again when I went back through the border crossing into Canada later that morning after dropping off my rifle.

So take-home message: If going through a border crossing into Canada, make sure you tell them you will be going to very remote areas, will not be camping at established campgrounds, etc. It left a very sour taste in my mouth for the whole time I was in Canada.
Quit yer whining, if I'm going to the USA and I say yes, when they ask have I ever in my 64 years smoked a joint, you guys give us Canadians a lifetime ban.... fer smoking a joint in university.

Why do you need a rifle, I lived up there for 10 years, I've never had nor needed a gun. In 64 years I have never fired a gun. Personally, I wish we would just turn everyone back with a firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles