Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

sn_85

Observer
I agree. I was leaning towards keeping it and finishing the build until I did a cost analysis yesterday between it, a new Power Wagon and a new diesel Super Duty. It’s crazy to think that those trucks which sticker for $20K+ more are actually cheaper to modify with comparable parts and almost half the price. That was eye opening and has almost certainly sealed the deal on the 4Runners fate, she’s getting axed. Now to choose between the PW and the SD. The diesel lover in me is finding it hard to accept another gasser PW but the PW is a great buy and will do 98% of what I need from a truck. That diesel though.

Yea. I have a lead on a buddies LHD diesel troopy, I’m just waiting on him to be ready to sell.

I need to get to a place where my wheeler isn’t my DD.

And just like that it's over!!! I must admit that I've put in waaaay too much money into my 4Runner than I should ever have. It is the first vehicle I've ever built up to be off-road capable and I think I just sort of fell into the rabbit hole. The mods came slowly and over time but they do add up. I think at this point I have at least $12k into the rig with more coming. I guess that's all part of the building and learning process. My previous two vehicles a 2007 Tacoma and 2013 4Runner were all stock so this is all new to me. That being said even if I switched platforms and went to a Land Cruiser, Tundra, Ram, Wrangler, or Gladiator the same thing would happen. Except the starting cost would be higher. The only thing I could think of that I would do differently would have been to keep the 2013 4Runne or (I ditched it because at that time I didn't see the Limited as a capable off-roader and switched it for a Trail *doh!!!*) or buy a used GX460.

Currently I don't see a perfect platform for my likes and needs. DD, adventure, and wheeling rig. If Toyota ever did something fun and released a US spec 70 series Troopy that would be my ultimate dream vehicle/build. I don't ever see that happening. The one thing I wish Toyota did was provide more options from the factory. How about an alternator upgrade, factory gear options like a 4.10 or 4.30 that you can select, factory lift kits, and other off-road options. Basically the same fun that can be had when you spec out a RAM or Jeep product. Toyota needs to bring back the fun factor and passion into their vehicles. The market is extremely hot right now and a basic canned TRD Pro is not going to excite people. I wish Toyota would just dedicate one vehicle as their playful fun rig where you can add whatever the hell options you want to it. The 4Runner is the perfect platform for that imo because of where it sits. If you want MPG and a family hauler get a Highlander. If you are a millennial get a RAV4. For the soccer mom and extended family trips there's the Sequoia. For those with deep pockets that simply want the best and those who are unwilling to mod a brand new $90k truck there's the Land Cruiser. Then you have the 4Runner which doesn't quite fit anywhere but people still love it. Toyota needs to accept that it's a brute and transform the 6th gen 4R into a Wrangler competitor or an 80 series throwback. Still don't see that happening but hopefully that have something fun down the pipeline.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I am leaning towards King's should I keep it and move that direction with the build, I already have the quote and shop lined up locally to do the work. I really want to do bumpers and a winch more but I need the appropriate coils and suspension in order to handle the extra weight so it makes more sense to do the suspension first. TC UCA's $700, King's $2800, BMC $200, labor $800, it adds up fast and that's for a small 2.5-3" kit to clear 285/75's lol. Another $3K in five wheels and tires on top of that so $7500 just to do the proper lift and wheels/tires, crazy money and actually more than what I'd spend on a comparable lift for a PW or SD with 37's lol, damn IFS. Toss on another $5K+ for bumpers and a winch, you do it all and I am looking at north of $16K for a build and that doesn't include the sliders and rack I already have nor am I tallying up lights or skid plates. It's nuts when I type it all out and look at it haha.

I heard something similar in regards to the 6th Gen power plant, a hybrid or eco boost style 4cyl. Sadly these 5th Gens will be the last of the simple trucks with very little tech to crap out and/or complicate matters. That's one of the main reasons for considering keeping it.

You don't need such an expensive suspension. I got an Eibach kit through wheelers and replaced the back springs with stiffer OME springs 8295's. ($1050). Put on JBA upper control arms ($449) which are cheaper than TC and very high quality with easily replaceable joints and all pivot points have zerk fittings. Another $95 to have wheelers assemble the coilovers.
Added durobumps front and rear which added another $250. Rides awesome and the Eibach front coils are 660lbs. The shock preload can be adjusted for heavier loads. I put them on myself with a friend. No it isn't Kings but it works great, love the ride.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
And just like that it's over!!! I must admit that I've put in waaaay too much money into my 4Runner than I should ever have. It is the first vehicle I've ever built up to be off-road capable and I think I just sort of fell into the rabbit hole. The mods came slowly and over time but they do add up. I think at this point I have at least $12k into the rig with more coming. I guess that's all part of the building and learning process. My previous two vehicles a 2007 Tacoma and 2013 4Runner were all stock so this is all new to me. That being said even if I switched platforms and went to a Land Cruiser, Tundra, Ram, Wrangler, or Gladiator the same thing would happen. Except the starting cost would be higher. The only thing I could think of that I would do differently would have been to keep the 2013 4Runne or (I ditched it because at that time I didn't see the Limited as a capable off-roader and switched it for a Trail *doh!!!*) or buy a used GX460.

Currently I don't see a perfect platform for my likes and needs. DD, adventure, and wheeling rig. If Toyota ever did something fun and released a US spec 70 series Troopy that would be my ultimate dream vehicle/build. I don't ever see that happening. The one thing I wish Toyota did was provide more options from the factory. How about an alternator upgrade, factory gear options like a 4.10 or 4.30 that you can select, factory lift kits, and other off-road options. Basically the same fun that can be had when you spec out a RAM or Jeep product. Toyota needs to bring back the fun factor and passion into their vehicles. The market is extremely hot right now and a basic canned TRD Pro is not going to excite people. I wish Toyota would just dedicate one vehicle as their playful fun rig where you can add whatever the hell options you want to it. The 4Runner is the perfect platform for that imo because of where it sits. If you want MPG and a family hauler get a Highlander. If you are a millennial get a RAV4. For the soccer mom and extended family trips there's the Sequoia. For those with deep pockets that simply want the best and those who are unwilling to mod a brand new $90k truck there's the Land Cruiser. Then you have the 4Runner which doesn't quite fit anywhere but people still love it. Toyota needs to accept that it's a brute and transform the 6th gen 4R into a Wrangler competitor or an 80 series throwback. Still don't see that happening but hopefully that have something fun down the pipeline.

It's not exactly over just yet. I have been looking these past few days. I test drove a new 2019 Power Wagon and a 2019 2500 Laramie Longhorn diesel 4x4 along with looking at some 2019 F-250's (Lariat and King Ranch). Even with discounts and rebates you're still looking at $65K or more for a nicely equipped diesel truck and the Power Wagon was $55K discounted pretty deep. I'd enjoy another PW but I know I'd end up with buyers remorse in the end because a diesel is what I seek for my towing needs here in a few years. I am just not sure I can stomach $65K+ anymore and the diesel trucks just don't hold their value like one would expect. I guess it's all relative when you see $60K Jeep Gladiators and $50K Tacomas and 4Runners, the days of a nicely equipped vehicle for under $40K are gone for the most part.

I am not sure where this will go but I am open to waiting until year end to be able to see the new Super Duty and the Tremor package along with where the prices on these trucks go by years end. I know that my 4Runner will be worth within $1K of where it currently sits next year even with 10K more miles on it. The key here is to try and not focus on wanting to move on from it or putting more money into it both of which I suck at.

The 4Runner is a fantastic vehicle, its reliable, does great off-road, perfect size for most needs, I can sleep in it when I am camping/hunting/wheeling, they hold their value extremely well, and need very little maintenance. But it's not a truck, it doesn't tow much or very well for that matter, it seems like everyone has one, they are somewhat boring and soulless, and I hate being just like the masses. Some days I wish I were soulless cuck that didn't give a crap about these kinds of things and was content with driving a Honda Civic lol.

Wallygator

Adventurer
It's not exactly over just yet. I have been looking these past few days. I test drove a new 2019 Power Wagon and a 2019 2500 Laramie Longhorn diesel 4x4 along with looking at some 2019 F-250's (Lariat and King Ranch). Even with discounts and rebates you're still looking at $65K or more for a nicely equipped diesel truck and the Power Wagon was $55K discounted pretty deep. I'd enjoy another PW but I know I'd end up with buyers remorse in the end because a diesel is what I seek for my towing needs here in a few years. I am just not sure I can stomach $65K+ anymore and the diesel trucks just don't hold their value like one would expect. I guess it's all relative when you see $60K Jeep Gladiators and $50K Tacomas and 4Runners, the days of a nicely equipped vehicle for under $40K are gone for the most part.

I am not sure where this will go but I am open to waiting until year end to be able to see the new Super Duty and the Tremor package along with where the prices on these trucks go by years end. I know that my 4Runner will be worth within $1K of where it currently sits next year even with 10K more miles on it. The key here is to try and not focus on wanting to move on from it or putting more money into it both of which I suck at.

The 4Runner is a fantastic vehicle, its reliable, does great off-road, perfect size for most needs, I can sleep in it when I am camping/hunting/wheeling, they hold their value extremely well, and need very little maintenance. But it's not a truck, it doesn't tow much or very well for that matter, it seems like everyone has one, they are somewhat boring and soulless, and I hate being just like the masses. Some days I wish I were soulless cuck that didn't give a crap about these kinds of things and was content with driving a Honda Civic lol.

Yeah that's a large amount of money. I go through this also but with the prices of todays vehicles it's getting less and less common. The 4 does everything I need it to and with my 5x10 utility trailer it handles the truck duties I currently have. I don't see myself needing to tow a large camper or whatever unless I decide to go traveling for my job. If that day comes I will still buy a work grade tow vehicle. It's amazing how fast the price climbs adding packages/upgrade in trim to these trucks. When it comes down to it, all I would need to get the job done would be an XL with the 7.3 gas motor. Do I want the big diesel and massively sweet torque? Sure, who wouldn't? But I surely don't need that to get the job done and if I can save $20K getting the gas XL vs the diesel Lariat, for example, well $20K buys a lot of things.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The gasser won't tug 20,000lbs so a diesel will be needed for my personal demands. That said, I can certainly get by with an XL or Tradesman trim truck and that is something I am considering more and more. At the end of the day you are paying $20-30K more simply for electric doodads and comforts. The price of these high trim trucks has gotten out of hand.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If that's the case, what about buying a low mileage used truck and let someone else take the depreciation hit?

It's being considered along with a low trim truck that I can get in the mid $40's. I can add the few items I want to it out of pocket over time and still have my needs met with the diesel power plant.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Posted the 4Runner up for sale in the classifieds. Testing the waters!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So are you scrapping the idea of purchasing a new truck now?

More or less delaying it. Keeping the 4Runner, continue to use and build and work towards paying it off in the next 24 months. I will add a truck to the mix late next year, more than likely a stripped down model as it'll be used sparingly while the 4Runner remains the daily and weekend adventure rig.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Got some of these puppies coming. SCS SR8 17x8.5 4.30/-10 in Matte Gunmetal with Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/70/17. Scored a new one for a deal already mounted for the spare, the other four wheels are coming direct from SCS and the tires I'll pick up at Discount where I'll have them mounted.

I haven't been the biggest Nitto advocate in the past but I am going to give them a chance here. Lots of happy buyers/reviews and many say they ride better/smoother than the KO2's. I like the look and they give me a nice hybrid tread so hopefully they still perform well in the sand (similar to the RT's I ran in the past and they did well in all conditions). As long as I get 30-35K miles out of them I'll be happy. Maybe then it'll be time to move up to a 34" or possibly slightly larger?!

kkzekMy.jpg

5XPjb2U.jpg

0uRwUi6.jpg

Lucky3

If you go with the Kings you won't be disappointed. We've had Kings on my wife's 4runner for a while and they have been great. I had an FJ cruiser that I put Icons on and the Kings are a huge step up.
I have a 2018 Power Wagon.
We should get a group PINS trip going sometime.
00023a5a008b7e3e63ca7420f60acdcd.jpg
3cb54772133f3cd38ca006928277c41d.jpg

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If you go with the Kings you won't be disappointed. We've had Kings on my wife's 4runner for a while and they have been great. I had an FJ cruiser that I put Icons on and the Kings are a huge step up.
I have a 2018 Power Wagon.
We should get a group PINS trip going sometime.
00023a5a008b7e3e63ca7420f60acdcd.jpg
3cb54772133f3cd38ca006928277c41d.jpg

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I had Icons on both of my FJC's and on one of my Super Duties, I'll never use them again, leaky junk. I've run Fox coil overs on lots of vehicles and they perform well but they aren't quite up to King levels. I am most likely going to go with King's but I have to cross shop for my own sanity and who knows, sometimes you learn something you didn't know.

Nice to hear in regards to your wife's 4Runner and the PW, we miss our PW from time to time. I'd love to see some pics of your 4Runner build. In regards to PINS, I have a group going the first weekend in November, if you're interested in joining us be sure to drop me a PM and we can link up. Whereabouts are you located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior