Combo Water Boiler/Furnace Heater Now Here in N. America

cobratom

Approved Vendor
Found this post on my Class B Forum....this interesting, space saving product may be of interest to some of you DYI’ers?

Truma Combi 4 Propane Combination Water Boiler and Furnace Heater Now Available in US and Canada

“Now available to the North American market to the aftermarket!
Previously these units were only available to OEM's but we have a access to complete Truma Combi Kits (at a significantly lower price than importing from the EU, and these units are actually approved for us in US and Canadian RV's.”

More information available here:
http://www.trumaheaters.com

These are Gas (Propane) and they have limited availability of Dual Propane + 120VAC units as well.

Re-Posted from the Class B (camper vans) Forum
Discount code for ClassBForum Members $50 OFF "classb"
Thank you for the shout out, we are actually a forum sponsor here and expeditonportal has its own discount code:

cobratom

Approved Vendor
~$2,200 may seem a bit pricey. But try building a system for making hot water and air that is anywhere near the compact. You would likely need 2-3x the space for a american style RV water heater and furnace. Both would require large cut-outs in the side of the vehicle. While the Truma unit can vent through the floor or wall with a much smaller footprint. Plus the variable output means much less cycling for heating the cabin.

Cost wise you would still spend $1k in materials minimum, plus your time/labor to install.

I just wanted to clarify a few things regarding price and installation.

The Basic Combi eco (without Electric Option) is $1795 Less a $50 Discount for ExpeditionPortal Members, Making it $1745, and the expense break down is as follows:
$1745 Final Cost including shipping
~$45 Paypal or Credit Card processing Fees
~$150 UPS Shipping from Ontario, Canada to Most US destinations (Box is 27x20x18 and 50lbs), plus it ships insured

Making this units true cost if you were to pick it up from our warehouse here in Ontario, Canada $1550 USD.

We are also including several optional accessories to allow for a easier install for our end users. If someone did not want these accessories, we can create a package to remove them, and provide a basic kit like it would be available from Truma in the EU. (Optional accessories include clamps, safety pressure valve, water pressure regulator, 12mm to 1/2" adapters)

The 120V heating element adds a premium to that price as its available quantity is much lower.

Both would require large cut-outs in the side of the vehicle. While the Truma unit can vent through the floor or wall with a much smaller footprint.

Just wanted to touch on this, the Combi can not be vented outside through the floor, it must be vented above the unit, so a wall cutout is almost always required, but yes, it just requires a 3-1/4" Hole.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...The Basic Combi eco (without Electric Option) is $1795 Less a $50 Discount for ExpeditionPortal Members, Making it $1745, and the expense break down is as follows:
$1745 Final Cost including shipping
~$45 Paypal or Credit Card processing Fees
~$150 UPS Shipping from Ontario, Canada to Most US destinations (Box is 27x20x18 and 50lbs), plus it ships insured

Making this units true cost if you were to pick it up from our warehouse here in Ontario, Canada $1550 USD...

Your website advertises free shipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190827-213529_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-213529_Chrome.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 22

cobratom

Approved Vendor
Your website advertises free shipping.
I think you may have misread my reply, Yes, shipping and Paypal fees are free to you, but they come at a cost to me, I am just clarifying the cost of the unit because many people may not realize that $200 or so of the total cost goes towards shipping and fees.

cobratom

Approved Vendor
You do realize this is an imported product, right?
This is definitely an imported product, but it is 100% for the US/Canadian market and has Intertek and CSA approvals.
This is not a import of a European certified product, but rather one manufactured specifically for this market.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I recently installed a tankless water heater in my house and have noticed that a lot of water goes down the drain waiting for it to get hot. I suspect that this might be a similar issue with this unit since it appears that it heats water on demand rather than heating a tank full of water and keeping it hot until you need it. While this is more energy (propane) efficient it wastes a lot of water. We keep a bucket in the shower and use the water to water plants so not a big problem in the house.

In my rig its a different story I have never run out of propane in my 2 - 20# tanks but I have run low on water (33 gal fresh water tank + 6 gal hot water tank + 2.4 gal creek fill casette toilet tank ) on long trips especially in hot weather. It would be great to free up the space but not if I just need to add fresh water storage plus grey water tanks space to make it work in the real world.

Perhaps Truma can comment on this. Am I understanding it correctly that this is similar to a domestic heat on demand water heater?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
This is definitely an imported product, but it is 100% for the US/Canadian market and has Intertek and CSA approvals.
This is not a import of a European certified product, but rather one manufactured specifically for this market.
My point was to the person suggesting the EPA under Trump would be lax on profitable ventures that the profits in this case would benefit foreign companies so the EPA would actually be less likely to turn a blind eye, not moreso.

Alloy

I recently installed a tankless water heater in my house and have noticed that a lot of water goes down the drain waiting for it to get hot. I suspect that this might be a similar issue with this unit since it appears that it heats water on demand rather than heating a tank full of water and keeping it hot until you need it. While this is more energy (propane) efficient it wastes a lot of water. We keep a bucket in the shower and use the water to water plants so not a big problem in the house.

In my rig its a different story I have never run out of propane in my 2 - 20# tanks but I have run low on water (33 gal fresh water tank + 6 gal hot water tank + 2.4 gal creek fill casette toilet tank ) on long trips especially in hot weather. It would be great to free up the space but not if I just need to add fresh water storage plus grey water tanks space to make it work in the real world.

Perhaps Truma can comment on this. Am I understanding it correctly that this is similar to a domestic heat on demand water heater?

I installed a 12v circulation pump on a timer that brings hot water up to the taps. Our home has the same system with a 110V circ pump.

cobratom

Approved Vendor

No, that is not the case at all.
This is not a tankless water heater.
The unit has a 10L (2.64 Gallon) Stainless tank around the burner. The control panel will let you know when the water is to temperature, and then it will continue keeping the water at temperature as new cold water is added to the tank. The entire setup is a heatsink, meaning it retains a lot of heat as cold water is introduced, allowing the burner to not run as often. As a bonus in the winter, it will warm/heat the water as you use the furnace since the water jacket is around the burner allowing you to have warm/hot water with minimal heat loss, and least amount of propane used.

The majority of the RV's in Europe are fitted with much smaller water storage tanks (Cassette toilets contribute to this) and even smaller propane tanks.
These Combi units are by far the most efficient water heater and furnaces available on the market.

Alloy

I wanted to install a Truma to replace the 60% efficient Suburban heater in our trailer but at the time just the OEM builders had them.

Installed a Propex as a backup which works great but it doesn't have enough BTU for winter use.

Good to know they are available at a competitive price.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The other question to ask, is are spare parts available? When/if the unit needs service, having a stateside source will be important, as will having a factory service manual or similar. I doubt you will find many dealers/shops/RV service locations that are familiar with this unit, and even fewer who stock parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz