Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Sixinarow

Adventurer
View attachment 528326

Been living out of this since the beginning of the year. Finally got the lift, transfer case, and rear driveshaft installed last week. Now I just need to get the exhaust and front driveshaft made up and the 4x4 will be complete! Been a great rig so far...base is a 2006 Ford E350 Vanterra with the 5speed trans and V10 engine.

Sweet. That's exactly what I'm wanting.

CSG

Explorer
Dispersed campsite in Sawtooth NRA:

48446146611_0a622012d8_h.jpg

National Forest campsite in Oregon:

48337310102_c6707a5436_h.jpg

MaxSpeed

I saw this little beauty behind the Avon in Silverton a few weeks back.

That blue VW van is far from stock judging by the five lug wheels versus the stock "wide four" configuration. Possibly a some Subaru drivetrain parts under there since the motor still looks to be in the rear. "Someone put in the wrench time!"

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
My trusty 2008 GMC Savana, long wheelbase, 6.6 Duramax, currently 410,000 miles:

roaddude_gmc-snow-8822.jpg
One a them Maine wintahs, dont ya know.

lakecharles_0462-1028.jpg
Cleaning off in Lake Charles, Louisiana

vaninterior-181127_7050-1000.jpg
Most recent van interior setup. This was in the Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.

I've had a number of vans over the years, some with just a platform bed, some with counters and sink and pull out desk, etc, and have evolved to having this type of arrangement now as most flexible and easily modified, depending on task at hand.

The bed seen in the rear of this image is a simple folding bed board supported by the side cabinets under each end and one box under the center. It can go anywhere along the length of the van, or down either side. I have another folding bed board and mattress I bring along if my kid or someone else is joining me, in which case a bed goes down each side, keeping full pass through from front to rear.

I have two 8' lengths of e-track under the removable indoor-outdoor carpet on the floor and the whole thing can be emptied in minutes, should I want to haul cargo, help someone move, or have a gig helping build an off-grid home and need to carry tools and materials. I can haul 12' lumber and still close the rear doors.

On the other side of the white half-bulkhead you see to left rear is about 3' feet to the front seats, easily accessible from the side door when I have the bed set up this way. If I want more "living space" on the other side of the bed while en route and using truck stops or rest areas for sleeping, I just slide the bed back however far I need. I can simply step from front seat to the bed area without getting out.

nhlakecamping_7753-1028.jpg
New Hampshire lake camping

I travel solo and am usually out for many months at a time. I typically use the rooftop tent for sleeping when camping, even just for one night, and the van more for when I'm on the road or in the city. Though depending on where I am in the country, I sometimes have family or friends join me for a night or several. Guests always get the rooftop tent and I take the van, in that case.

In the image below, my kid and I were camping on a friend's farm in Vermont for just the night. I didn't need to deploy the awning so didn't bother to even raise the rack and RTT.
vtjungle_8976-1028.jpg
In the Jungles of Vermont

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles