2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDROVER

Explorer
100% guaranteed that towing numbers are bull crap for perfect optimum conditions on flat road.
On the roads of Pacific Northwest
That defender can’t tow more than 4000 lb

It’s not magic it’s a fact,
My new Tacoma says it can tow 7700, absolutely lie
4500 lb struggling to go up 6% grade.

Bobzdar

Observer
I keep seeing comments about cargo space. But I figure everyone could fit their gear in an old 110 in 1995. In 1985. And since then gear has gotten exponentially lighter and smaller. I imagine if a backpacker can go 2 weeks between resupplies, so can a defender with some extra luxuries. 4runners are the size off 100 series now aren’t they? If you need more room maybe it’s time to take that 8500 lb of towing and buy a trailer? Just a thought.

I also feel I’ve seen a few people compare it to a Jeep rubicon. Cool. Go get a rubicon. If it’s not a gladiator have fun with half the payload. Also remember jeeps aren’t made for the same stuff as rovers. Just look at their advertising. Rocks vs rhinos. Pick your poison but don’t compare them.

Don't compare them? Why? I have a gladiator Rubicon and think this matches up well. I'm actually second guessing that purchase right now. Until this, there was no competition, especially with the gladiator. Most of the others either came up short or just barely match it without being able to take the top and doors off. I think this is the first that can more than match it and make up for that. I mean, factory snorkle, winch, air compressor, 600lb roof rack, external storage, rear locker, better clearance, and when you factor in all the stuff this comes standard with that you have to option on the jeep, it's price competitive. And has a higher payload and towing. And more power and torque, even with the 4. Compare away.

blackangie

Wow, that thing gets expensive quickly! Just played around some on the configurator on the website- a "base" model is almost $50K. You can get a base model Jeep Wrangler for under $30 and the Rubicon for about $40.

Add in the V-6 and you end up over $60K. That's for the most basic one they have- no options, no accessories.

I could get a 2020 fully loaded Rubicon for mid-$50s and throw a winch bumper, winch and lights on there for the price of this thing base.
Two very different cars

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

loving the configurable TR, I wish my RRS had this!

normal_tr2.jpg
Nice find Naks!

Thats very cool.

Thorsten

I just got my Gladiator in the spring, and if I didn't love taking the roof and doors off I might be regretting it at this point...

Fully outfitted how I'd want it, it's ~$8k more than the msrp was on my Jeep. I do really like the bed on the Jeep, but this thing actually has more payload, same towing, similar off-road prowess - will depend on the terrain, but the approach, departure and breakover are better, though the Jeep has a front locker and better articulation. Plus I'm betting it has better on-road manners and it has a bunch of cool accessories I had to get aftermarket on the Jeep, which narrows the price difference....

Well done Land Rover, well done. I have a series III 109 so am what you might consider a traditionalist, but I think they've knocked it out of the park.

I really don't think this new Defender is comparable in raw off-road ability to a Rubicon spec Gladiator, if that's what you have. The solid axles, articulation, more easily modified / extensible. Better on-road manners though, I certainly agree with you there. I'm skeptical on real-world towing... but maybe.This new vehicle looks like a great rig if it were unveiled as the new Discovery. As a Defender though, I find it a miss -- and I suspect in a few years the market will show that to be the case as well. Anyway, I think you can rest easy with your purchase choice!

blackangie

100% guaranteed that towing numbers are bull crap for perfect optimum conditions on flat road.
On the roads of Pacific Northwest
That defender can’t tow more than 4000 lb

It’s not magic it’s a fact,
My new Tacoma says it can tow 7700, absolutely lie
4500 lb struggling to go up 6% grade.
D5 is known as one of the best towing vehicles in Australia.
I'm guessing the new defender will improve on this or match it at a minimum.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its interesting but that 34cu ft behind 2nd row suggests its small. And thats the 110 I think. For reference the 2020 Explorer is 47cu ft behind 2nd row. Which I thought was ok ish but not great from a gear space standpoint.

I test drove the 2020 Explorer today and drove the expedition again. I like the new Expedition but its a fatty beast and city parking might be a challenge. I can’t wait for the Bronco I need to do something soon.

The Explorer is a lousy off roader, the expedition is too mainly due to its beastly size. But they likely pass the wife test and no way is she agreeing to a jeep or pickup. I’d be happy with a Ranger but she wants butts in seats capacity?

JduRunner

Observer
I keep seeing comments about cargo space. But I figure everyone could fit their gear in an old 110 in 1995. In 1985. And since then gear has gotten exponentially lighter and smaller. I imagine if a backpacker can go 2 weeks between resupplies, so can a defender with some extra luxuries. 4runners are the size off 100 series now aren’t they? If you need more room maybe it’s time to take that 8500 lb of towing and buy a trailer? Just a thought.

I also feel I’ve seen a few people compare it to a Jeep rubicon. Cool. Go get a rubicon. If it’s not a gladiator have fun with half the payload. Also remember jeeps aren’t made for the same stuff as rovers. Just look at their advertising. Rocks vs rhinos. Pick your poison but don’t compare them.
I'm not trying to be negative about it at all. I think it is pretty awesome. I just think it is interesting that it is 7" longer than a 4Runner yet has so much less interior space. Tapers towards the back in the overhead shots. Of note straight from the Toyota website the 5th gen 4runner has more interior cargo volume than the 200 series as well. THAT I was shocked about

nickw

Adventurer
I just got my Gladiator in the spring, and if I didn't love taking the roof and doors off I might be regretting it at this point...

Fully outfitted how I'd want it, it's ~$8k more than the msrp was on my Jeep. I do really like the bed on the Jeep, but this thing actually has more payload, same towing, similar off-road prowess - will depend on the terrain, but the approach, departure and breakover are better, though the Jeep has a front locker and better articulation. Plus I'm betting it has better on-road manners and it has a bunch of cool accessories I had to get aftermarket on the Jeep, which narrows the price difference....

Well done Land Rover, well done. I have a series III 109 so am what you might consider a traditionalist, but I think they've knocked it out of the park.
Is yours a Rubicon? If so the towing capacity of this is over 1k lbs more...

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Don't compare them? Why?.....Compare away.

Let me clarify as I feel there are two types of comparisons that happen on this site.

Type 1: The person doing the comparison has a specific set of needs. Like me. Like you. I haul some things infrequently but so little that I just borrow my dads truck. I land survey a bit. I fly fish frequently. I backpack and climb. My girlfriend, myself, and our two dogs come in at 500 lbs. 80-90% of my driving is in a city. But there are definitely some rural areas I frequent just outside chattanooga. And my girlfriends mom lives 6 hours away at the beach plus we own a home in Atlanta I check up on from time to time. That’s all very personal info that allows me to compare one vehicle to another through the lens of my personal needs.

I need a decent payload, after adding some armor and gear I probably need 1400-1500 minimum if I’m taking dogs as well.

I never want to crawl rocks.

I like some creature comforts when toting clients around. Etc.

This type of comparison is reasonable and makes sense. I fully support this.

Type 2: This comparison seeks to find fault. “Well it doesn’t have ______ and _______ does!” “Well it cant _______ like my ________.” And it never stops to consider the possibility that the comparer obviously wasn’t the target market. You can say all day “well it doesn’t have the departure angle of my 92 d90” and frankly I don’t care. (Not saying you’ve personally done that just a general “you”). You can say “it doesn’t have the cargo volume of a ______” but if that’s our metric...then we all need unimogs. The fact is some people will be disappointed in the cargo volume of the 130 but the reality is many people still won’t be able to fill it up.

This car IMHO strikes a great balance between off-road capability, refinement, payload, and price. For my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94