815da and big wheels

Andrewhodgkin

Having spent many hours researching the options for getting a bigger set of tyres on my 815da I had decided on getting some 19.5 inch ones made. I have now seen a few with r20 rims and I think I can fit some 10.5r20's / 275/80r20's on. Do unimog rims fit straight on? I've seen 9x20 unimog rims which seems like the best value solution if they fit.
TIA Andy

Gretar

Hi Andy
I fitted 9x20 Unimog wheels with 275/80R20 XZL Michelin tyres on my 814DA yr 1997. I only had to do very minor alterations. On the picture the white Varios have these tyres. You could also use 17" wheels and for example Toyo Open Country tyres.

Attachments

• 20190822_090731_HDR_resized.jpg
    20190822_090731_HDR_resized.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 74

Joe917

Explorer
Hi Andy,where do you plan to take your truck, be aware 20" tires are unavailable in south America.

Andrewhodgkin

Thanks very much for the information. I am planning on an extended south American trip. I have heard about the difficulties in obtaining r20 tyres in South America. The other option for me is 19.5 rims but tyre choice is very limited. I am thinking about taking two spares. I keep going too and fro on new rim choice. Its partly because I want to increase my ground clearance that I am looking at the biggest tyres I can fit. There is only 18cm clear under the rear dif at the moment. Partly because I want to get the revs down for cruising. And partly because I really like the look of some big nobbly off road tyres.

Andrewhodgkin

Are r20 tyres completely unavailable in South America or just exceedingly hard to get hold of? With 2 spares I would have a bit more leeway. I once spent a month in France waiting for a Peugeot scooter dealer to get hold of a tyre for a French Peugeot scooter only to have to give up and get one sent from the UK(which arrived in France the day after I ordered it).

Joe917

Explorer
I have 22.5" so no issue down here but I have run into a couple of overlanders with 20" rims unable to get tires. One had destroyed both his spares and was able to buy a tire from one of the Dakar teams after the race, a used tire at full retail!

Andrewhodgkin

So I have found rims and tyres that fit but now I have a question about offset. Does anyone know the offset I need? Or how I can measure the current offset?

Cheers

Andrewhodgkin

When I say they fit I mean centre bore etc is all good but I need to know what the offset is or if there is a way around it being different

Wazak

When I say they fit I mean centre bore etc is all good but I need to know what the offset is or if there is a way around it being different
Andrew do a Google search on measuring wheel offset and backspace there's quite a few videos and lots of information on how to do it.

Barry

Neil

Observer
There is very little difference in the overall cicumference of 20 inch tyres with an 85 % profile and 22.5 inch rims with a 65% profile.

I concur with Joe. 20 inch rims are not the best choice for south America

Neil

Andrewhodgkin

Andrew do a Google search on measuring wheel offset and backspace there's quite a few videos and lots of information on how to do it.

Barry
I am completely confused about why I didn't think to look this info up. Thanks for the pointer I am going to measure them this weekend. Once I have got this sorted I'll post all the relevant information here for others to use.

Wazak

I am completely confused about why I didn't think to look this info up. Thanks for the pointer I am going to measure them this weekend. Once I have got this sorted I'll post all the relevant information here for others to use.
I think that it's called Brain fade,

Andrewhodgkin

The lug nut seats don’t look good....
That rust looks worse than it is.
The lug nut seats don’t look good....
They are fine, just a tiny bit of rust. I'm sure if you look closer you'll be able to find something to really worry me about. I think you may of ascertained from my post that I am working with a limited budget so I need to accept things not being perfect, something I'm sure you would never put up with.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94