Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

My mom always had a thin sliver of ivory bar soap that she used to mark hems and cut lines. Washes right out and leaves no residue. Works best on darker fabrics, but pretty easy to see even on khakis. It also comes in handy to “wax” thin thread to get it through the needle eyes.

alexcivick

Observer
I just picked up a Singer 301A so I can get away from my basics Brother home machine I have been using. It’s a straight stitch machine and it does that very well and it’s pretty strong too has no issues with heavier canvas and leather. And it was like 30 bucks from a local listing. I found another 301 for 20 bucks with a long bed I’ll be picking up too just because I love them. I had been looking for industrial machines but I’m actually glad to use this older consumer machine as a transition I have actually learned a ton from just trial and error.

The Brother machine I started with is okay but it was weak and constantly needed re-adjustment and re threading and I spent more time just setting up than I did running it

Attachments

• 78C78198-2825-452D-83FB-21F3E5732A8D.jpeg
    78C78198-2825-452D-83FB-21F3E5732A8D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I just picked up a Singer 301A so I can get away from my basics Brother home machine I have been using. It’s a straight stitch machine and it does that very well and it’s pretty strong too has no issues with heavier canvas and leather. And it was like 30 bucks from a local listing. I found another 301 for 20 bucks with a long bed I’ll be picking up too just because I love them. I had been looking for industrial machines but I’m actually glad to use this older consumer machine as a transition I have actually learned a ton from just trial and error.

The Brother machine I started with is okay but it was weak and constantly needed re-adjustment and re threading and I spent more time just setting up than I did running it

Nice machines! I started on a Brother that I bought in a garage sale. That poor thing was forced to things it was never designed to do! But, like you, it taught me a lot. Good luck!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Or jewish carpenters ;)

Onto the sewing project list, the compartmented 'parachute' bag for nails or screws

rayra

Expedition Leader
what do you think, a heavy waxed canvas, or 1000D? If I ever find some proper soft real brass grommets, it would be an easy project. I use a pool chlorine table bucket with a bunch of viewtainers in it, mostly. When I'm not buying deck and coated screws in their own 5# plastic tubs.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
what do you think, a heavy waxed canvas, or 1000D? If I ever find some proper soft real brass grommets, it would be an easy project. I use a pool chlorine table bucket with a bunch of viewtainers in it, mostly. When I'm not buying deck and coated screws in their own 5# plastic tubs.

While both materials would work equally well from a strength/durability standpoint, I personally would go with waxed canvas for theway it patinas with age. Canvas just looks cool as it collects dust and dirt, where nylon just looks grimy. Good luck.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
@BritKLR
I know this is off subject, but may I ask the history of the machinist box in this photo.

I’m a sucker for finger joints.
This was my first attempt at a similarly designed box.
View attachment 535526

We now return to our originally scheduled programming

That's a beautiful looking machinists box! My box was my fathers. He got it 65 years ago as a young tool and die apprentice in Hull, England. It was manufactured by a company in Sheffield, England along with all his measuring tools. He kept it through his entire career in England and when we immigrated to the US in 1969 and used it the rest of his life in his manufacturing company. I always loved looking in the little drawers as a young boy and admiring all the delicate measuring tools he kept in it. When he passed I was given it by my mother and now it stores all my sewing tools, pieces and parts. I also still use many of his machinist rulers, calipers and die blocks in my patterning. I plan on handing it down to my son. Cheers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke