Thinking of going from Tacoma to 4Runner

Clymber

Adventurer
I have been throwing around the idea of getting rid of the gen 2 Tacoma amd getting a 4Runner. In my head I think the coils all around will be more comfy than the leafs. I like the fact that everything will be enclosed and no water or dust getting on stuff. I have an AluCab canopy and as we all know its impossible to keep it dust free. Im wondering who has made the swap from Tacoma to 4Runner and their thoights. Was it good or bad and why

kwill

Observer
I went the other direction--from a 2014 T4R to a 2019 Tacoma. It was not really intentional and it involved a full size pickup in between which I needed for a short period to do landscaping work on a new house. There are some strong arguments for the 4Runner. In addition to the enclosed cabin and coils you also get disc brakes on all wheels, a more comfortable cabin, especially for the driver, and a bigger engine.

4runnerteq

Explorer
My story. About 15 years ago I was taking a group of Scouts on a cross state trip. It was supposed to rain that weekend, so I took the wifes 4runner instead of the truck. It rained and when we got there all our stuff was dry and nice. A few months later I sold the truck and never looked back. I started driving the 4runner & we got the wife a newer on. There are times a truck would be handy, but overall, for us the 4runner just makes more sense. Everything secured inside. If we are on a road trip the cooler and water and snacks are right behind us. Heck, most people I see around here with trucks never have anything in the bed anyway, it's always nice and new looking and they are pulling some ratty old trailer to haul the washer and dryer with. Don't want to scratch up the truck bed.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If the itch hasn't been scratched driving a pickup by now it won't ever. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool pickup person but I think for most people they make no sense. More comfortable inside an SUV, fully enclosed space.

tacollie

Glamper
I went from a Tacoma to a 4runner and back to a Tacoma. I felt the 4runner was better in everyway except it wasn't a truck. If I didn't use a truck for truck stuff I would have a 4runner or a LC.

shade

If the itch hasn't been scratched driving a pickup by now it won't ever. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool pickup person but I think for most people they make no sense. More comfortable inside an SUV, fully enclosed space.
Agreed. I'm perfectly happy with my Tacoma, but I've improved the suspension and bed storage beyond stock. I also don't have passengers crammed in the rear seats anymore.

If it makes financial sense and fits with your uses better, buy a 4Runner, and add a small trailer for hauling whatever won't go in the 4R. I prefer trailers that are large enough for 4'x8' sheet goods, with a tilt bed. One that size is often large enough for a riding mower, too.

brianrride

I went from a 2014 Tacoma to 2018 4Runner because we needed another seat belt since our 4th child was born. I absolutely loved my Tacoma and swore I'd keep it forever, but was forced to get something that could seat 6. I have to say, the 4Runner is a better build. Tighter all the way around. Not sure if it's because it's built in Japan, but the quality seems better. Take it for what it's worth, but that's my experience.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
My story. About 15 years ago I was taking a group of Scouts on a cross state trip. It was supposed to rain that weekend, so I took the wifes 4runner instead of the truck. It rained and when we got there all our stuff was dry and nice. A few months later I sold the truck and never looked back. I started driving the 4runner & we got the wife a newer on. There are times a truck would be handy, but overall, for us the 4runner just makes more sense. Everything secured inside. If we are on a road trip the cooler and water and snacks are right behind us. Heck, most people I see around here with trucks never have anything in the bed anyway, it's always nice and new looking and they are pulling some ratty old trailer to haul the washer and dryer with. Don't want to scratch up the truck bed.
I fit a full size top loading washer and dryer in the back of 4Runner with the sears down. Fit like it was designed for that purpose.

GTV

Not exactly the same scenario but I went from a Tundra (coils/leafs) to a Sequoia (coils) and the ride quality is night and day better with the same suspension setup. Also due to the shorter wheelbase the turning radius is much improved. However the main reason why I made the switch was that I wasn’t using my pickup bed like I used to so going to an SUV made sense.

Clymber

Adventurer
I have been talking tothe wife about taking a used one for a test drive and then doing the exact same route in my Tacoma. I am nervous that I will want to buy it right after though. I will need to start making a list for the build since none of us are happy with a stock vehicle. Skids, roof rack, bumpers, etc etc

shade

I was hoping for rear coils on the 3rd gen Tacoma, but Toyota has to keep the little truck in its place. Maybe the 4th gen will go that route. I'd rather change out coils for added load capacity than screw with leaf springs.

tacollie

Glamper
I was hoping for rear coils on the 3rd gen Tacoma, but Toyota has to keep the little truck in its place. Maybe the 4th gen will go that route. I'd rather change out coils for added load capacity than screw with leaf springs.
My to! Taco leafs suck for loads from the factory. At least with coils they would be plush.

gatorgrizz27

I haven’t owned either vehicle you’ve mentioned, but having owned 4 trucks and 5 SUV’s, I much prefer the SUV’s. I did use the truck beds, I pulled gooseneck trailers, work construction, hunt, own motorcycles, etc. In the majority of cases, I found the SUV’s better for protecting things like fishing rods, miter saws, tree stands, camping gear etc, both from weather and theft.

Having a roof rack that can hold a ladder or some 2x4’s, and a hitch rack for bulky/dirty stuff is really nice if you choose the SUV.

The big caveat is if you’re the kind of person that does manual work, even repairs and yard work on your own house, you really need a utility trailer. A cheap ($500-$1,000) 4x8 or 5x10 works fine, as long as you have a place to park it. I’d rather put a pallet of sod on a trailer and be able to take my time laying it, and working from a lower height than dealing with it in a truck bed. Same for rebuilding a deck, it’s easy to tear out the old one, throw it in the trailer, and let it sit until you’ve got time to make a dump run. Taking a riding mower in for service is much easier with a trailer than truck bed, loading a pallet of plywood with a forklift, it goes on and on.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My to! Taco leafs suck for loads from the factory. At least with coils they would be plush.
Overloaded springs are gonna be harsh regardless. At least with leaf springs it's easy to put a fail safe overload spring in. With coils you have to wind them progressive so you end up with either compromised travel or harsh ride to carry the payloads. It's ultimately the same problem either way with a pickup that might see a widely varying cargo. Coils have been tried, those old C10 Chevys in the 1960s and Rams recently. Ultimately you have to match your springs to what you're carrying.

Clymber

Adventurer
I dont need a pickup. Work gives me a new full size truck every 150k and also have a trailer for it. I am looking for a bit more comfort on and off trail and as all of us Tacoma owners know the seats pretty much suck. I am thinking of taking one for a test ride and then doing the same route in my Tacoma I know the stock runner will be more comfy since it’s stock doesn’t have MT on it and no lift but since I do not have a friend with one can’t really do an honest compare. For those with a 4Runner how are they on trails

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne